Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas

It maybe a bit early for this, but I'm bored.. In the event of WSU and Texas playing eachother up in K.C. this season, would this WSU team be ready for the match up? This is why I am in favor of WSU leaving the MVC. Our non-confrence schedule last season was tough enough for our young team and the non-confrence schedule this season won't be a lot different, then the MVC is trench warfare, yet it's what they have to play through if they have any prayer for the post season. All because the MVC gets no respect what so ever. I remember HCGM taking heat last season because of the schedule. I didn't blame HCGM then, and don't intend on ever blaming him for the schedule. WSU--NEEDS--TO--LEAVE. Switching to a more respectable confence would make it easiar on the schools coaches, players and oh yeah--FANS. :goshocks:
    it's up in the air

Where would we go?

Comment

i would be in favor of the valley bringing back the RPI penalty for schools that don't schedule tougher...a-la illinois state - but i'm not in favor of the shockers leaving the valley. agree with hotel paper - where would we go?

alternatively, i would be in favor of booting the following schools and replacing them with the following:

northern iowa ---- st louis (basketball)
      drake (will never happen due to history) ---- butler (basketball)
      indiana state ---- oral roberts (baseball)
      evansville ---- memphis (basketball)

Comment

where

I think WSU leaving the MVC is more realistic than teams like Butler and Memphis deciding to join the MVC. Let's face it either WSU needs to leave or the MVC needs to get a face lift. Until that happens head coaches like TURGE and Marshall won't make it a point to stay very long.
        it's up in the air

Comment

How many teams in the country would like to move up to a better conference?

Sorry, you better just learn how to deal with it. It could be worse.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Re: where

Originally posted by gamefan
            Until that happens head coaches like TURGE and Marshall won't make it a point to stay very long.
            Turgeon stayed 8 years. That is the same as Gene Smithson and Ralph Miller stayed 13.

The average tenure of coaches at the BCS schools is

ACC - 8 years
            Big E - 6 years
            SEC - 5 years
            Big 10 - 4 years
            Big 12 - 3 years

So, evidently it doesn't really matter what conference your in. Ultimately it will come down to this:

a) If Marshall does well he will have a choice to make. He can make a good living for him and his family and can become a big in fish in a small town and probably retire here if he wants. He will also get much homage for his success on the national scene.

b) Or Marshall might decide to try and take his success and go for the big paycheck and roll the dice at BCS conference. He will probably last 4-8 years unless he get lucky. He won't get much homage for any success because he's at a BCS school and success is expected.

c) Or Marshall fails to make progress and he gets fired after 5 years.

Comment

Re: where

Until that happens head coaches like TURGE and Marshall won't make it a point to stay very long.
              I was wondering when the next "Marshall's gonna quit and run out on us!" thread was going to start...
              Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
              Students > Alumni
              If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
              The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

There are recruits that go to a BCS conference school because it's BCS. It would be easier to recruit if we were in one. But we are not going to be.

I don't think any teams are coming to the Valley that will make much of an impact in basketball. I would love for it to happen, but it won't.

We need a great coach who can slowly build up recruiting and therefore start dominating the Valley and become successful in the post season. We have him. Next step is be willing to make it a very unwise decision for him to leave when success draws the attention of other schools looking for a coach. We have the ability to do that also.
                In the fast lane

Comment

Re: Texas

It maybe a bit early for this, but I'm bored.. In the event of WSU and Texas playing eachother up in K.C. this season, would this WSU team be ready for the match up? This is why I am in favor of WSU leaving the MVC. Our non-confrence schedule last season was tough enough for our young team and the non-confrence schedule this season won't be a lot different, then the MVC is trench warfare, yet it's what they have to play through if they have any prayer for the post season. All because the MVC gets no respect what so ever. I remember HCGM taking heat last season because of the schedule. I didn't blame HCGM then, and don't intend on ever blaming him for the schedule. WSU--NEEDS--TO--LEAVE. Switching to a more respectable confence would make it easiar on the schools coaches, players and oh yeah--FANS. :goshocks:
                  When we add D1 football we can talk about leaving until then, we aren't going anywhere.

Comment

Re: Texas

Originally posted by martymoose
                    When we add D1 football we can talk about leaving until then, we aren't going anywhere.
                    Even if we add D1 football, what conference is it that we would be joining that gets more respect for basketball than the MVC?
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

LOL ... We aren't going to change conferences simply because some fans want to .... there is a little more to it than that.

And in talking about Texas, there are 3 Texas teams, it would help if you would qualify which one you are talking about, I am assuming Texas Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                        And in talking about Texas, there are 3 Texas teams, it would help if you would qualify which one you are talking about, I am assuming Texas Tech.
                        No. If you read the first sentence, he said Texas.. as in Texas.. as in the University of Texas.. as in the University of Texas at Austin.. that we *may* play in KC at the CBE Classic.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                          LOL ... We aren't going to change conferences simply because some fans want to .... there is a little more to it than that.

He's talkin' about the big T!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Without football any kind of change is pointless.

The Valley does need to bring back the RPI punishment. That's the only way the Valley will get more respect is by playing and beating/competing against better competition. If the bottom teams can do some of that they won't be such a drag on the upper teams.

Illinois State is too good to be scheduling so poorly. That's frustrating for everybody. Especially ISU fans.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

WSU won't leave the MVC because no other league that is viewed to be better would take them. WSU will literally have to win every sport, year in and year out, to make one of two things happen: 1, the MVC members ask WSU to leave, or 2 WSU adds more sports and moves on. 2 isn't going to happen, so 1 is the only option that I could see happening and that is looking through something like the Hubble Telescope to see it.

The MVC needs to punish Illinois St for scheduling nothing more than a good D2 non-con schedule. I think Evansville schedules better OOC than ISU Red has been. The last time that the RPI rule was in effect, the MVC sent 4 teams to the dance. They sent how many since then? And they also need to dump the bracket busters games. Those are dragging down RPI usually too, with the exception of getting a game with Butler.

Comment

Working...
                              X