Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgin Islands Tourney (? for Shox Fans)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Islands Tourney (? for Shox Fans)

Hey Shox fans. I recently saw where UNI is going to the basketball tourney in the Virgin Islands next year. I was looking for some who went on the trip to help me with some answers.

Was it a good trip/event?
    How was the pricing?
    Any hotel recommendations?
    When/how early should I start to book flights/hotels?

Thanks in advance!

The Paradise Jam is a great tournament. I would definately recommend making the trip if you can. There are several options for places to stay on the island depending on how much you are wanting to spend. Last year I rented a condo at Point Pleasant Resort and it was pretty nice. The other time I went to St. Thomas I stayed at the Wyndham Sugar Bay resort. It was nice, but I spent twice as much on that trip than I did when I rented the condo. The best piece of advice that I can give you is to make sure you rent a car because the cabs are expensive!! If you keep your eyes open you can find some good package deals on Orbitz.com. If I remember right, the deal I found last year for my wife and I was something like $1,700 for flight, lodging and rental car. Depending on how much you do and spend while you are there the trip can easily be done for $3,000 or less for two people.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

A couple more questions. When did you book your flight and hotel? Was the arena close to any hotels? Was that $1700 for flight, lodging, and car for both you and your wife (or was is $1700 x 2)? Thanks so much for the help!

Comment

Last year I actually didn't book until about 5 weeks before the tournament. The arena is about two miles from the airport and I would guess that the closest hotels are about the same distance away or maybe a little more. Both times that I have went I have stayed in the Northeast part of the island, close to the Red Hook area. In normal traffic it takes 20-30 minutes to get to the arena from where I stayed. When it is busy you are looking at more like 45 minutes, that's why I highly suggest a rental car. The deal I found was for both my wife and I. It was two flights, rental car for six days, a 1-bedroom condo with full kitchen and sleeper couch in the living room (so you could actually have 4 in your room if you wished) at Point Pleasant Resort for like $1,700.

Comment

Thanks so much for the info. I'm hopefully going to go on this trip, and am looking at hotels/condos, etc...

If you have any further info, please feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Comment

I've been for the tourney and also for personal leisure and agree you want to stay around the Red Hook area. It's a pretty good haul to the arena but you need to venture out some if you're going to spend the time and money to make the trip. Bring your passport and take a day trip to Jost Van Dyke and Virgin Gorda. Go to St Johns and rent a Jeep and to see the island. Have fun.

Comment

We have gone to the Paradise Jam the last 2 times the Shox played. Both times were amazing. We have never stayed in the team hotel - prefering to find a condo on our own. Last year we stayed at the Secret Harbor - where we had a 1 bedroom beachfront condo with a full kitchen. Which saves you a ton on food. There is a great market in Red hook. We have always rented a car and it only takes about 20 min. or so to get to the University from the far end of the island. I would highly recommend the trip. Live on island time - just make sure you get to your games - and you'll have the trip of your life. Beaches and basketball 2 of my favorite things. :)

Comment

For the last two who responded, may I ask how early you booked your flight/room and who did you go through?

With the condos, I take it that there are good markets (food-wise) to pick things up and cook on-site?

Thanks guys! I'm a newbie when it comes to travel plans, so I could use all the help I can get! :)

Comment

I've always booked through expedia and stayed in hotels rather than condos. 6-12 weeks in advance is usually what I do.

Comment

We almost always use Expedia and do the full package trip - airline, condo, rental car. I think last year I booked in May or June for the November trip? We love having our own car down there - it is a lot cheaper than taking cabs!!!! You just have to get used to driving on the left side of the road - which is not a big deal as long as you lay off the rum. :yes:

Comment

Working...
                    X