Please Explain Physical Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Explain Physical Play

Seriously how does this work? WSU opponents are staying in the game from the line.

Free throws disrupted our rythm and got Indiana St into the game. We then had that debacle last night.we couldn't get a shot when we needed it but that was ridiculous.

Teams like SIU & Evanaville are physical. It is said you can't call every foul. It seems WSU is getting called plenty.

A few thouhts:
    Who did we tick off?
    The travel call on Kyles when he was bumped from behind on a rebound was a killer.
    Boyle made 5 fg attempts & 15 ft attempts.
    Boyle exceeded his season scoring avg from the line.
    He made 3 more ft's than our entire team.
    3 SIU players each shot twice as many ft's as any one of WSU's players.
    WSU made 6 more fg's
    Rebounding tied
    WSU had fewer turnovers.
    WSU outscored from the line by 15 and lose by 4
    WSU could have shot better from the line. And they could have made a shot at few key moments. But I speculate they shouldn't have been in that position in the 1st place.
    How can WSU play a more physical style and get away with it.
    Is this an MVC problem?
    Phi Alpha

Combination of all things. I suspect HCGM's demenior is probably costing us some fouls. Freshmen and smurf guards are going to get pushed and leaned on a lot. Pushing back creates fouls. The only physical player we have is Ramon. This will change some as our players mature and get into the weight room.

Comment

Most of our fouls are the reaching type which are easier to call than the continual leaning and pushing that we seem to get applied to us. A lot of this is inexperience by our guys and some of it is getting beaten by the offensive player which results in the reaching foul. I would hope this resolves itself next year with more maturity.

Comment

The only phylsical player we have is Ramone and he fouled out. A lot of good that does him. My sister is a Creighton grad and I had this argument with her a few years ago, during one of Turgeon's seasons. I apparently had some extra time on my hands. If I remember correctly, the Shox had more fouls called against them and more FT's shot against them than any other team. Kind of lends itself against being Marshall's "fault". So, to me, it's back to who ticked who off a long time ago?

Comment

You have to be tougher than we are on the road.

They made Free Throws and we didn't.

There are bad calls in every game, both ways, and last night was no different ALTHOUGH the officials lost control when they weren't consistent.

Consistency is all you ask for and there was little of that last night. It's why you saw BOTH team get frustrated and flail there arms about in exhasperation.

We certainly got the short end of the stick but that's to be expected on the road. Someday soon we will be good enough to overcome that.

Comment

The biggest problem i had with the officials last night were in the start of the 2nd half all of a sudden they called every single touch foul, i think they called 5 fouls on us in the first 2 minutes. I just think this league better consistency in their officials. If you gonna call it a certain way in the first half, then there is no reason you should call it completely opposite in the 2nd half.
            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I think we got homered last night. No doubt. But we still could have made up the difference in our missed free throws and our several one and dones down the court.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I don't think it is a road issue when I saw the same thing @ home against In St. I tend to wonder about a Valley problem.
                But I wonder whose fault that is. I would think that WSU brings attributes that the MVC would covet. Facilities, dedication & attendance are not always apparent when I read box scores or watch road games on TV.
                Why are we the only team creating such a disparity of freshmen errors? 3 don't think that we are. It is also hard to tell the Valley to get lost when we aren't dominating.
                Phi Alpha

Comment

Originally posted by Speed
                  I don't think it is a road issue when I saw the same thing @ home against In St. I tend to wonder about a Valley problem.
                  But I wonder whose fault that is. I would think that WSU brings attributes that the MVC would covet. Facilities, dedication & attendance are not always apparent when I read box scores or watch road games on TV.
                  Why are we the only team creating such a disparity of freshmen errors? 3 don't think that we are. It is also hard to tell the Valley to get lost when we aren't dominating.
                  ive always thought we should get out of the movallley---how we do that i dont know! i believe it holds our program back! if you notice when we play other teams outside of the conference, including BIG conferences - - referees are hardly ever the problem. seems like we can play shocker basketball!

Comment

I agree with other posts that all of the sudden the calls changed in the second half. If you remember the SIU fans weren't too pleased either... but with the obvious disparity in the number of free throws they were showing their lack of intelligence. This sudden change has happened a few times this season and really is irritating. Elgin has pledged in the past to try to bring the best officials possible to the Valley. Clearly bringing an official that has worked less than 5 games in 2 years isn't bringing the best they can find.

Comment

SIU would have been called for more fouls if the Shox would have been aggressive. We weren't. We didn't penetrate. We didn't pass the ball inside. SIU did both of those consistently. That is why there was such a foul descrepancy.

Yes, there were a few weak fouls called against us, but some of that comes from the Shox being lazy on D and SIU continuing to be aggressive.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

SIU would have been called for more fouls if the Shox would have been aggressive. We weren't. We didn't penetrate. We didn't pass the ball inside. SIU did both of those consistently. That is why there was such a foul descrepancy.

Yes, there were a few weak fouls called against us, but some of that comes from the Shox being lazy on D and SIU continuing to be aggressive.
                        You took the words out of my mouth. We quit penetrating and feeding the post which allowed them to stay out of foul trouble, plain and simple.

This was a painful year to watch the Shockers as far as the refs are concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                          You have to be tougher than we are on the road.

They made Free Throws and we didn't.

There are bad calls in every game, both ways, and last night was no different ALTHOUGH the officials lost control when they weren't consistent.

Consistency is all you ask for and there was little of that last night. It's why you saw BOTH team get frustrated and flail there arms about in exhasperation.

We certainly got the short end of the stick but that's to be expected on the road. Someday soon we will be good enough to overcome that.
                          I agree, 1st a team must learn to play together and learn the system. When that happens they start dominating at home. Then with maturity they begin winning on the road. We saw the same thing with the Sweet 16 squad. 8) :posterwu:
                          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

i agree alot with the fact that alot of our fouls are reaching fouls. other teams move there feet. we still dont do this alot. however, i do think we have gotten the short end of some calls the last few games. we blow out in. state without all the calls and we prolly beat siu.

and any siu fan that boos a touchy foul needs to get a clue!

Comment

Working...
                            X