Katz's article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katz's article

About half way down: WSU should be in the MVC title mix.

Pretty big season coming up. We still have a young team but there will be much higher expectations this year. If they don't live up to it not much better will be expected from them the next year.
    In the fast lane

I have a feeling that next years conference race will be the same as last years in that there will be many teams fighting for separation from the pack and having a hard time doing it.

The big difference will be that the conference will be twice as good top to bottom.

Comment

The pack was jammed up but Northern Iowa and Creighton ran way ahead with the Redbirds as a distant pretender.
      In the fast lane

Comment

I think Creighton falls off a bunch without Woodfox and Dosler.

Comment

I agree. Woodfox was Creighton this year. I don't see anyone replacing him. P'unk is just there to look pretty and make spectacular dunks. But I doubt he is a 14-15+ ppg scorer this year.
          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1
            I agree. Woodfox was Creighton this year. I don't see anyone replacing him. P'unk is just there to look pretty and make spectacular dunks. But I doubt he is a 14-15+ ppg scorer this year.
            Put me in that camp as well. Eventhough Lawson looks to be a fine post player, they have zero post depth.

I think most people are severely underestimating the impact of the loss of Dotzler. A few items of note:

1. He had 121 assists to 35 turnovers, which is a 3.5:1 ratio.

2. He had 70 steals to 35 turnovers, which means that on steals alone he caused twice as many opponent turnovers as he committed.

3. On the season, CU was outrebounded by 118 by opponents, but made up for it by committing 132 fewer turnovers than their opponents. Dotzler was the key to this, however. In addition to leading the team in steals and having the lowest turnover numbers for anyone averaging over 16 minutes per game (and at the point guard spot), he also was the only player to have more steals than turnovers.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
              Originally posted by wsushox1
              Put me in that camp as well. Eventhough Lawson looks to be a fine post player, they have zero post depth.

I think most people are severely underestimating the impact of the loss of Dotzler. A few items of note:

1. He had 121 assists to 35 turnovers, which is a 3.5:1 ratio.

2. He had 70 steals to 35 turnovers, which means that on steals alone he caused twice as many opponent turnovers as he committed.

3. On the season, CU was outrebounded by 118 by opponents, but made up for it by committing 132 fewer turnovers than their opponents. Dotzler was the key to this, however. In addition to leading the team in steals and having the lowest turnover numbers for anyone averaging over 16 minutes per game (and at the point guard spot), he also was the only player to have more steals than turnovers.
              Dotzler also, when left open, nailed his shots. He wasn't looked upon to score, but don't leave him open.

Guard play is key in the valley. It has always been a strength for CU. I'm sure they have a few cappable players. But those two are some pretty big shoes to fill.

P'Allen won't lead them anywhere, I'm not sure his teammates would follow him!

Comment

Dotzler also, when left open, nailed his shots. He wasn't looked upon to score, but don't leave him open.
                08-09 Season

FG % - 30.4

3 Pt. % - 13.0

FT % - 79.1
                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio

08-09 Season

FG % - 30.4

3 Pt. % - 13.0

FT % - 79.1
                  If we could only guard people at the free throw line...
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

08-09 Season

FG % - 30.4

3 Pt. % - 13.0

FT % - 79.1
                    Thanks Ricky; when I read that initial quote I thought it was a bit of a head scratcher.

Dotzler's strengths were as a floor general and the best defender on the team. His scoring (or lack thereof) will not be missed.

Comment

08-09 Season

FG % - 30.4

3 Pt. % - 13.0

FT % - 79.1
                      Obviously he took a bunch of shots when he wasn't open.

Comment

08-09 Season

FG % - 30.4

3 Pt. % - 13.0

FT % - 79.1
                        I'm certainly not making any claims about Dotzler as a scorer, but where did you get your stats?

The stats for 08-09 that I have break down like this:

FG % -- 36-94 -- .383

3 Pt. % -- 8-23 -- .348

FT % -- 26-43 -- .605

"Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter

08-09 Season

FG % - 30.4

3 Pt. % - 13.0

FT % - 79.1
                          I'm certainly not making any claims about Dotzler as a scorer, but where did you get your stats?

The stats for 08-09 that I have break down like this:

FG % -- 36-94 -- .383

3 Pt. % -- 8-23 -- .348

FT % -- 26-43 -- .605

http://www.gocreighton.com/fls/1000/...9/teamcume.htm
                          I did 10 Hail Marys.

I apologize to the forum. The stats I cited were for the '07-'08 season.

Clearly, Josh made a nice improvement with the '08-'09 over the '07-'08 year.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

No problem Ricky. Apparently some of Dotzler's best fans weren't aware of his stats.

Comment

May as well stir up the pot a bit right about here.

The article listed CU, SIU, IllSt, UNI, and WSU as the title contenders. That's half the league, which doesn't really say much.

Let's narrow that down a bit. Does the loss of Woodfox, Dotzler, and Walker - plus some other issues at CU move them out of the top 3 and into tthe 4-5 spot? Is WSU improved enough to move into contention for a top-3 finish?
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                              X