Valley is down..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valley is down..

I'm beginning to think we are a definate one bid conference this year. Our rpi is lower as a conference than last year and we have no significant non conference wins.

The only way I see this changing is if Ill St. is suffers three or less conference losses. Creighton wins the conference and someone else wins the Valley tournament.

It looks like we have to do something we haven't done since Fogler...win the tournament.

I think so far there are 5 teams that can hold there own.
    Ill St -So far played a weak ooc schedule.
    CU- Solid but not stellar ooc record, should have beaten both Neb and Ark LR
    Evanville- Strong win over WKen every other team weak.
    Drake-Nice win against Ia St but how do you lose to Steve F Austin at home?
    Mo St-Nice win over Ark decent ooc schedule but not enough ooc wins.

Our best shot for two bids of course will be for a conference winner that dominates the league and another team to win the MVC tourney. At this point I dont see a dominate team in the Valley. Most good records are built on weak wins. SIU and WSU have played strong ooc but we must win some of those games. I think SIU ans WSU are the wildcards at the MVC tourney. Both teams should be dramatically different in a few months.

:posterwsu: 8)
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I concur that the Valley is down and that only one, maybe two teams Dance in March. The Valley is also ripe for a team of "young guns" to emerge and :shock: some folk. Drake did just that last Season.

The Shocks should be solid at home. The mystery will be if we can learn to win on the road. The next two Seasons, we should be serious contenders. We are sure to improve upon last Season's finish and making progress is cool. If and when this talented team can huddle up and play together, will determine our fate.

A 4th place or better finish this Season is possible and still my prediction. We are better than the 9th place finish that the experts placed us. By Valley Tourney time, who knows which team will peak and win it all.
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Barring any serious injuries during the rest of the season, and the continuation and improvement of Durley's play in the post, we may finish in the middle of the pack this year.

Comment

Durleys play in the post? Since when has Durley ever played in the post?

Comment

Originally posted by t7017s
            Ever since we don't have anyone else that can!

Comment

Originally posted by shockall
              Is it really called the post if he posts at 17-18 foot out? He did do better in his last game.

Comment

Originally posted by Zardoz
                Is it really called the post if he posts at 17-18 foot out? He did do better in his last game.
                your right I think he actually might have posted up once where his big toe was touching the paint. I think the guy must be claustrophobic or something. I don't understand why but its clear he doesn't like easy buckets or rebounds.

Comment

your right I think he actually might have posted up once where his big toe was touching the paint. I think the guy must be claustrophobic or something. I don't understand why but its clear he doesn't like easy buckets or rebounds.
                  He likes to give himself a challenge. Anybody can make a 4 foot layup, but a layup from 18... now that's a challenge!

Did anybody see his 12 foot kiss off the glass the other night. Pure mastery!

Keep it up big guy, we know you can bring the pain. Just keep those legs moving! :good:

T

...8)

Comment

I think JT benefits from posting a little further from the hole than other guys. Obviously 17 ft. is too far, but his quickness and footwork allow him to use up slower defenders with spin moves and step-throughs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle
                      I think JT benefits from posting a little further from the hole than other guys. Obviously 17 ft. is too far, but his quickness and footwork allow him to use up slower defenders with spin moves and step-throughs.
                      Mostly Agreed. He had nice mid-range game on Friday. I don't know that I would say he benefits from posting further out, but he does have the shooting skills and moves to make him dangerous from 10-15 ft. But with his post moves, I like his game down on the blocks just as much.

Comment

As for Valley play the past couple of weeks . . .

Creighton seems to be settling in and playing like most of us expected.

Still don't know much about ISU (red) except that they can consistently beat inferior competition.

Evansville also seems to be performing well. I would not be surprised to see them finish around 5th or 6th.

I don't know what to think about SIU. Lowery relied heavily on his non-freshman in the loss to Nevada. In 55 combined minutes the freshmen scored a total of 4 points, all by Dillard. Evans returned but got 4 fouls in 5 minutes of play. They may struggle more than WSU.

Comment

Working...
                        X