No announcement yet.

Perroult's picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really believe Matt picked WSU high so that he could laugh if the Shocks finish lower than "expectations".

He can say he thinks WSU will be good, but I don't believe him and I know he wants the Shocks to fail.

Comment

How does everyone think that KM will do? What kind of an impact his first season? In the HS game we all watched, he sure had a knack for stealing the ball with those long arms and great leaping ability. Granted he turned it over a lot, but the coaching staff can work on that with him. The natural gift for picking it off seemed quite apparent. I like him in a press any time. I know he won't start, but having him off the bench should be exciting for us and bad for the opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
        In Matt's valley rankings he does have WSU picked higher than any of the preseason mags (Athlon's, Lindy's, Sporting News etc.).

I have my own question in predicting WSU's finish - how much do you guys think Durley benefited from playing next to Clemente last year? I know some of you weren't real high on Durley entering the season, but he seemed to come on as the season went along. I can't get a good grasp on how much of that was purely his doing and how much of that was influenced by opponents focusing on trying to keep Clemente off the boards.

One other question if I may: Do you guys expect your offense to run more with all of your depth, or is the offensive system that was utilized last year what we should expect to see again this year?

(As an aside, I'd add that I was a big Clemente fan. I commented here and at VT that he was a player would have loved to poach. While not being a giant, he was a tenacious rebounder and inspirational leader. I realize that he wasn't a great scorer, but I'm of the belief that sometimes people put too much emphasis on scoring)
        Lindy's picked Shox 3rd as well.
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by shockar25
          How does everyone think that KM will do? What kind of an impact his first season? In the HS game we all watched, he sure had a knack for stealing the ball with those long arms and great leaping ability. Granted he turned it over a lot, but the coaching staff can work on that with him. The natural gift for picking it off seemed quite apparent. I like him in a press any time. I know he won't start, but having him off the bench should be exciting for us and bad for the opposition.
          I'm not expectinbg much from KM this year. Fill some minutes backing up Hannah and not causing problems on the court is all I ask for.

His tendency toward turnovers isn't going to be solved in two months of practices. His ability to steal and ability to get to the hoop with the ball are going to change when he's up against the speed of D1 players instead of HS players. He did get to the basket and did get steals against HS players who will be D1 players, but there is still a big difference doing it on a D1 court.

PG isn't an easy position to learn, but who knows if that's going to be his position at WSU. He could end up as a 3. 6'4" and long arms looks like possibly the best option WSU has for a couple of years, unless Hamilton has some handles.

I'm giving KM mostly a pass this year. I'd hope he can be at least as effective on the court as Stutz was last year. That's not a high standard to meet, but Fr will be Fr.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Sully's picks. He has WSU 4th. 3d entry down http://blogs.kansas.com/shockwaves/

Comment

I can understand your feelings about KM, but I have a feeling he'll be more effective than GS was last year, but we'll see. I like his pass first, shoot later mentality--something that will serve him well as a PG in the years ahead.

Comment

I'm not sayng I actually expect KM to be equally as effective this year as Stutz was last year. That is the level of KM's effectiveness I'm counting on for my expectations for the season. It doesn't bother me one little bit if the play on the court is above my expectations.

My expectations include a top-3 finish in the Valley. I'm expecting a pretty good year from some other guards, which won't leave many minutes for KM and won't require him to have a great year as a Fr.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

No doubt that Durley improved as the season went on. He may have gotten his inspiration from Clemente, but the improvement in his play came almost entirely from within Durley himself.

I've heard that it takes two years to bounce back completely from knee surgery, and the season before last it was noticeable to me that he wasn't back physically yet. With our lack of depth in '07-08, Durley was being relied on to do more than he was physically ready to do. The average fan perceived it to be lack of hustle and lost patience with JT. In '08-09, JT was healthier, even if he wasn't 100% the entire year.

I think Matty P should take a stroll over to the Omaha Von Maur store. That would make me :D .

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                    Originally posted by shockar25
                    I'm not expectinbg much from KM this year. Fill some minutes backing up Hannah and not causing problems on the court is all I ask for.

His tendency toward turnovers isn't going to be solved in two months of practices. His ability to steal and ability to get to the hoop with the ball are going to change when he's up against the speed of D1 players instead of HS players. He did get to the basket and did get steals against HS players who will be D1 players, but there is still a big difference doing it on a D1 court.

PG isn't an easy position to learn, but who knows if that's going to be his position at WSU. He could end up as a 3. 6'4" and long arms looks like possibly the best option WSU has for a couple of years, unless Hamilton has some handles.

I'm giving KM mostly a pass this year. I'd hope he can be at least as effective on the court as Stutz was last year. That's not a high standard to meet, but Fr will be Fr.
                    After looking over the rosters of the rest of the Valley, I'm going to go ahead with confidence and say that Kenny Manigault is the biggest and strongest PG in the Valley, right now.

That being said, he will be very effective at putting a body on the opposing PG and disrupting their offensive flow.

If that's all he does this year I will be happy...
                    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                    -John Wooden

Comment

Bradley's beat writer makes his picks:

Has WSU 7th

"He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan
                        Bradley's beat writer makes his picks:

Has WSU 7th

http://www2.pjstar.com/index.php/rey...l_get_to_guess
                        Another play-in game at the tournament?!! I don't think so!

Comment

I think the BU beat writer has caught the bad case of the homer bug.

BU has never finished above 4th since Les has been there. And this is the year they do it?

Doubtful.

3rd-7th is a toss-up this year in the Valley.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The way BU fans were screaming over a couple of 6th place prediction, I'm sure he didn't dare place them very far down.
                            In the fast lane

Comment

I think its interesting in all of Mattys justifications he talks about how much improved CU will be, and how he wasnt impressed with UNI last year, even though they return everyone. Did UNI not improve over the summer? Did they all go to the beach?
                              YOUSUCKITPOX

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox
                                The way BU fans were screaming over a couple of 6th place prediction, I'm sure he didn't dare place them very far down.
                                Then my fellow Bravos aren't going to be happy with my BU forecast in my upcoming Valley preview...

Homerism is for the uneducated... and Matty P...

That being said, I know the BU beat guy, and he's pretty unbiased. He probably really thinks BU will finish 3rd. I don't see it because they can't win on the road.
                                Visit the site with the most in-depth coverage of the Missouri Valley -- http://www.examiner.com/missouri-val...al/joseph-book

Follow me on twitter at http://twitter.com/mvcexaminerjoe

Comment

Working...
                                X