New Series for the Shockers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Series for the Shockers?

Do you think that Wichita State would ever start a series with Louisville? While I hate the Cardinals, I would love to go to our new downtown arena wearing my gold and black to root for the Shocks! Let me know what you think about this idea and if it would ever happen.

That question is probably better answered by examining Louisville's current and recent non-conference opponents.

I think it will take another year or two to see how Marshall's scheduling philosophy develops at this level.

Comment

Here is the non-conference schedule for UofL this year. I don't see why they wouldn't want to have a series with Wichita State. How do the fans travel to away games?

Findlay Toyota Las Vegas Invitational 1st/2nd Rnd
      11/17/07 vs. HARTFORD FREEDOM HALL TBA
      11/18/07 vs. JACKSON STATE FREEDOM HALL TBA

11/21/07 at UNLV Las Vegas, Nev. 9:00 p.m. ET
      Findlay Toyota Las Vegas Invite 3rd/Final Rnd
      11/23/07 vs. BYU Las Vegas, Nev. 9:00 p.m. ET
      11/24/07 vs. North Carolina/Old Dominion Las Vegas, Nev. TBA

12/01/07 vs. MIAMI (OH) FREEDOM HALL TBA
      12/08/07 vs. DAYTON FREEDOM HALL 2:00 p.m. ET
      John Wooden Tradition
      12/15/07 vs. Purdue Indianapolis, Ind. 3:30 p.m. ET

12/18/07 vs. MARSHALL FREEDOM HALL TBA
      Billy Minardi Classic
      12/22/07 vs. NEW MEXICO STATE FREEDOM HALL TBA

12/26/07 vs. MOREHEAD STATE FREEDOM HALL TBA
      12/29/07 vs. IONA FREEDOM HALL TBA

Comment

I see one game on that schedule that could indicate a willingness to play WSU on somewhat equitable terms (like the current LSU contract) and that is the game at UNLV.

Every other game on their schedule is at home, and at this point, I don't see WSU agreeing to a one-and-done. That is the aspect of Marshall's scheduling that will take a year or two to evaluate.

Unless it were a nationally televised game, I wouldn't want WSU to do a one-and-done with UL.

Comment

I absolutely loved the one-and-OWNED with Syracuse (+80k). More of those pleeeeease!!! :good:

T

...8)

Comment

The game against Dayton is a follow up to the game that was played in Dayton last year. Dayton won that game as well. UofL has also played at Marshall as well, and that series got started when Billy Donovan was the coach there I believe. I don't think that it is out of reach for UofL to pick up the Shocks for their schedule, although I'm not the AD. I hope it could happen in the future though.

Comment

Just curious on why you picked Louisville out of the long list that is college basketball?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Because I live in Louisville.

Comment

Originally posted by wushock27
                  The game against Dayton is a follow up to the game that was played in Dayton last year. Dayton won that game as well. UofL has also played at Marshall as well, and that series got started when Billy Donovan was the coach there I believe. I don't think that it is out of reach for UofL to pick up the Shocks for their schedule, although I'm not the AD. I hope it could happen in the future though.
                  The Dayton series you speak of would indicate to me a willingness on UL's part to play a non-BCS opponent away from home. However, it's also possible (and you can tell me if I'm off base here) it was done for recruiting reasons, like WSU playing at UMKC.

Comment

Good reason!
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I would tend to say no on the recruiting front, because Pitino doesn't seem to recruit many players from this area (Rajon Rondo is an example). The Dayton series has only been this year and last, and I'm not sure if it will continue. Other than that, looking at the past 3-4 seasons, I really haven't seen any home-road series other than the Dayton one, and of course, Kentucky.

Comment

This could happen - if for some reason Louisville rejoins the Valley.

The Valley (and WSU in particular) has a great W/L record against BE opponents the last several years.

I'm not optimistic about WSU scheduling a home-and-home with a BE school. Providence certainly won't do it again. SU will never do it and probably won't schedule a buy game with WSU again.

Utah is a realistic home-and-home. It would give Cyphers a chance to play in front of his family and friends. Utah has been down a couple of years, but they had a pretty good run from about '02 - '05.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ol' Badass Balla
                          Good reason!
                          All the same reason to schedule a one-and-one with Arizona St. lol :D
                          Heck...make it a five-for-five series. :clap:
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                          X