Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFFENSE

What offense are we running?
    Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, and Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.

We're running an offense?
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

offense

Nobody mentioned in this thread or the ingame thread this fact: this is a very young team and they just finished finals week. The frosh all played one of their worst games of the year if not the worst game. It's to be expected. They are probably tired & a bit stressed out. They don't have any school now for 3-4 weeks so will probably get more relaxed and play better from now on!

Comment

Re: offense

Originally posted by xazshox
        Nobody mentioned in this thread or the ingame thread this fact: this is a very young team and they just finished finals week. The frosh all played one of their worst games of the year if not the worst game. It's to be expected. They are probably tired & a bit stressed out. They don't have any school now for 3-4 weeks so will probably get more relaxed and play better from now on!
        10 games in, this team has not shown one ounce of having a consistent flowing offense. That's what we are talking about. Tonight was no different than the previous 9 games, that's what we are talking about. No improvement is being made whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
          10 games in, this team has not shown one ounce of having a consistent flowing offense. That's what we are talking about. Tonight was no different than the previous 9 games, that's what we are talking about. No improvement is being made whatsoever.
          Clemente was 6 of 6 from the field and had 5 assists. Hawkins had 15 and he was a non-factor at the beginning of the year.

That's progress from those 2 guys. The Fr were down tonight.

Stutz has started playing with more authority and working for position. Unfortunately he was fouling while doing that. That's progress. He's never been this aggressive. Now he needs to learn how to do it and not get called for fouls.

There was progress shown in a number of areas. Some other areas were way down. What we need is consistent improvement without let down from other positions. That's rare with a lot of first-year players.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
            I'm
            Not
            Worried!
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Some (many) of you simply don't know that much about the game of basketball.

If you did you WOULD see that we are getting in our sets more quickly, running the initial plays more efficiently and without much of the hesitation we saw earlier in the year (still the execution is poor but it is better).

It is the motion offense after the initial play breaks that they are struggling with....it is not an easy thing to learn. They'll continue to get better. You aren't going to get me to say that everything is perfect....far far from it. But to say there isn't improvement is just simply wrong.

Btw, watch the film...we missed a TON of wide open looks today. Perhaps at the end of the year I'll admit I was wrong all this time but I still believe we are a better shooting team than we have shown so far...a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                That's the understatement of the year... quite possibly ShockerNet history.

:good: :good:
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

The area of the offense I'd like to see improve is when the Shox either are forced to or want to put up a late shot.

Right now it looks like SIU a couple of years ago when Tatum dribbled until the shot clock was at 3 seconds and then took a shot.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu

If you did you WOULD see that we are getting in our sets more quickly, running the initial plays more efficiently and without much of the hesitation we saw earlier in the year (still the execution is poor but it is better).

It is the motion offense after the initial play breaks that they are struggling with....it is not an easy thing to learn. They'll continue to get better. You aren't going to get me to say that everything is perfect....far far from it. But to say there isn't improvement is just simply wrong.

Btw, watch the film...we missed a TON of wide open looks today. Perhaps at the end of the year I'll admit I was wrong all this time but I still believe we are a better shooting team than we have shown so far...a lot better.
                    Execution or not, our offense is still atrocious.

We can get a wide open shot almost anytime we want down the floor. Usually, it's a chuck-up with 3 seconds into the shot clock. That's not an offense. That's not running an offense. It's not just about getting open looks, it's about getting open looks in rhythm - i.e. PASSING the ball. Every time we PASSED the ball we pretty much scored. Hannah, Clemente all showed what happens when we do simple passes.

I've seen little, if any, improvement. And it's getting very, veryyy close to Valley time.

8th still looks spot on at this point.

Some of you predicting 3rd-6th finishes, I'd argue, don't know basketball..
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Agree with the Dr. :yes:

Comment

ShockerFever---Here was your own predictions on Dec 4th.

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:29 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        1. Illinois State
                        2. Creighton
                        3. Southern Illinois
                        4. Drake
                        5. Evansville
                        6. Wichita State
                        7. Bradley
                        8. Missouri State
                        9. Northern Iowa
                        10. Indiana State

Expect a lot more fluctuating by the end of the month.

WSU is fortunate the Valley is really unimpressive so far. "ShockerFever"

Did you notice where you placed our Shocks? 6th?

Therefore, what about your quote above?

Some of you predicting 3rd-6th finishes, I'd argue, don't know basketball.."ShockerFever"

Please don't be so hard on yourself!!!!!!!
                        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Do you still not understand the difference between where I think we will finish at the END and a weekly rankings system?

Your alter egos of Double Dribble and Tyrone Shoelace are starting to come a callin' again.

Stupid..
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

anyone seen any christmas spirit?
                            1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

my complaint is that there where a number of times where JT/GS gained great position down low and the ball handler dribbled or passed away. Our offense runs around 30 + feet from the basket. Yes, there were some nice cuts, so yes some highlights. I am no coach but did stay at the HIEXPRESSS.....
                              Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, and Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.

Comment

Working...
                              X