Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trading Arch Madness for Basketball-n-BBQ-Land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since there's only been one event at the Sprint Center so far (Elton John) there's not much to go on, but the first take is that the design is a little off. It's been stated that if you go, make sure to get lower level seats, as the upper level seats were built so that everyone has the best view. It's almost as if you're looking straight down on the court. In other words, if you're even slightly afraid of heights, you'll feel like you're going to topple over onto the court. Some may think this is a cool feeling, but many others will not appreciate it.

I will be going to one of the nine Garth Brooks shows in November, so I'll let the board know what its like. I drove by the Sprint Center last week, and I have to admit, that I'm pumped that the Valley could play the tourney there.

Comment

vbird's description sound's like the upper decks at Oklahoma State - I did not like sitting up there!
      Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
        Originally posted by KC Shox
        Driven by the place numerous times, it is wonderous looking.

http://photos.kcstar.com/?c=11
        I still think it looks like someone sliced a section out of a disco ball and set it on a foundation.
        and did a d****d fine job of it. :yes: :good: :lol: :lol:
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I'm sure it's a fantastic facility and I would love to watch an MVC tourney there.

But from a design standpoint, I think it's going to look dated in 10-15 years (unless disco makes a comeback). Remeber the campus at Oral Roberts (Can you say, Jetsons?).

I think Wichita's arena design will still look good in 20 years.

But it's just my opinion, which is worth nothing in this matter.

Comment

RE: Steep upper section.

You bet it is. I went to the Elton John concert - sat in the top of the upper section. The top of the seatbacks in the row in front of me was 6" above the floor. Nice if the guy in front of you is standing all the time, but more than a little vertigo-inducing. Friends sat in the 2nd row from the edge of the upper section and felt woozy when they stood up.
            It is a great arena, at least equal to the amenities of the Keil / Savvis center. Plus I could ride my bike to it.
            I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
              I think Wichita's arena design will still look good in 20 years.
              Will it be done by then? :whistle:

Comment

Awesome! I hope it happens. That'd be big for KC and the WSU faithful around here.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Who cares how it looks there wont be any parking anyways

/sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                    Who cares how it looks there wont be any parking anyways
                    Actually, I heard that parking went fairly smoothly for the first event, which is a shock because it was anticipated to be the biggest drawback.

Imagine that! Wichita. It will all work itself out (you might have to walk a few extra blocks, but isn't exercise good for you?)

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerInKC
                      RE: Steep upper section.

You bet it is. I went to the Elton John concert - sat in the top of the upper section. The top of the seatbacks in the row in front of me was 6" above the floor. Nice if the guy in front of you is standing all the time, but more than a little vertigo-inducing. Friends sat in the 2nd row from the edge of the upper section and felt woozy when they stood up.
                      It is a great arena, at least equal to the amenities of the Keil / Savvis center. Plus I could ride my bike to it.
                      So our choices are sit in the upper section and risk getting woozy or sick or sit in the lower section and get crushed by a woozy guy falling from the upper section.

:D

Comment

Thank you. The parking worry is the biggest bunch of nonsense. Walk a little. It won't kill you. Anybody ever been to a Chiefs game? That's nothing but a long walk, and it's nothing but a big parking lot. Can't wait for the arena. It is a great thing for Wichita.

Comment

I think the interest by the MVC is legit and I fully expect the tourney to be in KC within the next 2-4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO
                            Will the price of diesel affect the Saluki fans' ability to drive their tractors to KC? Will their tractors make more than a 1-1/2 hour drive? They've never had to find out until now...hopefully!
                            Actually, I've know of four or five places that sell reasonable diesel fuel along I-70. And, the air conditioning in my John Deere worked pretty dang well when I drove up to the nephew's college grad-e-ation at that school in the middle of the state where our old coach went. So, come hell or high water I'll be in KC. :yes:

But you guys are getting excited about nothing ... the tourney's staying in St. Louis.

Comment

Wager?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                                Wager?
                                I'll put up a bushel of the wife's home-grown 'maters. :D

Comment

Working...
                                X