Transition vs Possession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transition vs Possession

I have seen several comments about how slow we are .. but I don't think that's the case. When I look at our year-to-date win loss record something shoots out at me:

In every game we have won we have scored 65 points, or more, except one. And we have only lost a single game where we scored more than 65 (the very close loss to TexTech).

It seems to me we are favored in transition-style games where we can push the pace -- which explains why we did well against higher ranked teams that like to push the pace, yet are falling flat in MoValley matches which are notorious for playing possession-style.

Maybe our guys will start trying to turn the tempo up?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

When a team is losing, all kinds of issues jump out. A case in point would be the Bradley game. We jump out to a nice lead and things were looking good. Soon thereafter, we fell behind and Bradley slowed the game down to their pace on most possessions and controlled the tempo in my opinion.

In the Northern Iowa and S. Ill. losses, we faced 2 teams that were shooting lights out. In some possessions, it seemed like our defense was faltering and in other cases, these 2 teams were having banner shooting games offensively no matter how well they were guarded.

In our Tourney, that was a Shocker team that showed some progress and gave us hope for a decent finish in the Valley. Where has THAT team gone? This may be one of the most unseasoned Shocker teams ever in terms of Division 1 court experience? If we were chopped liver, Michigan State and Georgetown would have massacred us. Yes, the talent is evident and there is no way I will give up on these young Shocks.

When will the psyche click and these Shocks learn how to win? We need some consistency on both offense and defense. We need some players---anybody-- to demand leadership game in and game out. Will this happen on this road swing---this Season---in St. Louie? FSF reckons it could--it should---it must---it will!!!!!!! But when? Stay tuned!!!!!!!
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
      When a team is losing, all kinds of issues jump out. A case in point would be the Bradley game. We jump out to a nice lead and things were looking good. Soon thereafter, we fell behind and Bradley slowed the game down to their pace on most possessions and controlled the tempo in my opinion.
      Sure, you should look at the micro-level issues and correct those, no doubt about it. But sometimes we stand so close to the trees that we can't see the forest. We should also look at the macro-level issues. It appears as though if we can push the pace on teams, we seem to have a better outcome. Maybe it's because our team is not yet experienced enough to handle high-pressure shots which result from possession-style defense? Maybe while we are less experienced, we are more athletic than many of the teams, and therefore it's easier for us to steal and gun for the hole? I'm not sure why, but if you look at the win/loss record it sure seems like the wins we have came from quicker paced matches.

I will say that at the beginning of the season it was apparent to me that we are much more athletic than we have been in a long time, when you look at the calibre of athletes across the board -- I think this is part of what had everyone so excited at the beginning of the season? I know it was the primary reason for myself.

Comment

The Drake game was really fun to watch .. Hannah pushed the pace pretty hard and it was effective. We didn't get a lot of transition buckets (unlucky Kyles .. that dunk was gonna be sooo pretty), but at least we had a much better pace and it kept their defense just off enough that we got some decent 3-pointers off.

I hope we see a lot more of this tempo in the future!

Comment

Working...
        X