Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule Changes: Men's Basketball & Baseball

Two items to note:
    1) Men's basketball draft entry deadline moved to May 8 from June 15 next year. The move was proposed by BCS schools to better allow them to control recruiting when players leave. IMO, this benefits the big boys.
    2) Men's baseball will begin one week earlier next year instead of cutting 4 games from the proposed plan. Teams will still be allowed to play 56 games with the additional week. IMO, this benefits southern teams.
    Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Re: Rule Changes: Men's Basketball & Baseball

Originally posted by Smooth007
    2) Men's baseball will begin one week earlier next year instead of cutting 4 games from the proposed plan. Teams will still be allowed to play 56 games with the additional week. IMO, this benefits southern teams.
    The linked article talks only about the basketball part. Where did you see the baseball change? IMO, starting earlier is a much better alternative than cutting games. Extending the season one week at the beginning is a GOOD thing.

--'85.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Here's an article about the baseball change.

Comment

Re: Rule Changes: Men's Basketball & Baseball

Originally posted by Shocker85
        Originally posted by Smooth007
        The linked article talks only about the basketball part. Where did you see the baseball change? IMO, starting earlier is a much better alternative than cutting games. Extending the season one week at the beginning is a GOOD thing.

--'85.
        It was there an hour ago in the last 2 paragraphs. Now it has been deleted and additional information was added about basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771
          Here's an article about the baseball change.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basebal...yhoo&type=lgns
          Thanks. I still think spacing out the schedule a little more offsets starting a tad earlier. I don't see how the players can keep up with school while playing 5 games per week (plus travel) most of the spring. The worst things about it are that part of the schedule will be largely ignored by the fan base because basketball will still be in progress, and it will force the northern teams to go south or continue the compressed scheduling.

It is too bad they can't push the schedule into the summer, but that changes the landscape of college baseball so much they can't grasp that idea. Playing college sports for a significant time outside the regular school year is just wierd.

I wonder if a split schedule would ever be considered? Play 20 games in October and November, then the rest of the schedule in March, April, and May. That's pretty wierd, too, I guess.

--'85.
          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

This just pisses me off. I really think that schools like us are just screwed. Baseball is a SUMMER sport and should start for everyone on March 1st. That would be fair to those of us up north, but who cares about that. Just as long as Texas, LSU and all the other sun belt schools are happy and making a little coin. While I'm on a rant. Why do we have these one and done players in college basketball? I'll tell you. So the BCS cartel can force these guys to play for them for at least one year instead of going pro. Any legal action would take more than a year, so many players just go play for a year and then ditch college. What a joke. If they don't want to go to college and can make a lot of money let them go. One year of college will not make a difference since they don't have to worry about academic eligibility after the first semester. This has nothing to do what is best for the student athlete and everything about making BCS schools and coaches richer at any cost. By the way, how is a one year player a student athlete???? :-x

Comment

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

Commented on in today's Wheat Wire as well on GoShockers. I didn't realize they had until 30 days AFTER the draft before. I think I am correct in saying the spring signing period ends sometime in the middle of May, or at least I thought I had heard that. If so, that gives coaches at least a week or so to get someone else in if need be now.

I am also guessing there is some importance to that date in relation to final exams and not missing anymore class traveling around working out for teams and such when now they have to make up their mind, school or the draft.

Probably strongly supported by the nation's coaches and administrators.

[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by shocky
                While I'm on a rant. Why do we have these one and done players in college basketball? I'll tell you. So the BCS cartel can force these guys to play for them for at least one year instead of going pro. Any legal action would take more than a year, so many players just go play for a year and then ditch college. What a joke. If they don't want to go to college and can make a lot of money let them go. One year of college will not make a difference since they don't have to worry about academic eligibility after the first semester. This has nothing to do what is best for the student athlete and everything about making BCS schools and coaches richer at any cost. By the way, how is a one year player a student athlete????
                When a player leaves after one year to go pro, doesn't that still go against the school's graduation rate, assuming he doesn't graduate within the allowed time.

Comment

The basketball rule is a good one. This will help college coaches who need to know if their players are returning or not, and will give NBA GMs more time to evaluate the players who stay in the draft. Probably overdue.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                    I wonder if a split schedule would ever be considered? Play 20 games in October and November, then the rest of the schedule in March, April, and May. That's pretty wierd, too, I guess.

--'85.
                    I really like that idea. I think it could work. With fall ball happening anyway, why not add some games that mean something?

Comment

Originally posted by Indy23
                      The basketball rule is a good one. This will help college coaches who need to know if their players are returning or not, and will give NBA GMs more time to evaluate the players who stay in the draft. Probably overdue.
                      It is a good change for the powerhouse schools because they can gobble up the best remaining recruits in the spring after their unforseen defections. It was one of the only rules that worked against teams like North Carolina and KU who annually have to play the 'who will declare game' while managing future recruits.

Comment

Working...
                      X