Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike Kennedy broadcasting games coming to an end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Kennedy broadcasting games coming to an end?

Here's the article. It's near the bottom of the page.

I hope they plan on keeping Mike Kennedy on the air. I can't imagine listening to a WSU game without having Kennedy doing the play by play.
    Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
    Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

I would say it is highly unlikely that Kennedy would be out due to the outsourcing of the games. These outside companies are not going to try to change the entire face of the school they represent. I believe they are more interested in marketing the games for the schools. They will be paying WSU x amount of dollars for the rights to represent WSU. They will be trying to maximize the marketing dollars they receive for representing WSU. There is a reason why these kind of companies represent so many schools. They have figured out a way to maximize profits for themselves and the schools.

Comment

If this happens I hope they open up bidding and get rid of BGM. I haven't been impressed...

Kennedy isn't going anywhere until he decides to step aside.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Yea, it may go to a different company (which might not be a bad thing considering what happened with Elliot last spring, the troubles BGM has in production a lot of times) but Kennedy will be there for the long haul.

Comment

I am pretty sure WSU/AD Sexton will insist on a "Kennedy" clause in a contract with a marketing company.

Comment

K-State recently went through a fiasco when they sold the broadcasting rights to their athletic events. If my memory is right, they ignored that they had signed a contract with WIBW decades earlier. The announcer that they wanted stayed with WIBW.

No one can replace MK.

Comment

BGM buys the radio time, which means they sell their own advertising.

It's my guess that Kennedy and the people who work with him sell the advertising and that's the source of their income. Kennedy has a pretty good deal with all the repeat advertisers he's established. The broadcasts seem to be sold out and they've "invented" some ways to sell in-game ads that don't require breaks in the action.

It looks to me like WSU is exploring the value of their broadcast rights. Perhaps BGM isn't sending enough WSU's way. If WSU gets more money, there aren't many places it can come from unless ad rates are too low.

Kennedy might get to experience the advantages of a lower tax bracket.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I believe this is worthy of further discussion. I too was troubled reading that article this morning.

Personally, I like our people in charge of our marketing...at least I feel like someone I know is accountable and someone that "bleeds" WSU is accountable.

What dollar figure is worth "handing the reigns off" to someone else....

Comment

This thread name is very, very misleading, to say the least..

MK is going nowhere until he decides to go.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                    I believe this is worthy of further discussion. I too was troubled reading that article this morning.

Personally, I like our people in charge of our marketing...at least I feel like someone I know is accountable and someone that "bleeds" WSU is accountable.

What dollar figure is worth "handing the reigns off" to someone else....
                    A WSU bleeder IS in charge. He/she may choose to outsource or not, but it is his/her that bleeds yellow & black (from the alma mater) that makes the decision. That is who is in charge.
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                      This thread name is very, very misleading, to say the least..

MK is going nowhere until he decides to go.
                      Sorry about the thread title, I wanted to put more info, but thats all that would fit. I failed to word the discussion correctly.

As for Kennedy, I hope he is the voice of the shockers for a long time.
                      Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                      Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

If this could help WSU build a true statewide network, then it is worth pursuing.

I realized WSU is primarily a regional attraction, but the region is big.

And there is some statewide interest.

There are a lot of radio dials across Kansas and I think that advertisers would have an interest in WSU having more than 1 or 2 radio stations.

Comment

Yeah, K-State did this a few years ago and when from a local partner (WIBW) to Learfield and it has been a joke. I believe they're actually in less markets now than before.

Comment

Don't forget, this is a business...

Sometimes you can get a better deal from your existing, sole-source provider by opening the contract up for bidding. With the state cutting budgets across the board I'm sure WSU and the other state colleges are looking for new revenue. Like others have stated I doubt who ever does the work would ignore the value Mike Kennedy has with the fan base.

Comment

Working...
                            X