Expectations and what happened to them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expectations and what happened to them

I was admittedly very optimistic in my pre-season game-by-game picks in the Valley and I ended up with 19 wins on the season. That's likely to miss by double digits. Here's what I was expecting pre-season that I based that on.

Center - My expectations were about what we're getting. Maybe a little more production from Durley, but no major variation from what I expected.

PF - I was expecting Clemente would total about 20 points and boards per game. I was expecting productive minutes from Ellis spelling Clemente and a total of 15 or 16 points and 10 or 12 boards from the PF position. Huge miss at PF.

Griskenas - I wasn't counting on anything, just hoping he had a healthy year.

SF - I was expecting around 12 points from Hawk - along with decent assist and steal numbers for the position. I had no clue who'd be the backup - probably Ellis, but Hawk would need mid-30's minutes. If someone had told me Hatch would be starting at SF half-way into the season, my total wins prediction would have been much closer to what we're seeing in the W/L column. Huge miss at SF.

Guards
    Murry - above what I expected.
    Hannah and Chamberlain - somehow I had the idea those guys were quick and would be at least adequate defenders. Big miss.
    Hatch - I thought he would be brought in to prevent anyone from zoning the Shox. Hatch is better all-around than I expected, but he's not the zone-buster I expected.

Having only one player at a time on the floor who can make a team pay for playing zone isn't enough. That might be clogging up a bit of Hawk's and Clemente's production. It's causing Durley to have 4 hands swiping at the ball instead of 2.

In league play, Clemente is averaging 2.83 ppg. Hawk is averaging 5.0 ppg.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

How many summers have I watched our beloved Shocks thinking they would be good---really good. Of course they are playing against each other along with other former Shockers, etc. Then they get out in the real world and things aren't always so rosey except my rose colored glasses. Some things just never change it seems. However, I would have sworn one summer I had the pleasure of meeting the famous Ricky Del Rio whom was a real gentleman and WstateU who seemed to be relishing the scrimmage as much as an Official Shocker game. Based on comments they posted the next day here, that just might have been them. Of course the word ShockerNet was never mentioned in our group of folk waiting for the Season to hurry and get started. Just had to wonder if Coldblooded was lurking around the Arena like the butchers dawg at supper time as well. Yikes!!!!!!!

This particular team along with the Mo Valley has been quite hard to figure this year. Most Publications picked us 8th or 9th based on our inexperience. Even last Season, we had Seniors such as PJ, Matty B. (some of the time), and Phil. T. along with our walk on who had some solid minutes. Even so, I predicted 17 wins and a 4th place Valley finish regardless of what the experts prognosticated this Season.

My thoughts were based on the a belief that the players being here all summer would allow us to overcome being one of the most inexperienced Shocker teams ever in terms of Div. 1 exposure. We do indeed have talent individually. However, the growing pains are taking longer than expected and we have obviously not come together on a consistent basis. Not one person here or Publication that I read picked us at 10th which is where we stand at this moment. Am I forgetting anyone?

This was not the 1st or last time my expectations soared above what was was real world in terms of Shocker hoops. Imagine that?. Several games ago, was it Sundevil Shox that warned us that we were looking down the barrel of a potential 0-8 Valley start? What? Are you kidding? At the time, THAT heedfulness did not worry FSF. However, now we see more pieces of the puzzle for instant success dissapating before our very eyes. Others on here were seeing problems before the Valley race started and picked us as low as 8th. Our Tourney gave me false hope because very good teams could not annihilate us even though many thought they would. Players like Ramon Clemente worked extremely hard to improve their game last summer.

In conclusion, it seems if I recall right, that Coach Marshall had hoped for around a 500 finish this Season as being a nice step forward. He is an impressive, hard-working Coach and he deserves time to get this Program turned aroiund. Have you noticed how he flicks his left wrist (watch hand?) during games? This Season has to be eating him alive and in my heart I believe he will take us where we long to again go. He can flat recruit and he will get the job done in time in my opinion. It was so easy to get irratated at those on SN who seemed like doomsday prophets early on. It is also hard for some to understand how others like myself could have even dreamed we would finish 4th or above. However, we fans are still here pecking away at our keyboards, attending games by the masses, cussing and disscussing what we need to do now even though we are 0-6 in the Valley. Look around at other Programs. Many of them can't fill the stands when they are winning much less do the above when times are tough. In the scheme of things, the sky is not falling, the Shocker fans will never quit caring or attending games, what we are witnessing has not been an optical illusion, and WSU basketball is the greatest ever baby!!!!!!! See you all at the Creighton game and lets get this party started knowing that better Shocker days are forthcoming!!!!!!! It will be loud---very loud at the Chuck and let's hope these young Shocks can have the best game of our Season and beat them Jays. The sooner we pull it together------the better!!!!!!!
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

I was anticipating about a 0.500 season. My thoughts of the performance by position are similar to Aargh's except I was probably also expecting more out of Garrett.

Question is are the players underperforming are was the hype by Coaches and Fans overblown. I think it some of both. Fans are for the most part always going to have lofty expectations. Has the Coaching staff underperformed also. I think the answer at this point in the season is yes.

Can it be turned around. Probably not 180 degrees but we can definitely play better and win a few games.

With our deficiencies, we must play better team and fundamental basketball to overcome some of those deficiencies. I think playing better team basketball is primarily a mindset and can be done. If you are not fundamentally sound, however, that probably won't change without a lot of work, although some of that is also just effort.

Comment

On a humorous note, my son just said "You know, after 6 games in the conference seasons, the 2008-9 volleyball and MBB teams both had perfect records." :lol: :cry:

You know I'm a big volleyball fan (and a very longtime Shocker baseball fan) so take this with whatever grain of salt you wish. However I hope Shocker fans appreciate just how great are the jobs Chris Lamb and Gene Stephenson have done with Shocker volleyball and Shocker baseball; Shocker basketball (MBB & WBB) show just how hard it is for a school like WSU to gain national respect in a sport. I hope many of you attend both of these sports in the near future; spring volleyball and baseball begin soon.

:goshocks: :goshocks:
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I told my son that he jinxed the Shocks with his comment and messed up the Shocks "perfect" (MVC) season. He said he would try to keep the jinx going. :D
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Working...
          X