Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lemuel777
    Originally posted by fuball7
    i agree that butler is an athlete and looks like he has all the potential but after watching the scrimmage and watching how bad he missed a shot, im not so sure that potential will ever develope. He should already be showing some progress and im not sure i see it.
    Fun to judge off one scrimmage and one shot, isn't it? I understand what you are saying. Hopefully he was just having a bad night.
    Butler's talents are as a shot blocker and a guy that plays above the rim. If he can hold his own at the three or four he will create some match up problems (quicker than most 4's, and longer than most 3's). I still think Butler will contribute very much to this program. Remeber he still has 4 years to improve and look how far Paul Miller came. If we have patience with him we will be rewarded with above the rim play and some excellent shot blocking.

Comment

The Canuck might be a RS candidate, and maybe Hatch, but I doubt we'll redshirt anybody. I ass ume Butler is one and done unless he shows something. He needs to learn the plays forchrissake.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock-Til-U-Drop
        although we may still be undersized in comparison to other teams in the Valley, we should definately have more aggressivness and production from our play in the paint this year. And what did we have, 17 wins last year? OH BABY!
        We are taller and from what I am hearing, much more ATHLETIC. That won't completely make up for deficiencies in size, but will go a long way.. couple that with the increased physical conditioning and intensity... I feel very good about the way this team will FINISH the season.... :goshocks:
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Butler athletism is impressive and his length is needed. Will he ever be aggresive, and tough enough mentally to use it. To me he is timid and not what I would classify a smart player. Although I see the tools I just wonder if he will ever reach potential. I guess what I am saying is he is not a skilled player, and neither was Jamar, but Jamars attitude and toughness made him what he was. I like Butler he seems nice enough but will he ever put it together mentally that is the question. :goshocks:

Comment

Originally posted by shockpower10
            Butler athletism is impressive and his length is needed. Will he ever be aggresive, and tough enough mentally to use it. To me he is timid and not what I would classify a smart player. Although I see the tools I just wonder if he will ever reach potential. I guess what I am saying is he is not a skilled player, and neither was Jamar, but Jamars attitude and toughness made him what he was. I like Butler he seems nice enough but will he ever put it together mentally that is the question. :goshocks:
            He took steps in the right direction by working hard in the classroom and on the court to get back on the team. I think GM will work on his confidence and turn him into a player.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
              Last night I was talking to DeerSlayer about size.

I looked at the roster, but I do not have it in front of me now. As I recall, we only have one scholarship player under 6-3 on the team. Of course, it is Matt Braeuer.
              Wendell Preadom is listed as 6'1". The two players that have verbaled for next year are Toure Murry a 6'3" combo guard and Clevin Hannah a 6'0" point guard. But your right I really like the size, we just need another really big guy at center.

Comment

The bottom line with Butler is: Is he willing to do what it takes and make the sacrifices necessary for him to become a good player? I was pleased with his effort off the court (i.e. in the classroom) over the summer. But he will be tested this year. As others have pointed out, he is kind of a player without a position right now – he really can't shoot well enough to be a three and he doesn't seem to have the bulk to play the four. Furthermore, there are several other players, at both positions, that are more developed right now.

Of all the players in last years class, I was most excited about Butler. His proving ground, to start with, will be the practice court, the weight room and will continue to be the classroom. On the court, I hope Butler will take what limited minutes he will get to prove himself an asset. As this moment, I think that has to be on the defensive end and on the glass.

Comment

It seems like the Magazines would make a bigger deal about the overall recruits we did bring in here this year. It seems like they pick us about in the middle of the pack.

Time will tell, but after seeing our new troops---adding AB and JT to the mix--and the soon arrival of EO---I think we are going to far surpass and exceed the expectations of the so=called experts. We are now very athletic, we have quality depth, and we are geared and ready to take the Valley by storm in due time, and make some serious noise and raise some eyebrows. Now THAT FSF can dig!!!!!!! ShockerLand is a grand place to dwell.
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22
                    Originally posted by lemuel777
                    Originally posted by fuball7
                    i agree that butler is an athlete and looks like he has all the potential but after watching the scrimmage and watching how bad he missed a shot, im not so sure that potential will ever develope. He should already be showing some progress and im not sure i see it.
                    Fun to judge off one scrimmage and one shot, isn't it? I understand what you are saying. Hopefully he was just having a bad night.
                    Butler's talents are as a shot blocker and a guy that plays above the rim. If he can hold his own at the three or four he will create some match up problems (quicker than most 4's, and longer than most 3's). I still think Butler will contribute very much to this program. Remeber he still has 4 years to improve and look how far Paul Miller came. If we have patience with him we will be rewarded with above the rim play and some excellent shot blocking.
                    In the end, a player has to put the ball in the hole, unless he has some terrific non-shooting skills. A person like Doug Gottlieb, former point guard for Oklahoma State and now a broadcaster for ESPN.

Brick layers seldom become good shooters, just as batters, who cannot hit a curve ball, seldom become good hitters.

I have seen Butler play, maybe 15 times or more. He is a brick layer, both from the field and free throw line.

Nothing would make me happier, if he improves his shot and becomes a valuable player. He is a good kid and he works hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                      As others have pointed out, he is kind of a player without a position right now – he really can't shoot well enough to be a three and he doesn't seem to have the bulk to play the four.
                      It seems like we also heard this sentiment from the previous coaching staff.

AB doesn't seem like a legitimate SF candidate to me. A good SF needs to be versatile enough to shoot the ball from 15+ feet and take the ball to the rim. If his potential is as a shot-blocker, he needs to play the 4 (on a team with an offensively skilled center), but doesn't appear to have the body to do so.

I'm glad he was able to get his classroom work in order, but Arbry is a guy who could have really benefitted by going to a juco that would help him develop his body and interior skills. For that reason, I would not be surprised to see him transfer to a juco either at semester or after the season. More and more he reminds me of Calvin Walls. But at least Calvin was fairly skilled and built for the PF spot. He just needed more time to understand offensive schemes.

Comment

If some were nervous in front of roughly 5500 fans at their "watching" point, they may be surprised when twice that many people start cheering. I don't know how that translates into nervousness, but I would certainly hope that with having that much support behind you, you'd feed off the excitement.

There's nothing like the players coming out with 3 minutes to start before tha game, almost 10000 people standing and clapping, the music starts, the cheerleaders run out with the banners and flags, and then the team runs out and everyone is screaming and clapping. I wonder if (as a player) you ever get tired of it. :yahoo: :goshocks:

Wait till LSU gets in here, or SIU, or Creighton. That LSU game is going to be a lot of fun - hopefully something like the Florida State game, albeit with a different result. 8)

Comment

Good point made by Ricky. Look at Shaq. He's had the best instructors and experts money can buy try and teach him how to shoot free throws, and he still and always will shoot 50% from the line.

Another one that comes to mind is Dennis Rodman. He was a very valuable player that couldn't throw a brick in the ocean.

Comment

I have no idea how Butler will turn out but it occurs to me that Marshall may intend to use him defensively and hope he can become a scrappy player. Against SIU, we need as many tall, scrappy players as we can find. Especially if they can hand check and get away with it.

Hand Check
                            To use one or both hands, intermittently or continuously, on an opposing player, especially the ball handler. A personal foul.
                            Hand-Checking ...

Q: Alright, could you break down the rules for me concerning hand checking or using a forearm in post defense in order to maintain your established area of the floor (as opposed to pushing the offensive player out)?

A defensive player is not permitted to retain hand contact with an offensive player when the player is in his "sights" unless the defensive player is from Southern Illinois University. Hand checking will be eliminated by rigid enforcement of this rule by all officials.

;-) :yes: :lol:
                            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Interesting topic.

I looked at the roster, but I do not have it in front of me now. As I recall, we only have one scholarship player under 6-3 on the team. Of course, it is Matt Braeuer.

I like size at the guard positions and I suspect Coach Marshall does too.

I am confused about Ellis. Is he a 2-3 guy or strictly a 3 guy? Or maybe a 3-4 guy, after he gains some weight.
                              Preadom has got be be shorter than 6'3". standing next to him i'd say he's 6'1" or 6'2" at most.
                              disclaimer - i havn't seen him in quite a few months.
                              veni, vidi, vici

Comment

Originally posted by notquiteBWing
                                Interesting topic.

I like size at the guard positions and I suspect Coach Marshall does too.

I am confused about Ellis. Is he a 2-3 guy or strictly a 3 guy? Or maybe a 3-4 guy, after he gains some weight.
                                Preadom has got be be shorter than 6'3". standing next to him i'd say he's 6'1" or 6'2" at most.
                                disclaimer - i havn't seen him in quite a few months.
                                Yes, you are correct and I am wrong.

Players less than 6-3 tall are Harris, Preadom and Braeuer.

Scholarship players less than 6-3 tall are Preadom and Braeuer.

Interestingly, we have 7 players in the 6-6 to 6-8 range.

Comment

Working...
                                X