What in the hell was tonight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What in the hell was tonight?

I want to try and keep an even keel about our team this year. I understand that we are only 2 years into a major, yes major rebuilding effort. I understand that the players are young and while there is talent, there is nothing there to direct that talent.

I have watched the Georgetown, MSU and Texas Tech games, and here is my #1 problem at this point. It's not that we don't have an effective gameplan, it's not that we are in awe of who we're playing, because obviously tonight was akin to playing in a Y rec league. The problem is that our kids are having absolutely no freakin' fun whatsoever. Where is the intensity, where is the smiling when we do good. Where is the desire to please the coach? Where is the fire? What is the problem? Is it that coach Marshall is too hard on them? Are they afraid of screwing up? I don't know. But I know that when you are having fun doing what you are doing, you do it better. When you want to go out and compete, you don't get crap like tonight.

I just want to see the kids having fun and getting better. If they aren't having fun, they are going to start leaving.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

That's a fairly good synopsis. I have yet to see a good team chemistry develop yet. In fairness to the team and coach, I think it's still pretty early on and they haven't had a lot of time to gel yet.

But our offense is still a joke.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

"JT won't cooperate"

""We can't break him of wanting to float around the outside...I don't know why he wants to post at 17 feet."

- Gregg Marshall

Others are making bad decisions due to youth and inexperience.

Above all, they need to get home for some Koch cookin'.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO
        "JT won't cooperate"

""We can't break him of wanting to float around the outside...I don't know why he wants to post at 17 feet."

- Gregg Marshall

I believe he was talking about stutz when refering to posting 17 feet away, not that it matters in the end result.

Comment

"JT won't cooperate"

- Gregg Marshall

Sounds like we caught some of the "stupid-itis" bug again. We gotta get some of those smart "farm kids" (as HCGM calls them) to help catapult our venerable program back to the spotlight!!!111

Perhaps I can counter your viewpoint with another...

"I just don't know Mike... we need to get better..."

"I was asking the players what kind of offense they wanted to run during halftime..."

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

T

...8)

Comment

I rem when that other coach took over and we couldnt win a game on the road for nothing. I thought man will the Shoxs ever get good? Next thing you know were in the sweet 16!

Keep the faith!
            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerLager
              "JT won't cooperate"

- Gregg Marshall

I believe he was talking about stutz when refering to posting 17 feet away, not that it matters in the end result.
              From Marshall in the post-game interview:

"JT just didn't post up hard enough to be effective down there".

That's not something fans or JT wants to hear at this stage of the season.

Comment

As I posted in the game thread:

I fear history is repeating itself. Team A or Team B, which team are you?

Come on Shocks!!!!
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

If I was HCGM I would have just came on the postgame show and totally melted down. I would have used a ton of expletives and made a sound like I was throwing my chair and knocking over the microphone when I left...

I don't like where HCGM's mind is right now.. He sounds defeated..

He must maintain his confidence and fire or this team is going to fold before the conference season even starts.

As fast and as persistent as he won down in the Big South, I wonder how well he takes to losing/struggling? I just hope he doesn't melt down or we don't start seeing player defections.

We just need signs of continual improvement. Every month we should be able to look back and say that we aren't as bad as we used to be...

T

...8)

Comment

On the one hand, I think stability has to be the cornerstone of any rebuilding. That means that you get players here for 4 years consistently and get them when they are seniors as opposed to getting them when they are freshman and sophomores, only to see them leave. But at the same time, if we have kids that are not coachable, they could do more damage than good. Coach needs to sit the group down and let them know that if they are willing to follow his rules and work to achieve attainable and escalating goals as time goes by, they can have a sense of pride and satisfaction along with rewards that come along with success, but he has to constantly engrain the greater good and ultimate goal, whatever that may be at this stage, in order for the team to buy in to what he wants. At this stage, I don't think that has been communicated are determined. That is one of my fears.

I'm not sure if this is something that he needed to deal with at his last job where he got instant gratification. Granted, the Valley is not a BCS conference, but every program has had the type of success that he found at Winthrop, so it isn't going to be quick or easy.

We as Shocker fans have seen both ends of the spectrum numerous times and for that, I think he can count his blessings that the fan base is probably one of the more patient and understanding when it comes to rebuilding. He should take advantage of that.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

We suck, but luckily so does the rest of the Valley. 3rd place finish!

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose
                        We suck, but luckily so does the rest of the Valley. 3rd place finish!
                        I'll take it! Moose for Fed Chairman! It's the best & most realistic plan I've seen since September :good:

Come on Shocks!!!!
                        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Three things that bother me, one has already been mentioned:

1. The guys look like they are having no fun whatsoever.
                          2. Marshall won't call timeouts. I'm all for letting guys figure it out but when it means the other team goes on a run and we have to work that much harder to break their momentum or we have a guy who needs to come in because someone else isn't effective but there is no stopping the clock it's time to call a time out.
                          3. Marshall didn't sound that pissed about being outrebounded and out-hustled. Someone else said earlier he sounds defeated. I wouldn't go that far but he doesn't sound as passionate as he usually is.

Comment

So goes Clevin, so goes the Shockers. When Clevin is hitting his shots and running the team effectively, we can play with anyone. I'm not putting this loss on him, but I think this is a fair assesment of this team. Previous games prove this point.

TCU's plan was to shut him down. Which they did. My fear is that in valley play, every team will use that game plan on us. Clevin just has to let things come to him through the offense (which needs a lot of work) and not force things like he did.

This was a disappointing loss, but we all knew this team was going to have some bad games in them. No doubt this was one step back, hopefully this next home stand will be two steps forward.

BTW,
                            Is Greg Marshall in over his head? NO

Is this team ready to fold their tent? NO

Are the shockers having fun right now? NO

Is JT a matador? YES (but we knew that from the start of the season)

This team works to hard not to have some success!

:goshocks:

Comment

Originally posted by shocklight
                              So goes Clevin, so goes the Shockers. When Clevin is hitting his shots and running the team effectively, we can play with anyone. I'm not putting this loss on him, but I think this is a fair assesment of this team. Previous games prove this point.
                              And that's the point. We don't have an effective offense to use when a good shooter goes cold, such as Clevin did last night. We rely too much on individual efforts and nothing on the team front.

That's the difference I've noticed in the Turgeon coached teams and the Marshall coached teams so far.

I'm still waiting for an offense.. :(
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                              X