Coach Marshall on KGSO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Marshall on KGSO

Coach Marshall will be a guest on the "Gameplan" with Chris Allison on Wednesday morning at 8:40am.

Will also be on Sports Daily at 9:30

Comment

Originally posted by wushock
      Will also be on Sports Daily at 9:30
      I'm glad he'll be on with Chris and the gameplan, then I won't have to suffer through Bruce and Boob to hear Coach Marshall.

Comment

I try to listen to both shows. Especially when i know they will be talking about WSU basketball. But, im sure there will be no earth shattering news to report on this time of year. Of course with GM, he can sometimes let the cat out of the bag without actually opening the bag :)
        Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
        Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Re: Coach Marshall on KGSO

Originally posted by SportsRadio 1410 KGSO
          Coach Marshall will be a guest on the "Gameplan" with Chris Allison on Wednesday morning at 8:40am.
          Had to be in a meeting and was not able to check it out. What does Coach have to say?

Comment

Links to podcast or archive of broadcast?

Thank

Comment

Here are the highlights as I remember them (typed fast so if there are grammatical or typing errors, ignore them).

Marshall will attend the last tournament of summer is in KC starting tomorrow morning.

Said that you go to major tournaments because so many players are there and you can get a great deal done in a short period of time. When you go to Vegas and there are four different tournaments going on like 17 and under, 16 and under, etc., you can see a lot of players all in one trip.

There was a national tournament as well as another one in Orlando last week. You cover as many as can. They do identify players that they want to follow and go watch them, but sometimes you discover another player that maybe you didn’t know about before.

When asked about whether they were concentrating more on juniors in high school for 2011 and not so much on 2010 because we are pretty full up, Marshall commented that we have only one senior this year, however, the chances are out of 13 guys someone may not come back and if a scholarship should open up, you have to be ready with someone to cover. Mentioned the situation with Hawkins and Chamberlain last year as examples.

While he has been looking for special players in 2010 class, he did say that we will have four of our guys end eligibility in 2011, so that has been the focus.

Asked to comment on Williams and Richardson: Both are very young. Had his eye on Richardson for quite a while-- he is a very good shooter, 6'4", very strong, will be Valley ready, good student. Early on will not be as effective as a 5th year Hawkins would have been, but will get better and better with youth.

As to Williams, Marshall said that Couch Grant evaluated him. He, like Richardson, is 17 years old. He plays with a chip on his shoulder, very aggressive, thinner, has some baby fat yet, very skilled, can pass and can really defend.

We have four young players with different strengths Williams, Richardson, Manigault and Hamilton. This is a solid core. When you add Coy, you have a solid 5 man unit as freshmen.

This is a tough time for a coach because you can’t coach and you can’t watch. Says the worst rule in NCAA basketball is the “can’t watch” players rule. Does get reports from people who watch - team managers or whomever.

All the guys are working in the weight room. Only one that is not here is Coy because he has been playing baseball all summer (and still is). Great group of kids, getting to know each other, guys getting along great.

Garrett - doing great, is up to 250 lbs. Was 218 when he signed. Has improved his mile time, working hard in weight room. He can carry more than the 250, has a really big frame - has room for more weight. With added weight won’t be able to be pushed around as much.

The schedule is finalized - the last game contract arrived last week. Now has to finalize the exhibition schedule, then the full schedule will be released. Lot of high majors, Texas Tech and LSU in CKA. The CBE will have a couple of home games, then we go to KC (two of the games there will be with either Pitt, Texas or Iowa.)

When asked about playing in IBA, he said he would in future years prefer to have a pre conference game there. Would like to play at least one game there every year. Wants to be able to show recruits IBA when they come in town.

Talked about camps and some of the charitable events he has taken part in this summer.

Family doing well. Daughter is excited about school. Son loves the Shocker players and goes there as much as he can.

No “cat out of bag” comments this time. Didn’t even elude to Orupke.

Comment

"Texas Tech and LSU in CKA."

Great report, I do think that instead of LSU, he said TCU.

Comment

Originally posted by RockChalkWUShock
                  "Texas Tech and LSU in CKA."

Great report, I do think that instead of LSU, he said TCU.
                  You are probably right. I must have been listening fast as well as typing fast. Sorry if I got it wrong. NOW here is the report on Sports Daily. The best is first.

Best news of all - We have only one scholarship to give in 2010 “and that one is pretty much spoken for”.

Mentions that even though the four freshmen (sans Coy) are working in the weight room, they don’t know yet what a D1 workout is like. You can tell them what it is like, but until they get to that first workout, they just don’t understand.

Said he talked to Murray at beginning of summer and Toure said he was working really hard. Marshall asked him if he was working harder than last year and Murray laughed. Murray said he wanted to be a great player and that was the reason he was working so much harder this year because last year he just didn’t understand what it took. He does now.

Durley is the most changed player Marshall has ever been around in 25 years. He gets it now.

Said Murray may play some 3.

We have a full compliment of players for the first time and can (didn’t say he would) consider red shirting some.

This is the first time we have had 13 sch players on roster. If a freshman comes in a plays a lot of minutes this year, it means he is beating out an experienced player for time – and that’s a very good thing because it means the freshman is playing really, really well.

NOW I HAVE TO OPEN MY OFFICE DOOR AND GET BACK TO WORK BEFORE I GET MYSELF FIRED.

Comment

Just listen to sport daily interview, HCGM pretty much said the same thing that shox21 listed, but i will add a few things

-talked about 2010 recruiting and how we only have 1 schollie left and he said " I feel pretty good about a commitment we have to fill that 1 scholarship we have left, someone that everyone is familiar with, if you know what i mean"

-Said JT Durley has made more progress as it concerns to work ethic than other player he has coached in 25 years.
                    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Said a lot of the same on Bruce and Bob. Said he's starting to look at 2012 recruits. Didn't exactly alllude to Orukpe, but said they had a prospect that's known for next year's available scholarship.

Commented about Durleys' transformation and how long it took Durley to "get it". Even now Durley every once in a while slips back to not doing some of the thigs he should be doing.

Talked about the experience difference. Said that Murry told him Murry had been working like never before. Coach asked why. Murry said he didn't believe Coach when he told Murry how difficult it was going to be to change to D1 ball, but once Murry saw it, he decided to do whatever it took to be ready for it.

Coach thought that experience was rubbing off on the younger players quicker and easier than last year.

Coach didn't mention much about specific players and dodged the question whether he had anything in mind for a player rotation. He did say he's in a position to redshrit a freshman and I thought it sounded like he'd considered shirts for possibly more than one.

--------------------------------------------------------
                      My editorializing follows:

Please don't read anything into that redshirt situation. Just because a team is in a position to use redshirts, that doesn't mean they are going to be used. Coach has been pretty isolated from players because of NCAA rulings, so he's not as familiar with the players now as he will be in a couple of months.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21
                        Here are the highlights as I remember them (typed fast so if there are grammatical or typing errors, ignore them).

Marshall will attend the last tournament of summer is in KC starting tomorrow morning.

Said that you go to major tournaments because so many players are there and you can get a great deal done in a short period of time. When you go to Vegas and there are four different tournaments going on like 17 and under, 16 and under, etc., you can see a lot of players all in one trip.

There was a national tournament as well as another one in Orlando last week. You cover as many as can. They do identify players that they want to follow and go watch them, but sometimes you discover another player that maybe you didn’t know about before.

When asked about whether they were concentrating more on juniors in high school for 2011 and not so much on 2010 because we are pretty full up, Marshall commented that we have only one senior this year, however, the chances are out of 13 guys someone may not come back and if a scholarship should open up, you have to be ready with someone to cover. Mentioned the situation with Hawkins and Chamberlain last year as examples.

While he has been looking for special players in 2010 class, he did say that we will have four of our guys end eligibility in 2011, so that has been the focus.

Asked to comment on Williams and Richardson: Both are very young. Had his eye on Richardson for quite a while-- he is a very good shooter, 6'4", very strong, will be Valley ready, good student. Early on will not be as effective as a 5th year Hawkins would have been, but will get better and better with youth.

As to Williams, Marshall said that Couch Grant evaluated him. He, like Richardson, is 17 years old. He plays with a chip on his shoulder, very aggressive, thinner, has some baby fat yet, very skilled, can pass and can really defend.

We have four young players with different strengths Williams, Richardson, Manigault and Hamilton. This is a solid core. When you add Coy, you have a solid 5 man unit as freshmen.

This is a tough time for a coach because you can’t coach and you can’t watch. Says the worst rule in NCAA basketball is the “can’t watch” players rule. Does get reports from people who watch - team managers or whomever.

All the guys are working in the weight room. Only one that is not here is Coy because he has been playing baseball all summer (and still is). Great group of kids, getting to know each other, guys getting along great.

Garrett - doing great, is up to 250 lbs. Was 218 when he signed. Has improved his mile time, working hard in weight room. He can carry more than the 250, has a really big frame - has room for more weight. With added weight won’t be able to be pushed around as much.

The schedule is finalized - the last game contract arrived last week. Now has to finalize the exhibition schedule, then the full schedule will be released. Lot of high majors, Texas Tech and LSU in CKA. The CBE will have a couple of home games, then we go to KC (two of the games there will be with either Pitt, Texas or Iowa.)

When asked about playing in IBA, he said he would in future years prefer to have a pre conference game there. Would like to play at least one game there every year. Wants to be able to show recruits IBA when they come in town.

Talked about camps and some of the charitable events he has taken part in this summer.

Family doing well. Daughter is excited about school. Son loves the Shocker players and goes there as much as he can.

No “cat out of bag” comments this time. Didn’t even elude to Orupke.
                        Thank you 21. Tremendous update. I'm extremely excited.

One thing I did catch from the 9:30 interview with Bruce and Bob is that he did elude to Orukpe, not by name, but when he mentioned that there was only one available scholorship currently for 2010, he mentioned that it was spoken for by someone whe everybody know about.

He also indicated a chance of Richardson or Hamilton redshirting, and then said that with this roster, it gives them the chance to redshirt almost anyone.

He talked about a discussion with Toure where Toure told him that he was working much harder this year than last because he just did not understand how hard it was last year.

He also discussed the change in J.T. Said he had overhauled himself more than any player he had seen in his 25 years of coaching.

C'mon October.

Comment

Thanks for the reports, guys.

The news about Murry and Durley have me excited. What a great one-two punch they can be. Then add in what Hannah can do and I like our chances to compete in the Valley.

In Marshall's first year we had a pretty good core with Matt, PJ and Phil. But the cracks weren't filled in very well. That is no longer going to be a problem. (Blair, Hatch, Kyles, Stutz, Manigault, Ellis)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeShox
                            C'mon October.
                            Amen

:clap:

Comment

Thanks Guys !!!

:wsu_posters:

Comment

Working...
                              X