No announcement yet.

ESPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just always found the city+state to be indicative of a second class athletic status, for some reason.

Compare:

Memphis
    Louisville
    Miami
    Houston

with

Cleveland State
    Chicago State
    Etc.

Sure there are exceptions, but that's just how it hits me. Seems better if it's just the University of Wichita.

Comment

Originally posted by tw805
      I just always found the city+state to be indicative of a second class athletic status, for some reason.

Compare:

Memphis
      Louisville
      Miami
      Houston

with

Cleveland State
      Chicago State
      Etc.

Sure there are exceptions, but that's just how it hits me. Seems better if it's just the University of Wichita.
      I believe Memphis was Memphis State until 1994.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightwatchman
        Originally posted by tw805

Compare:

Memphis
        Louisville
        Miami
        Houston

with

Cleveland State
        Chicago State
        Etc.

I believe Memphis was Memphis State until 1994.
        And that was a definite improvement over its previous name:

West Tennessee State Normal School

per Wikipedia... :lol:
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Drop the state. I love hearing ESPN refering to us as Wichita.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse
            Dropping the State would be a mistake. We are not as big of a town and as well known in the media capitals as someone like Memphis. I submit if Boise State were just Boise, they might not have been able to recruit the good players that have helped them win football games. Subconscioulsy it tells the public that you have enough impact on your state to get state funding as a state university. This is one of those things that aint broke.
            Seems to have worked out okay for Tulsa (Yes I know they are private)

Comment

As of right now, Durley's pic is on the ESPN NCAA basketball home page.
              Get the latest NCAA basketball news, scores, stats, standings, and more from ESPN.
              Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

Originally posted by shockrah
                As of right now, Durley's pic is on the ESPN NCAA basketball home page.
                http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/
                "Valley Fever"

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.
                SFL is back!

Comment

Working...
                X