Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita Sports HOF - 2009 class

Congrats to Jason Perez and Gene Wiley!

Also, Willie Jeffries for football and Greg Brummett for baseball.

Re: Kansas Sports HOF - 2009 class

Originally posted by RoyalShock
    http://wichita.bizjournals.com/wichita/stories/2009/05/04/daily32.html?surround=lfn

Congrats to Jason Perez and Gene Wiley!

Also, Willie Jeffries for football and Greg Brummett for baseball.
    Fantastic! I'm thrilled for all of them.

Comment

Gene Wiley, Goose Doughty, Roy Turner and Don Calhoun are also talented and unique additions with great local flavor.

Super class.

Comment

The article left off the fact that Doughty was also the basketball and tennis coach at Wichita Heights.

Comment

It's actually Wichita rather than Kansas Sports HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
            It's actually Wichita rather than Kansas Sports HOF.
            Whoops. Thanks for the correction. Fixed.

Comment

:good: :good: :good: :posterwsu: :posterwu: :goshocks: 8)
              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I like the selection of Gene Wiley, perhaps a somewhat overlooked Shocker great.

Dave Stallworth has publicly stated that Gene was a great player whose defensive prowess in the lane allowed the rest of his teammates to play very aggressively on the perimeter knowing that if they did get beat on occasion Gene was there to bail them out. Gene was also a more than adequate player offensively.

IIRC, Gene and Warren (Armstrong) Jabali share the all-time Shocker record for triple doubles at four each. Warren's were for points, rebounds and assists. All four of Gene's, I believe, were for points, rebounds and blocks.

:good:

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                  I like the selection of Gene Wiley, perhaps a somewhat overlooked Shocker great.

Dave Stallworth has publicly stated that Gene was a great player whose defensive prowess in the lane allowed the rest of his teammates to play very aggressively on the perimeter knowing that if they did get beat on occasion Gene was there to bail them out. Gene was also a more than adequate player offensively.

IIRC, Gene and Warren (Armstrong) Jabali share the all-time Shocker record for triple doubles at four each. Warren's were for points, rebounds and assists. All four of Gene's, I believe, were for points, rebounds and blocks.

Another thing about Gene Wiley. While nobody could stop the Stilt, Gene was considered one of the best defenders against Wilt Chamberlain in the NBA. He always got lots of minutes whenever he played a Chamberlain team due to his defensive and rebounding ability.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeShox
                    Originally posted by 1972Shocker

ircc, the year Wilt averaged 50, his lowest point total of the year was against Mr.Wiley. The number 11 sticks in my mind, but it was a long time ago.
                    Another thing about Gene Wiley. While nobody could stop the Stilt, Gene was considered one of the best defenders against Wilt Chamberlain in the NBA. He always got lots of minutes whenever he played a Chamberlain team due to his defensive and rebounding ability.
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                    X