SIU No. 23 in Coaches Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIU No. 23 in Coaches Poll

Bradley is the only other team from the Valley to receive any votes.

Their history deserves respect. I am glad someone recognizes this.

Comment

Their history does deserve respect. It's good for the Valley.

However, I think they're overrated this year.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I think 23 shows an incredible amount of respect to both SIU and the Valley. You have to love it.

That being said, I, too, think they are overated, as I think EVERY team in the Valley is overated at this point (as are most teams that are ranked in the preseason). So many teams lost personnel, it's going to be a great Valley race.

Hopefully there will be a couple of Valley teams getting votes at the end of the season - even better that WSU is one of them. 8)

Comment

The two-time defending champion Florida Gators are conspicuously absent from that top 25. So easy to fall off the radar in one year in college basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShockFan
            The two-time defending champion Florida Gators are conspicuously absent from that top 25. So easy to fall off the radar in one year in college basketball.

well when you lose all five starters...

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
              Their history does deserve respect. It's good for the Valley.

However, I think they're overrated this year.
              I'm glad that what we've accomplished over the past six years has opened eyes and moved us deeper into the national spotlight. We've received a lot of publicity this fall and today's rankings are another example.

I can't agree with ShockerFever completely but we do have a big question mark, IMO ... our guards. If the guards who replace Tatum and Young can do a decent job, we'll live up to all of our hype. If they don't, there could be a lot of crying from folks in maroon.

I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude with this team.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog

So the AP and ESPN/USA Today polls completely start over at the start of every season? I thought there was preference given in rankings to the best teams from the previous season in the first polls for the next season.

There still should be some respect shown for the national champion by at least putting them in the top 25 of the first poll. If they aren't going to be any good, then they will play themselves out of the top 25 in a few weeks anyway.

Comment

So the AP and ESPN/USA Today polls completely start over at the start of every season? I thought there was preference given in rankings to the best teams from the previous season in the first polls for the next season.

There still should be some respect shown for the national champion by at least putting them in the top 25 of the first poll. If they aren't going to be any good, then they will play themselves out of the top 25 in a few weeks anyway.

You don't think voters should take into account the fact that they lost EVERY starter?

Comment

SIU-C's is an anomaly, their success is not wholly dependent on their roster. The voters are starting to recognize this...

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                      SIU-C's is an anomaly, their success is not wholly dependent on their roster. The voters are starting to recognize this...

T

...8)
                      I see the Saluki was similar to the Bronco's running game. Can succeed with most hardworking, hardnosed players.

Comment

Keep in mind the 2005 pre-season coaches poll found the eventual National champions, Florida, ranked #35. I'm glad we have Valley schools playing highly ranked Indiana and Michigan State. Talk about being overrated. Sheeesh!

Comment

No. It's not last season anymore. The first poll recognizes who voters think will do the best, not who did well last year. Coincedentally, many of the highly ranked teams that return most of their players did well last season. Contrary to your point, if Florida proves to be a good team, they will work themselves into the polls. As it should be.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Where was Washington State expected to place in the Pac-10 last year? Butler in the Horizon?

To the contrary, where was LSU picked to finish the SEC? Syracuse the Big East?

Preseason polls are one of the biggest crapshoots in history. They're nice because, yes they do attain a lot of publicity, and we as the public, do pay a lot of attention to em whether we agree or not.

MSNSaluki,
                            I agree that SIU's guards will be the key this year. Also, add in the fact that someone has to step up and be the team leader as was the case with Tatum. I personally think SIU may be a year or two behind. You may think they'll pull through. One thing we both can agree on is that it's good for the Valley to see their name a high-profile poll.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The pre-season polls are effective conversation pieces. Nothing wrong with that.

What I do think is highly premature is Lunardi's bracketology before the spring signing period. At least with the pre-season polls the rosters are mostly set.

Comment

Working...
                              X