Better to stay away from SN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I support WSU in everything that I do.

I get frustrated, as true fans are, when things don't go right.

No one's rubbing their faces into a loss. Most would probably be able to see the constructive criticism in 'negative' posts if you had an eeny, teeny, bit of realism in you.

Don't expect this place and all of the people here to be sunshine-filled, thrilled, happy, and celebratory after some frustrating events, most notably an ugly loss..
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I'm not a big country music fan, however this song has great meaning for me... and probably a few others:

Back When I Knew It All!
      This is a Montgomery Gentry song, I really enjoy it there are tons of photos and work put into this so enjoy!Please follow me @epeissig on twitter and subscr...

At the ripe old age of nineteen
      i bought a short bed pick up chicks machine
      life ran on beer and gasoline
      a half a lap ahead of the law
      i had a fake i d that got me into "tuffies"
      love was a word i used to get lucky
      was a big time spender with that plastic money
      back when i knew it all

ch.....back when the world was flat and mama and daddy didn't have a clue
      that was back......
      back when a pitcher of beer and a couple shots made me bulletproof
      back when god was a name i used in vain to get a point across when
      i got ticked off
      lord i'm learning so much more......than back when i knew it all

i found out credit cards don't mean you're rich
      and beer and gasoline don't mix
      yeah step side trucks can't jump a ditch
      and those " big house" rooms sure are small
      i've learned that love is a woman that will settle you down
      a sunday sermon can turn life around
      man i can't believe all the answers i've found
      since ....back when i knew it all

ch

br....i've done some growing up
      and i'm still growing up
      so i know i'll never be as smart as i once was
      that was back.......
      SFL is back!

Comment

Cold, your earlier comment: "*NEWS FLASH* Sports is entertainment, it isn't real-life. "

I would have to take issue with that. College sports are a part of the educational process at an instiution of higher learning; it isn't just "entertainment."

Now, professional sports - NBA, NFL, MLB - those are strictly entertaiment and the players are paid mega bucks (i.e. CC Sabathia) to entertain.

College sports are entertaining for sure, and I enjoy them much more than professional sports, but they are much more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by vancedave56
          Cold, your earlier comment: "*NEWS FLASH* Sports is entertainment, it isn't real-life. "

I would have to take issue with that. College sports are a part of the educational process at an instiution of higher learning; it isn't just "entertainment."

Now, professional sports - NBA, NFL, MLB - those are strictly entertaiment and the players are paid mega bucks (i.e. CC Sabathia) to entertain.

College sports are entertaining for sure, and I enjoy them much more than professional sports, but they are much more than that.
          Where idealism and realism collide!!!1111

Sorry man, college athletics (basketball & football) are BIG business (entertainment). Even baseball has stories of players getting their scholarships yanked because they didn't produce on the field. Baseball?

In schools that aren't competitive (of which those are the majority), college scholarships and education are the main priority. Those schools don't have fan forums because people just don't care enough to complain.

Wichita State to me is one of those "big business" schools that care first about athletic performance. We don't recruit "long-armed" athletes because they can better reach their backpacks while still strapped to their back.

I appreciate your sentiments but they are misguided if you want Wichita State to again become a perennial powerhouse. Nobody is against a basketball player getting his degree, but his free ride was given to him with the expectation that he will perform on the court.. period. If he doesn't perform, he is more than welcome to stay and get a student loan like everybody else. What a great life lesson for able-bodied yet lazy young men.

This is big-time college basketball.

T

...8)

Comment

You guys realize that things like this keep the trolls who do the bad things coming back, and pushing it more and more.

Hell, even this post feeds them.

You have to do everything you can to ignore them. I've seen one of the best trolls on the internet, one that trolled MSNBC and other major news organizations, one that would start flame wars that would rage for hundreds of pages and thousands of posts, get ignored to the point where he killed himself.

You just ignore them. Don't reply to them. Eventually, they do go away.

Comment

Another feeding frenzy, I guess...

"I appreciate your sentiments but they are misguided if you want Wichita State to again become a perennial powerhouse"

There is absolutely no correlation to the complaints on this board and the ability of Shocker basketball to become a perennial powerhouse.

There might be more complaints when it isn't, but that has no affect on the success of the program.

The program has been a powerhouse previously when there was no Shockernet on which to voice complaints (or complements for that matter).

The success (or not) of Shocker Sports affects the posters on Shockernet - not the reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
                You guys realize that things like this keep the trolls who do the bad things coming back, and pushing it more and more.

You have to do everything you can to ignore them. I've seen one of the best trolls on the internet, one that trolled MSNBC and other major news organizations, one that would start flame wars that would rage for hundreds of pages and thousands of posts, get ignored to the point where he killed himself.

This post has some validity however the key is finding out who the trolls really are. The smart ones are difficult to spot. Trolls have different intentions than say a permanently negative fan. While the former might just get their jollies off of seeing a reaction, the latter are truly hurting. Lawmaker is an example of a good troll. I've seen his work on other forums..

Ignoring a troll never works because nobody ever completely does. Ignoring is a passive-aggressive technique that rarely works on the internets because it is hard to differentiate from absence. The best way to fight a troll is to just laugh along with them and be friendly. Killing them with kindness is deadly and pulls the plug on all the momentum.

There are however, other types of posters who do not fit in those two categories.. they have other motivations and are tougher to deal with... :D

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by vancedave56
                  Another feeding frenzy, I guess...

"I appreciate your sentiments but they are misguided if you want Wichita State to again become a perennial powerhouse"

There is absolutely no correlation to the complaints on this board and the ability of Shocker basketball to become a perennial powerhouse.

There might be more complaints when it isn't, but that has no affect on the success of the program.

The program has been a powerhouse previously when there was no Shockernet on which to voice complaints (or complements for that matter).

The success (or not) of Shocker Sports affects the posters on Shockernet - not the reverse.
                  There is a direct correlation to "big-time" basketball and bitching fans. There is an expectation when you have a "big-time" program and expectations are a breeding ground for disappointment. Disappointment results in complaints. Complaints result in tender and insider-fans having their feelings hurt.

While I wasn't paying attention to Shocker radio shows and Shocker newspaper articles in the early 80's, I'm sure there was a fair bit of venom spewed during the "tense" periods. You have to understand that many of those on here that spew venom contribute BIG BUCKS to the Shocker program. This forum isn't just full of a bunch of kiddies.

And to address another point:

If you are one of those fans that seek a return to the glory days, expect less emphasis on academic scholars and clean arrest records, and more emphasis on long-arms and springy legs. Sorry, that's just how it is...

Look at Kansas. You would think with their tradition that they could recruit choir-boy-geniuses that love their mamas more than anything in the world, but even they bring in the hoods by the truckloads. You've got KU Players that are as good with a ball as they are with a switchblade. And guards that can stick to their "man" with or without their genitals exposed. And K-State?

Read my posts carefully if you are going to argue with them. I am being kind by clarifying myself a second time. Rarely do those that attack my posts even understand the point they are attacking.

T

...8)

Comment

Ditto to Doc. In my opinion that was one of the best posts ever!

Comment

OK, I've got it.

You are Bob Lutz' psychiatrist! :D

Comment

"Read my posts carefully if you are going to argue with them. I am being kind by clarifying myself a second time. Rarely do those that attack myposts even understand the point they are attacking."

Ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood

Let it be known that this guy wants people to die over a message board.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Some individuals are likened to ex-wives - everything is taken to be an argument instead of a discussion.

Two individuals each shouting loudly at each other simultaneously and neither "hears" a word that the other is saying.

Discussion Forum as opposed to a Lecture Forum.

Game time...enough of this stuff that doesn't really matter. :whistle:

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                              Originally posted by SirShoxAlot
                              Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                              How do you think HCGM responds when he sees a poor performance?
                              When Marshall gets angry because of a poor performance, I would make countless wagers on the idea that it's because he knows his players are better than their play shows. Otherwise, he wouldn't get so worked up over every game we play poorly in.

Cold, I hate your posts. You've been whining about every little thing. You're right, you're disconnected. Therefore, it's put up or shut up for you.

I can, though, respect that you think about what you say before you say it. The thing is, you're only going halfway with your thinking. Sure, there's poo splattered on the court, but you've got to learn to say, "it'll be all right because there's a janitor standing there getting ready to clean it up." You and the rest of the guys that are more... vocal... have got to understand that it's going to take more than a year or two for things to be satisfactory. That is, if satisfying you is even possible.
                              Cold, I hate your posts.
                              Jealousy and hatred are twin thieves, one cannot live without the other...

"Sir_ShoxAlot has just replaced Cold on the official list!!!!!"- MoValley John.
                              To idolize me on Valleytalk and attack me on Shockernet is the most pitiful thing I have ever seen in my life. Son, you are entering waters in which you are woefully inadequate in navigating...

T

...8)
                              So rather than backing up your position against a valid argument, you resort to personally attacking me.

Comment

Working...
                              X