No announcement yet.

Valley Pre-Season Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have my own theories about why the Shocks will be better (than last season and Illinois State).

1. Those who play the hardest are going to be playing. We'll be in much better condition than last season. Those who aren't, will be "resting." This group of guys (better be) should be hungry. Who has a spot on the floor chiseled in stone, anyway? PJ?

2. Just moving PJ to the 2 guard is a colossal improvement for this team.

3. This team will rebound the ball twice as well as last year's team (one of Turgeon's lowest margins). I'm betting Opponent FG pct. drops a bit from last year as well under the new Marshall (again, one of Turgeon's worst.)

4. Positive reinforcement. This is where I think the greatest single change will be made. Turgeon's lack of emotion (or positive emotion) was a real sore spot with me from day one. He was always scowling on the sideline. Hearing from players in teh media that they didn't really have "direct access" to the head coach seemed really odd as well. Upon hearing that Marshall is the (almost polar) opposite of Turgeon, I think we have nowhere to look but up.

Comment

"When a player comes into the office, the coaches hang up the phone and put down whatever they are working on......."

The respect thing goes both ways and I will be astonished if the end result is not wildly successful.

Comment

At least PJ got some love from the pollsters. Also found it interesting the first team was all seniors.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker
          Put me into the "I still don't get it" category.

I understand SIU at the top, but that's about it. I think 2-5 are going to be fun to watch (BU, CU, WSU, MSU), but I just do not understand the Illinois State love. Maybe someone can explain it to me? Any Redbirds on SN?

How does a team go from losing twice as many games in the conference as it won to being a force (and a sleeper) in the conference under a new coach in his first major coaching job? And with all of their off-court issues this summer, how exactly does that fill so many people with confidence?

I'd take Creighton (or any one of the other 4) over Illinois State 8 or 9 times out of 10. I know what Altman and the others have done (and will presumably continue to do.)
          Here's a Redbird fan and a semi-regular contributor to ShockerNet (My 2nd fav Valley site)!!!

I don't see how being picked 5th is "showing ISU some love". I mean......it's 5th. That's about as middle of the road as you can get in a 10 team league. I see them picking us 5th as saying we are an average team, which I see as realistic. Anywhere from 8-10 to 10-8 in league play (barring injury) is about where ISU should be.

I mean........it's not like they are picking us in the Top-3 which I would see as ridiculous. The Redbirds have a pretty talented roster, but not moreso than the 4 teams picked ahead of them and similar to the 5 teams picked behind them. They do have (potentially) 2 of the biggest match-up problems in the Valley in Dyer (who was eluded to by an earlier post in this thread) and Eldridge. I expect both of those guys to have strong seasons. If the rest of the team does a good job, they will be about 5th. if not, they will be a two-man team and likely finish around 7th like last year.

My point is that I don't see IlSU getting any overly strong love or being predicted overly high. I think 8th would be too low and 4th or higher would be too high. Jank has a good reputation and he put together an excellent coaching staff. The tempo he wants to play at, fits the roster well (on paper). The only other reason I can see why some feel IlSU is getting too much love is this:

Outside of SIU, teams 2-7 have just as many questions as they do answers and that includes the 'Birds. Athletically, the 'Birds match up pretty well with teams 2-7 in terms of speed, quickness and defenseive ability. Just my 2 cents.

:)

Comment

SIU doesn't have shooters. Last year they had Young and Tatum improved quite a bit over the last couple of years. This year.......Reports are Mullins has improved but we've seen that with Preadom. Until it's done in a game it's iffy. None of the other guys really played last year. They do have one guard that I believe played quite a bit but has no offensive game whatsoever according to SIU fans. Them being picked first is whatever. People saying they're the "clear favorite" is ridiculous.

ISU should be a good team. They have a lot of good talent returning and played everyone tough last year. I expect them to keep improving and wouldn't be surprised if they finish 4th or so. 1-6 is pretty much up for grabs.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'm interested in seeing what happens to SIU if most of the Valley plays zone against them - or maybe a box and one with one guy dogging Falker non-stop.

If SIU has to take Shaw out deep to try to break a zone, Falker could get a little lonely down around the basket.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I agree that SIU has their own questions to answer this year, someone has to step up and be their "go to guy" and I don't know that they have it. I have a wait and see take on Falker as he didn't get as many double teams as he will see this year and I'm still not sold on Shaw. SIU needs a go to guy as they aren't going to blow anyone out of the water. When it comes down to the wire they need someone who can throw them on their back and carry them. Do they have that this year? Time will tell.

With that said I don't have much issue with the rankings, it's pretty close to what I would predict and figured. I would also be willing to bet that the final standings look like NOTHING being predicted.

As Marshall stated last night, it's good motivation being picked 6th.
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

As far as WSU is concerned, I'm sure that playing a zone against SIU now on the table. I like the fact that CGM is willing change defenses.

Comment

No doubt SIU is the best team. Anybody who argues that is freakn craaaaazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                      I'm interested in seeing what happens to SIU if most of the Valley plays zone against them - or maybe a box and one with one guy dogging Falker non-stop.

If SIU has to take Shaw out deep to try to break a zone, Falker could get a little lonely down around the basket.
                      I don't think a box & 1 makes any sense to efficiently stop SIU and Falker. The "1" in a box and one is generally playing defense on a guard while the box covers the paint. To have a box and one on falker would definately clog up the paint and leave the outside unguarded. Now a box and one on D. Ruffin with PJ guarding him has potential.
                      Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

There is no way we finished 6th.
                        Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
                          There is no way we finished 6th.
                          Well that narrows it down to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th or 10th.

As to where we actaully land may have more to do with who is not currently on the roster than who is on the roster.

Clearly, our inside game is a big question mark. If EO shows up that might change from a ? to an !

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

Or more likely, a !?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle
                              Or more likely, a !?!?!?
                              It's very difficult to predict, that's for sure.

Comment

SIU and Creighton have earned their respect over the past few years. Until another team or two consistently place higher than they do....they continue to earn my respect. Altman especially has shown he can win during a down or rebuilding year.

Comment

Working...
                                X