SENIOR NIGHT---MEMORIES OF RAMON AND MANTAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SENIOR NIGHT---MEMORIES OF RAMON AND MANTAS

Now here are 2 young men that are class acts. So much so that we are very proud to have both of them as Shockers.

Ramon---very charismatic--personality plus---warrior---cleans the glass better than windex. A crowd favorite and you have to love that smile of his. When we were losing, Ramon took responsibility. You have to love a fierce competitor like Ramon.

Mantas----A great example of perseverance. Most players would have hung up their sneakers long ago with the injuries that he has suffered through. Mantas--you rock and am glad you are and forever will be a Shocker.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

I just hope I don't have to miss too much of the game. I'm going to miss the pregame stuff. These two players have been a real asset to WSU. I feel for Mantas and his knees. I hope he's able to get out there and do a little something tuesday.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

There was a great example of who Ramon is from last night. He was going up for a monster jam and got fouled hard, he got up immediately and had a big smile on his face. The fans gave him a big ovation. Then he knocked down both critical free throws to help get us the victory.

Comment

I will remember the Mantas I saw at TRCC. The one that I hoped would make an appearance at WSU. We saw glimpses at times leading up to and including the game he got hurt.

He would have been an impact player in this league.

I'll always remember Ramon's smile. The passion in which he played, and expected his teammates to play. No passing the buck. No blaming anyone but himself for not getting a job done.

GO SHOX!!

Comment

I'll remember Ramon's 400+ rebounds. I love the way that guy goes after rebounds. I'll also remember his strange inability to consistently make free throws despite having a great looking shot.

As for Mantas, well he has an unforgettable name. That big body and shooting touch could have helped both last year and this if only his knees had allowed.

Comment

I'll never forget Ramon telling his story of how he got here at the Shocker luncheon.

He should write a book on how to succeed when you have nothing.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Doc---I never heard that story. Would you mind sharing what you remember as to the highlights of what he said? Thanks.

Comment

he actually has it on his myspace
                ShockerNut 2305

Comment

What I remember about MG was him coming in last year and giving us a glimmer of home before he went down.

I'm just glad that he has been able to contribute at spots this year considering his injuries.

Ramon? My goodness, I could fill pages on him.

Comment

What Ramon said at the luncheon

Forever Shocker - I posted this on Jan 20th after the luncheon. Someone later corrected me to say it was Hawkins not Hannah which should be obvious. What Ramon said is included here:

Yes, there was a full crowd there in the multi-purpose room of Koch. Ramon spoke first & told about his life which was pretty hard through high school. There was a playground coach that noticed he was a good basketball player, but his high school grades were bad. Ramon started studying, quit hanging out with the wrong crowd (by taking on 2 jobs) and eventually passed his GED. He then went to Paris CC in Tex & you know the rest of the story. GM later pointed out that Ramon is on track to graduate on time & he got a big hand for that. Ramon loves Wichita & wants to stay here after he graduates, too! I later congratulated him after GM's talk for his 360 deg spin move in the 2nd half.

GM narrated the WSU, Creighton game film while Matt Brauer manipulated it from a laptop so he could stop play, go backward or whatever. That allowed GM to use a red laser pointer to show various things that went on in the game. He showed how AE kept his eye on his man once while also watching the ball. Once a Creighton Guard beat his man and headed for the basket, Aaron took off and blocked the shot. GM showed several instances in the game where there were 3 Shockers on the floor diving for loose balls. He showed one play where Hannah drove the baseline and pulled up for an assist as contrasted with his player earlier in the year when GM said "Hannah led the nation in charges". So, he's learning.

Among other plays he highlighted was one right near the end of the 1st half. JT made an outlet pass from around the ft line, and then sprinted down the floor. When our guy missed a layup, JT was there for the putback. In the 2nd half, Clemente drove for a shot & was pushed from behind, so he fell over another Creighton player. The ref called the foul on the other Creighton player for pushing Clemente from behind, so it was sort of a 2 for 1 deal! A lot of this happened so fast that GM had Matt B stop play so he could point it out with the laser pointer.

GM made note of how great the crowd support was for a 0-6 WSU team in the MVC. He also said the TV announcers for the game marveled at that throughout the game as he found out later. GM said he hadn't thought about the value of the crowd support before the game as he had too many other things to think about, but that he didn't want to take it for granted. Perhaps early in his talk, he mentioned that the game 3 days earlier with Mo State had been a "debacle", so obviously they really turned things around for the game with Creighton. GM didn't say that, I did here. IMHO, this was the sort of game I bought season tickets for: Good basketball & the atmosphere in Koch. It was the best I've seen in the past 2 seasons.

Comment

A typical great Ramon play happened yesterday in the second half. He went up for a rebound surrounded by green men and seemed to get swallowed up by them. And, somehow, he was the one who came up with the ball.

His fighting spirit will be sorely missed.

:poster_ramon:

Comment

Thanks Xazshox for sharing this. Indeed Ramon has been a good fit here at 21st and Hillside and I hope he does stay around when he is done with basketball. Ramon has a nose for the ball on rebounds and gets some key ones for us. An opposing player grabbing a rebound RC has could result in them getting their arm jerked out of socket.

Reply # 11

Comment

We're going to miss more than Ramon's production next year.

I hope Hatch has it in him to be the team leader next year. He looks like the most likely candidate for the job.

Griskenas is one of the all-time hard-luck stories. Watch him in warmups before the game. He's still got some explosiveness around the hoop and he can still hit from range. There are some things required in D1 ball that he is no longer physically able to do. That's got to be tough for a guy who pretty much based his future on moving to a foreign country and playing basketball to get an education. I really hope the education works out for him.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                            When Ryan Martin was a senior, a lot of us knew that he brought more to the table then the stats showed -- a warrior mentality.

Ramon filled in those shoes nicely, and probably eclipsed Martin in some regards.

Looking at the growth of this team and how Hatch and Hawkins and others have responded, I bet that torch gets passed on. I just hope it is to Stutz because that would just be brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
                              Originally posted by Aargh
                              When Ryan Martin was a senior, a lot of us knew that he brought more to the table then the stats showed -- a warrior mentality.

Ramon filled in those shoes nicely, and probably eclipsed Martin in some regards.

Looking at the growth of this team and how Hatch and Hawkins and others have responded, I bet that torch gets passed on. I just hope it is to Stutz because that would just be brutal.
                              I hate to burst your bubble but Stutz is no Clemente. Ramon grew up on the streets of New York while Stutz grew up in Sunday School. If anybody is carrying the "toughman" torch next year it will be Durley or Blair. Stutz just doesn't have the attitude.

T

...8)

Comment

Working...
                              X