Football poll.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football poll.

I just wanted to alert anyone who might be interested that I recently created a poll on the Men's Sports board in regards to reviving football. The poll focuses on how scholarships and operation costs should be funded, which is different than the poll I ran last fall.

Sorry to breach the basketball discussion, but since the poll was too lengthy to include on the front page, I wanted to let those who don't frequent the Men's Sports board to know about it.

Thanks.

Geez...wrong forum NOOB!

j/k :D
    Jocks & Jills
    3236 N. Rock Rd
    Wichita, KS 67226
    316-260-9800
    http://www.jocks-jills.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jocksandjills

Comment

:lol:

I knew someone would do that!

Comment

I voted for football without raising student fees, etc. I'm not opposed to football (two touchdown passes, no INTs last night :good: :lol: ) but only if it can be funded without hurting WSU. I don't see any chance for this money to appear by magic so my vote is, in effect, for no football. If Cold finds $100,000,000, I'll buy season tickets (well, not if they cost $50,000,000 per year :lol: ).
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Do students at WSU pay an athletic fee currently? (just curious)

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
            Yes, part of the roundhouse renovation was that the students give X amount of money out of student fees and in return they got 1100 basketball tickets a game plus free into all other athletic events on campus (valley, nit, and ncaa tournament games are excluded). In 2004-05 the student fees given to the athletic department was just about 2.5 million. The departments total budget that year was 13.4 million and over the year they were in the black about 400k.

Comment

Originally posted by dregn
              http://www2.indystar.com/NCAA_financial_reports/revenue_stat/show
              Application error (Apache)

Change this error message for exceptions thrown outside of an action (like in Dispatcher setups or broken Ruby code) in public/500.html
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog

Student Fee - Regular Semester and Summer Session Per Credit Hour* $25.00

*The Student Fee is required of every student enrolled on the Wichita State University campus (City of Wichita, its contiguous industrial sites and the West Campus). Proceeds from the Student Fee are distributed to pay for Educational Opportunity Fund, student union, athletics, Heskett Center, student health services, forensics, student government association, student publications, and other student activities.

Comment

go here and find WSU in the list

Comment

Using the link dregn shared . . .

A good way to compare money's that come from the academic side to the athletic side is to combine Student Fees and Direct Institutional Support. I've broken it down by student, but the dollar figures are from 2004 and the student counts from, I think, 2006. But they should still be close.

WSU - $3.7 million ($250/student)
                    MSU - $4.5 million ($237/student, though they claim no revenue from "student fees")
                    UNI - $6.0 million ($461/student)
                    IlSU - $5.6 million ($270/student)
                    InSU - $5.3 million ($481/student)
                    SIU - $6.5 million ($302/student)

MSU is known for not paying it's coaches very well, so I see them as an "outlier". So, besides the Bears, it's pretty clear to me that the MVC schools with football are able to do so with additional student/school funding.

At our conference brethren schools, football costs between $1.6 and $2.2 million a year, of which scholarships account for around $800k-$950k.

And the telling statistic, IMO, is that WSU has one of the highest, if not the highest athletic budgets among the public MVC schools (private school numbers aren't public), yet we're still able to be in the black with the lowest amount of student/school support.

WSU can revive football, but it will have to be at the behest of the students, IMO, because they will be footing a good portion of the annual bill.

Comment

Royal: The SIU student fees for athletics will be increasing rapidly over the next few years (over the objections of the students).

Comment

So long as we don't have to take money away from baseball and basketball, i'm all for it. I don't see why we would have to really...
                        KU fans are the most arrogant while KSU fans are the most delusional. ~BostonWu
                        Criticizing this team is like criticizing one of Jerry's kids. ~DaShox

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                          Royal: The SIU student fees for athletics will be increasing rapidly over the next few years (over the objections of the students).

Correct. It's going to help pay for the $80 million Saluki Way project to build a new football stadium and renovate the SIU Arena. I think it will be a similar deal to what you all did with your building.

Comment

Originally posted by SalukiBand

Correct. It's going to help pay for the $80 million Saluki Way project to build a new football stadium and renovate the SIU Arena. I think it will be a similar deal to what you all did with your building.
                            My memory on this is sketchy, but doesn't Saluki Way also have academic projects included?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                              Originally posted by SalukiBand

My memory on this is sketchy, but doesn't Saluki Way also have academic projects included?
                              In a later phase to be funded later, yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X