BCS Stinkers of the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCS Stinkers of the Year

Martymoose brought up a good point in another thread regarding the quality (or lack there of) of Iowa. While beating any BCS school is reason for the sun to shine brighter, we should probably temper our enthusiasm. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but in last year's Old Spice tournament we faced three equal to better teams than any we faced in KC and feel we had a better showing overall. How we do against Cleveland St on the road after beating Iowa will most likely tell us more.

Now for the fun part of this post. Is Iowa the worst BCS school? There's some tough competition out there:

Iowa lost two home games to Duquesne (4-0 currently) 52-50 and TX San Antonio 62-50.

Home Loses:
    Oregon St.: 67-43 to TX A&M-CC, 65-63 to Sacramento St.
    UCLA: 68-65 to CA Fullerton
    Stanford: 83-81 to Oral Roberts
    USC: 67-58 to Loyala Marymount
    Georgia: 60-57 to Wofford (better than the name implies)
    Alabama: 71-67 to Cornell (also better than you'd think)
    #19 Mississippi St: 88-74 to Rider
    Arkansas: 97-94 to Morgan St

Neutral Court Loses:
    Penn St: 80-69 to UNC-Wilmington & 63-60 to Tulane
    Indiana: 71-67 to Boston U
    Auburn: 84-74 to UCF
    Rutgers: 77-71 to Vermont
    Oregon: 68-55 to Montana

Road Loses:
    Stanford: 77-64 to San Diego
    #17 OU: 82-69 to VCU (no disrespect to VCU)
    Auburn: 73-62 to Mo.St. :whistle:

Oregon State is definitely challenging Iowa.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

There were a lot of neutral observers at the games. I noticed that for the most part the neutral fans cheered for WSU and Iowa on Monday, and WSU on Tuesday. After the game, I overheard 2 fans talking...one with a Mizzou shirt not sure who the other guy was a fan of. The basic jist of the conversation was that WSU looked pretty good and if they were Iowa fans with season tickets they'd demand refunds.

Comment

Some thoughts come to find in looking @ the results.

It reitterates the media & NCAA tourney biased when evaluating BCS conferences.

The results will only make it harder to get BCS conference schools 1) on the road & 2) to schedule mid-major schools (see KU & Duke). Every year I see these schools sitting @ home & think that the NCAA would help by mandating a certain percentage or number of non-conference road games to qualify for the tournament.

Maybe the mid-major coaches who have success need to realize a good thing when they have it. I don't know enough about Iowa to know when they might need a coaching change. But it seems a mid-major coach jumped to greener pastures & after 3 years is under-performing his prior program. The next job doesn't look like a promotion & might happen sooner than he may have anticipated.
        Phi Alpha

Comment

As a note, of the 20 games I listed:

7 - PAC-10 w/ 5 teams
          6 - SEC w/ 5 teams
          5 - Big 10 w/ 3 teams
          1 - Big East
          1 - Big 12

So far, it would appear that the ACC, Big East, and Big 12 are beating the teams they're suppose to and/or scheduling better teams. If this trend continues, it will be interesting to see how teams from the PAC-10, SEC, and Big 10 get to dance.

:bball_spin:

Comment

Working...
          X