Toughest Places To Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toughest Places To Play

I can't imagine that we didn't make this list. Maybe there just going by home win percentage or something. Some mid-majors that made it; Butler, Dayton, Gonzaga, Penn (?), and St. Joe's.

The Palestra is awesome. It's deserving.

Koch is better than a lot of those venues. If you're voting and have a few extra votes at the end, put Iowa State and Okie State on your lists. Two great underrated midwestern venues.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

That list is basically a who's who of BCS conferences. If reality were added to the poll Wichita State would be top 5.. easily.

T

...8)

Comment

No Southern Illinois either, I would at least expect them to be on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxfan11
          ?

T

...8)

Comment

Oh I get it now.. "toughest place to play"..

With fairly good odds of the roof caving in during play at Carbondump Arena, it could certainly fit the description of one of the "toughest places to play".

T

...8)

Comment

I don't know if you guys missed the news flash, but we suck... UMKC just came in and kicked our butts at home. Combined with our losses at home the last 2 seasons, it's not hard to come in to CKA and leave with a win. We might be one of the loudest at times, but that hasn't translated to wins lately. Maybe in another couple of years we'll pop up on these types of lists again.

Comment

Maybe during the last few years, but not now. Not when they're 2-5 against D-1 competition and losing to 1-6 Charlotte teams at home..
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

That's true, regardless of how daunting it is for opposing teams to come into Koch arena, it doesn't make much sense calling it "tough" when they walk away waxing our asses.

You have to have some competence as a team to make the venue equate to many losses for visitors.

Put a team like North Carolina or Memphis into our building and I predict we wouldn't have a home loss in 30 years. The NCAA would also have to institute mandatory ear plug usage by all players, coaches, and NCAA representatives. It would simply be a case of liability.

Koch Arena deserves a team like its sister arena, Cameron Indoor...

*sigh*

T

...8)

Comment

In addition to the points about losing to teams like UMKC. quality teams actually have to PLAY at Koch in order for it to be a tough place to play.

BCS teams decided decades ago that WSU was not a place to come to, so what ever reputation the Koch once had, the legend as historical as "Once Small Step for Man"
                    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock
                      In addition to the points about losing to teams like UMKC. quality teams actually have to PLAY at Koch in order for it to be a tough place to play.

BCS teams decided decades ago that WSU was not a place to come to, so what ever reputation the Koch once had, the legend as historical as "Once Small Step for Man"
                      Hopefully our team next year is competent enough to provide some reason for fans to do their thing when T-Tech comes to town. I'm expecting the game to fill my quote box up for a few years.

"It was louder than Allen.." etc. etc.

T

...8)

Comment

Back in the day, 21st and Hillside was indeed one of the most toughest and feared Arena's to play in the Country. We also have a winning record versus the Big 10 in our Shocker History. Even in the days of Mike Cohen, we had some nice home wins versus Oklahoma State and Alabama. Robert George had a great game versus Oklahoma State who had some very good guards. By next Season, I think we will really again 'shore up' our back yard and lose very few games at the Chuck.

Reply #11
                        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                          Maybe during the last few years, but not now. Not when they're 2-5 against D-1 competition and losing to 1-6 Charlotte teams at home..
                          Yeah that's true definitely not this year, but didn't they have a huge winning streak on their home court the past years?

Our place is definitely louder but they defended their home court TONS better, which is why I expected to at least see them on the list.

Comment

Re: Toughest Places To Play

Originally posted by shocks02
                            http://www.easports.com/ncaabasketball/toughvenues.action

I can't imagine that we didn't make this list. Maybe there just going by home win percentage or something. Some mid-majors that made it; Butler, Dayton, Gonzaga, Penn (?), and St. Joe's.
                            Frankly, WSU hasn't been that tough of place to play per se. In fact the atmosphere has seemed to elevate opposing teams performance at times.

Hopefully when Marshall has it going on all cylinders the place will be a rock and the WSU will feed off the energy.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                              Originally posted by jocoshock

Hopefully our team next year is competent enough to provide some reason for fans to do their thing when T-Tech comes to town. I'm expecting the game to fill my quote box up for a few years.

"It was louder than Allen.." etc. etc.

T

...8)
                              Oh man I can't wait for that game. A Big 12 team actually coming to Koch Arena, it's a miracle. :cry:

Comment

Working...
                              X