Tip Off Luncheon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip Off Luncheon

It ended about an hour ago and not so much as a peep from anyone that attended........

Or, for that matter, much at all before the event.

Seems odd to me.......

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

There wasn't a whole lot to report. No mention of EO and not too many players were able to make it due to class.

A couple of thing's mentioned by Marshall include:

-Gal is probably the most fit person on team and we should expect big things from him.
    -Matt was introduced as Matty, and "our point guard." It was mentioned that he had the best assist to turnover ratio in the league last year.
    -Making this year the best year of PT's career helping to give him selective memory down the road about his days playing college basketball.
    -When speaking about PJ he simply said, "the NBA's loss is our gain."

Comment

My favorite line, putting in my own words as I cannot remember it verbatim.....

Requirements for coming to play basketball for HCGM.....

#3 and #4 (combined) They must not be afraid of heights. We fly a charter plane to every away game and I don't want the kids to be afraid when they climb a ladder to cut down nets. I don't know if it will be this year or next but we are going to do everything possible to make Phi's last memory a good one.

Comment

Jane's veiled bribe about how there are some staff members with extra men's games tickets that might part with them if someone bought a women's season ticket was quite humerous.......I also expect someone to take her up on that.....I could see some heads churning when she said it.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

JS talking about texting recuits after hiring GM and trying to type "sup" got one of the loudest laughs of the day.

Comment

Everything that was talked about was stuff anyone who's followed the program already knew, but the "cutting down the nets" line was the biggest bit of confidence in this team that I've heard Marshall speak yet.

It came at the end of what Marshall called his "4 things you need to be a Shocker" that he tells each recruit and player.

1. Was something along the lines of working hard in the classroom and on the court.

2. Was carry yourself well and represent Wichita and WSU admirably, which he said every player has done so far "to the minute."

3. Was to not be afraid of heights, because WSU takes charter flights to all away games.

which blended into

4. Be able to climb a ladder, because you'll be cutting down nets while you're here.

Earlier, when introducing the players, he had spoken about Phil leaving a situation he didn't like at CSU, sitting out a year, starting well last year but finishing bad. He told Phil that they need to do everything they can to make sure that this, Phil's 5th year of college basketball, is his best, erasing all the bad memories of the previous 4.

When he later talked about cutting down the nets, he said that maybe that could be Phil's memory this season.
            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

TIPOFF LUNCHEON

Coach Marshall also said that PJ would be accompanying him to STL for the preseason meetings.

This might be that PJ is Preseason All Conference or each school gets to bring one player with the coach.

As I remember Paul Miller went as a senior, but I don't recall if anyone went last year.

Comment

Most of it has been mentioned. It's worth the 200 minute round trip for me to talk Shocker hoops with my father, father-in-law, and other Shocker faithful for 90 or so minutes. If you get the opportunity take the athletic department up on this wonderful opportunity.

Go Shocks!!!!
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I've had two opportunities to hear Marshall speak in person, and he has to be one of the most dynamic personalities in the coaching profession. I literally never get tired of hearing the guy speak. I think we're about to see some great things, whether it's this year or next year.

Comment

And I'm buying even more PT stock.
                    Buy low, sell high. A proven and simple process that pays big dividends. 8)
                    Above all, make the right call.

Comment

I am new to the board and a huge shocker fan. I am very excited about GM being our new coach this year and I think he will do an excellent job. i see the NCAA in our near future. By the way - - GM has 10 times more personality and expression than Turg, which I think will transfer onto the players and thier play.

Comment

Also he referred to Mantas and Ramon as comlete opposites and then as bookend forwards. I think he has big expectations for those 2.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22
                          Also he referred to Mantas and Ramon as comlete opposites and then as bookend forwards. I think he has big expectations for those 2.
                          They would seem to a great case of "opposite attracts" type of duo.

One we are told has a good perimeter game while the other is great down low. IMO HCGM isnt the only one with big expectations but either way it will be fun ton to watch.

and Melcong welcome to the board.

Comment

Re: TIPOFF LUNCHEON

Originally posted by jcdshocker
                            Coach Marshall also said that PJ would be accompanying him to STL for the preseason meetings.

This might be that PJ is Preseason All Conference or each school gets to bring one player with the coach.

As I remember Paul Miller went as a senior, but I don't recall if anyone went last year.
                            Marshall said both he and PJ are going to St. Louis for the pre-season all conference banquet/proceedings/whatever.
                            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22
                              If Ramon plays the 4, who will start the season at the 5 spot?

JT, I guess.

I think JT will become a very good player for us, but not at the 5.

Comment

Working...
                              X