Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So FIU is asked to be part of the Coaches V Cancer....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So FIU is asked to be part of the Coaches V Cancer....

And how do they respond? By whining about them agreeing to open against Ohio St...but instead they are playing North Carolina. I mean really, how many chances do you get to play the "big boys" anyway. Is it worth threatening to pull out of the event?

I guess I don't understand why it would matter so much to them. Maybe it's a good reason that I'm not thinking of right now? (Other than the argument that they were "told" one thing and another happened)

Florida International will pull out of the Coaches vs. Cancer Tournament unless tournament organizers honor the original agreement and allow FIU to open with Ohio State and not North Carolina.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Isaih Thomas is going to break a contract before he ever coaches a game for FIU. He bankrupted the CBA and the Knicks had to pay something like $14mm to settle a harrasment suit before they fired him. FIU is getting the notoriety they were seeking.

When Thomas was introduced at the press conference as their new coach whoever was introducing him said "welcome Isaih Thompson." They hired him for his name and they couldn't get that right.

Comment

Ooh!!! oooh!! oooh!! oooh!! Hey, over here!! :posterwsu: :posterwsu:

Pick me! Pick me! :posterwsu: :goshocks: :wsu_posters: :posterwu:

I'll play 'em!!!

Comment

I kind of agree with Thomas and FIU. If they were indeed told that the either/or would be Ohio St. and then it was switched without them being told. I would be PO'd about that too.

Comment

Haven't we gone over this before? Mid-majors mean nothing to the NCAA. Even if Isaih Thompson is the coach!

Comment

Or Isaih Thomas. :good:

Comment

Or maybe even IsIAh Thomas!! I mean, if you're going to critique, then at least be right.

Comment

Originally posted by ShauXTyme
                Or maybe even IsIAh Thomas!! I mean, if you're going to critique, then at least be right.
                Haaaaaaa!! Ooops! Touche my friend...

Comment

I'd say put us in their shoes. If we were suppose to open with Ohio St. and then got bent over into playing UNC I wouldn't be happy either.

Not good for a program trying to pick itself up again to go out and get land blasted by UNC in their first game, as opposed to having a lot better chance against a Big Ten team.

Comment

Originally posted by OKC Shocker
                    I'd say put us in their shoes. If we were suppose to open with Ohio St. and then got bent over into playing UNC I wouldn't be happy either.

Not good for a program trying to pick itself up again to go out and get land blasted by UNC in their first game, as opposed to having a lot better chance against a Big Ten team.
                    If I were a player at FIU I would much rather play UNC than Ohio State. Even if I were a fan of FIU I would rather see that happen. What FIU's athletic director and Isiah Thomas need to realize is that they aren't going to win either of those games and that the exposure and experience of playing UNC will be much greater for the FIU program than playing Ohio State will be. I find it hilarious that FIU is trying to bully the Coaches v. Cancer organizers. I say kick FIU out and find another team. They are just being crybabies becuase from everything that I have read on the topic the contract between FIU and Coaches v. Cancer says that they would play either Ohio State or North Carolina. That's what they agreed to and they should hold up their end of the bargain.

Comment

Also, consider this piece of information from Andy Katz.....

The contract the sports marketing firm Gazelle Group has with Florida International doesn't have much wiggle room. It simply states that "the participant [FIU] will play one away game, on one of the above dates, at either the University of North Carolina or Ohio State University."

Let's take a little deeper look at this.

FIU is getting three home games out of this event -- North Carolina Central (Nov. 20), James Madison (Nov. 22) and Murray State (Nov. 23). The Panthers have to play one road game -- as far as Gazelle is concerned, at North Carolina, not Ohio State.

A year ago, FIU was in the CBE Classic and played three home games (Cleveland State, Toledo and non-Division I West Georgia) and then played at Washington. So in two seasons, FIU -- I repeat, F-I-U -- received six home games and just two road games from the organizers. That's rather generous considering the Panthers haven't really done anything on the court to justify being a relevant figure on the college basketball map.

Comment

Working...
                      X