X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Perroult's picks

Originally posted by Shox21
    Originally posted by tropicalshox
    Big surprise here, Matt P. calls Marshall the most unpopular coach in the MVC!

"The most unpopular coach in the MVC might become the most hated by the end of his run but that doesn't mean Gregg won't win," was part of his comments when picking the Shockers to come in 3rd in the MVC this year. He also believes TM will have a big year.

Also no surprise is his pick of Creighton #1 followed by UNI.
    Okay, I'm dense. I understand fully why MattPea doesn't like GM, but why does he say he is the most unpopular coach in the MVC? Someone clue in the clueless here, please.
    during an interview our coach treated this asshat the way asshats should get treated.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
      I'm confused, this seems like premium content, but I haven't paid yet.

Will ShockerNet be sending me a bill?
      Yes. $100,000 cash. Small unmarked bills please. Hello Fiji!
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I think he's probably just making a bigger deal about it than is actually the case, but I suppose the 'screw in St. Louis' incident where coach complained openly (which he was well within he rights to do so) about the handling of it, along with one somewhat abrasive interview (again, understandable) with the Matt P. in question where I think Marshall gave him the cold shoulder a bit because of some really thoughtless questions asked (I don't remember the questions, but they were extremely generic).

Oh, and don't forget that Matt is a CU supporter, and even though we're not considered their rival (by them) we're not on any Creighton fan's Christmas card lists.

That's all I've heard. Certainly not worthy of labeling HCGM the 'most unpopular coach in the MVC'.

Comment

Re: Perroult's picks

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
          during an interview our coach treated this asshat the way asshats should get treated.
          That tickles me in a way that if Loretta tickled me that way I'd say yeah, that's nice.

Comment

"Gregg Marshall" joined in on the just completed chat Matt had on BJC. "Matt can't we just be friends?", or something like that.

Matt responded with "if you are a member change your name back please or I will block you."

Latter I asked him if he would even try to interview Gregg after CU games and he did say yes he will in St. Louis.

He thinks the Jays will run more this year. Believes Runnels will start at the 4, CU will lack 3 point shooting, Jays will bring in two JC players to fill out there 2010 scholarships. He's not as up to date as we are on this as he didn't know about the high school California kid the Jays are setting up a visit with.
            In the fast lane

Comment

I'll add that Matt does respect the Shockers and Gregg as a coach. Matt obviously believes Marshall has the drive and determination needed to dominate the Valley in the near future.
              In the fast lane

Comment

Matty P. has publicly claimed that he's talked to or knows many other MVC coaches/officials who don't like Marshall.

Comment

"Gregg Marshall" joined in on the just completed chat Matt had on BJC. "Matt can't we just be friends?", or something like that.

Matt responded with "if you are a member change your name back please or I will block you."
                  Sooooo...the answer is no?

Comment

In Matt's valley rankings he does have WSU picked higher than any of the preseason mags (Athlon's, Lindy's, Sporting News etc.).

I have my own question in predicting WSU's finish - how much do you guys think Durley benefited from playing next to Clemente last year? I know some of you weren't real high on Durley entering the season, but he seemed to come on as the season went along. I can't get a good grasp on how much of that was purely his doing and how much of that was influenced by opponents focusing on trying to keep Clemente off the boards.

One other question if I may: Do you guys expect your offense to run more with all of your depth, or is the offensive system that was utilized last year what we should expect to see again this year?

(As an aside, I'd add that I was a big Clemente fan. I commented here and at VT that he was a player would have loved to poach. While not being a giant, he was a tenacious rebounder and inspirational leader. I realize that he wasn't a great scorer, but I'm of the belief that sometimes people put too much emphasis on scoring)

Comment

He thinks the Jays will run more this year. Believes Runnels will start at the 4, CU will lack 3 point shooting, Jays will bring in two JC players to fill out there 2010 scholarships. He's not as up to date as we are on this as he didn't know about the high school California kid the Jays are setting up a visit with.
                      Does he really think that CU, needing to replace Woodfox, Dotzler and Walker, plus having very little experienced post depth, will be better than the former regular-season and tournament champions that return their entire starting lineup?

It's one thing to say you think UNI was a fluke last year (though I'd say winning both titles makes that argument a tough sell), but what he is doing is pure homerism.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
                        In Matt's valley rankings he does have WSU picked higher than any of the preseason mags (Athlon's, Lindy's, Sporting News etc.).

I have my own question in predicting WSU's finish - how much do you guys think Durley benefited from playing next to Clemente last year? I know some of you weren't real high on Durley entering the season, but he seemed to come on as the season went along. I can't get a good grasp on how much of that was purely his doing and how much of that was influenced by opponents focusing on trying to keep Clemente off the boards.

One other question if I may: Do you guys expect your offense to run more with all of your depth, or is the offensive system that was utilized last year what we should expect to see again this year?

(As an aside, I'd add that I was a big Clemente fan. I commented here and at VT that he was a player would have loved to poach. While not being a giant, he was a tenacious rebounder and inspirational leader. I realize that he wasn't a great scorer, but I'm of the belief that sometimes people put too much emphasis on scoring)
                        I think JT's success is of JT's doing. On numerous occasions Marshall commented that he finally "got it" last year. And word is that he's been one of if not the hardest workers in the off-season.

I do expect a little more pushing the ball now that we have more experienced guards. Though it may not be a noticable change.

Comment

So what you are saying is that MattP doesn't like GM because of the interview fiasco (which I knew about), and since Altman doesn't care for Marshall (which I think is evident and the feeling is more than likely returned in spades), and since whatever Altman thinks MattP thinks, he feels justified in making a blanket statement that GM is the most unpopular coach in the MVC. Obviously, since that tidbit came from MattP, everyone is supposed to accept it at face value. In other words, the way Matt P goes, so goes the Valley?

I think ONE of Matt's problems is that he keeps comparing Altman and Marshall and there should be no comparison. Each coach is good, each has his own style. I, personally, would much rather have a tiger by the tail, than a jaybird by the tail feathers. I want the passion, I want the energy, I want the intensity. In short, I want Marshall, and since we have him, I'm happy.

Comment

I agree we will probably run just a little more, maybe press a little more also, not just when we are behind.

JT has turned himself around, give him the credit he deserves.

Matt believes UNI got hot during the middle of the season and are not really THAT good. There are probably others that buy in to that but few have the guts to not give them the pre-season favorite role.

I don't think he realizes it but he is homering for Creighton. I don't see them as strong as last year.
                            In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum

Clemente, the person, had the respect of all the players. The greatest things Durley gained from Clemente last season was his passion and drive. Durley is, and was, a more talented basketball athlete than Clemente, but found out that that alone won't get you far. Durley just thought he loved basketball and that natural talent could carry you. As time went on, you could see that passion and drive was rubbing off on JT. He found out that hard work and effort actually made the game more fun and now had a new, better love of the game.

It will be that inspirational leader that might be missed the most. JT and Ramon are different type of players. It will be Blair, more than anyone, who will be looked upon to make up Ramon's rebounding.

To me, this should be a very up tempo team who, if given the opportunity, will run you into the ground. Best of all, they should be able to do just as much damage to their opponents with their defense.

Comment

I don't think anyone has seen what Durley is capable of doing yet. I don't think he improved because opponents had to watch Clemente. I think Durley improved because HE watched Clemente. Durley didn't have a full season at 100% from everything I picked up last year. Give him a full season of effort and I think Mr. Durley will surprise some people - possibly himself.

The Shox are 2 deep at every spot with only a few unproven players in that rotation. There is a lot of speed on the team and there's a tendency toward shot-blocking and stealing that's not been seen at WSU in more than a few years. I expect speed down the court after steals and recovered blocked shots.

I don't have a clue if there will be more running than that, but with the depth, conditioning, and speed on the team, I expect there will be something to get minutes to the bench and test opponent's depth. There will be tired people on the court. I expect WSU will be strong in the last 5 minutes of each half.

Marshall has the personnel to wear other teams down. I suspect he will use that possible advantage.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X