Is basketball #1 in WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is basketball #1 in WSU

From reading the post on this site I can assume that basketball is #1 in Wichita like every one here loves Football(Alabama) I guess my son saw this on his first visit,I am very proud that Tyler choose to go to WSU.I myself was very impressed when I visited in June to bring him there.I rest easy at night knowing that he is in good hands of some of the nicest and most helpful people I have ever met Thank You Shockers

Thanks for stopping in. Yes, Basketball does rule the roost. We are very glad to have Tyler here, everyone I have talked to that has met him says he is a first rate kid.

Hopefully you can make it up for some games so you also can experience first hand what can't be felt through numbers on paper or photos.

Comment

I heard that something may be going on around christmas Do you have any more info maybe some dates and times because I will be back )

Comment

For most fans, the answer is probably "Yes." From the "Cleo Littleton days" in the 1950s to the "Dave Stallworth days" in the 1960s to the "MTXE, The Bookends & X-man days" in the early 1980s to the Sweet 16 team in 2006, Shocker fans have loved basketball. Coach Ralph Miller was here during part of the 1950s and 1960s and "created" WSU basketball. Even in "off years," Shocker fans show up and support the team.

However, with a National Championship (over Texas) in 1989 in the College World Series, a great baseball stadium and great teams over the years, Shocker fans also love baseball.

Volleyball? Top 5 attendance in the nation in 2008 and ranked #18 at the end of the year.

Bowling? (Not a NCAA sport) Best team in the nation. 16-18 National Titles.

ETC.

WSU fans spread a large tent and embrace anyone willing to join the Shocker Nation and represent WSU.
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

As Spangler said, from a relative standpoint baseball and volleyball get amazing support. But when it comes to absolute numbers for fan interest and support, basketball is king.

Comment

Just wait till the season starts, this board will be very emotional. It's slow and there's not much to talk about right now.

Comment

The support by the school is pretty amazing in all sports, but yes, basketball here equates to your football there.

Welcome aboard!

:posterwsu:
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Wichita is pretty much "nuts" about anything to do with WSU basketball. Even in the down decade of the '90's, there were still over 6,000 people watching every losing home game.

Now that there's been some success, there will be 10,503 (I think that's the sellout number) at every game next year. Charles Koch Arena is insanely loud. Decibel levels will reach 110 - 115 during runs. The crowds are (hopefully) reasonably loud during all phases of most games and pretty knowledgeable about the game.

The players currently at WSU will almost never see an empty seat in the arena throughout their college BB careers. They will hear roaring crowds for comebacks, runs, and even great individual plays that aren't part of a big run or comeback.

WSU fans appreciate the WSU players. That doesn't mean WSU fans won't be critical of WSU players. Sometimes with cause and sometimes without. WSU fans expect wins. Some fans are always ready to point fingers if the wins don't come at the level they expect.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

We love everything Basketball here, and the Shockers are #1. We have a great coach in Gregg Marshall, and his staff, as well. He is finally getting 'his' team assembled and we are really glad to have Tyler be a part of that.

Many of our past players come to love WSU and Wichita, and keep roots here long after they graduate.

We're loud and proud in our arena rooting for our guys. Our arena has a 'bowl' effect which intensifies the action even more. We fill the seats, and support our team.

As it was said before, just wait till the season starts, and this board will 'light' up with discusssions.

Comment

Re: Is basketball #1 in WSU

Originally posted by trich1963
                    From reading the post on this site I can assume that basketball is #1 in Wichita like every one here loves Football(Alabama) I guess my son saw this on his first visit,I am very proud that Tyler choose to go to WSU.I myself was very impressed when I visited in June to bring him there.I rest easy at night knowing that he is in good hands of some of the nicest and most helpful people I have ever met Thank You Shockers
                    Welcome trich1963, I'm sure I speak for many Shocker fans, it is awesome when a parent such as yourself, joins us here. May I add that we are honored and pleased that Tyler choose WSU to continue his basketball career. Yes, basketball is #1 here in Wichita.

If Tyler works hard and listens to his coaches (I have no doubts that he won't) he has a good chance to be forever loved in this community.

The likes of X, AC, Stallworth or Cliff (who all made it to the NBA) are loved by Shocker fans forever. But, we don't stop there. There are many other players who didn't make it to the NBA that are held in high regards to this city. Such as Sherrod, Perez, Smithson, Wilson, Miller, Cheese, Cooper, PJ, Brauerer and many more.

These are the hopes we have for your son, and of course a quality education.

Here's wishing you and your family the best of luck and blessings from all of us.

:wsu_posters:

Comment

I don't see the value in asking whether basketball is #1 to the exclusion of the other sports. I think it pits basketball against baseball and the answer to the question doesn't serve anybody. We support in stupendous fashion both basketball and baseball and some other sports and I consider all of the athletes and their sports indispensable. I am sure many posters are just basketball fans

Comment

I cant wait till season starts,As soon as I see a schedule Im gonna book a flight

Comment

The tournament in Kansas City would be a good event to attend and see more than one game - Nov. 23rd and 24th.

Comment

Thanks I will check on tickets now

Comment

Originally posted by trich1963
                              Thanks I will check on tickets now
                              even you go to that, you still gotta go to a game at Koch arena. Its the best basketball atmosphere in the nation IMO. Of course i may be a little biased :D
                              Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Working...
                              X