Bracketbuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracketbuster

How do they decide who plays us in the bracketbuster? I looked on the ESPNU websight and found nothing. That game looks to be a wake up call in the Shockers case, but how do they decide who we play?
    it's up in the air

They wait until a few weeks before and match us up with an opponent of similar RPI, more or less.
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but maybe the discussion can continue in this thread.

I think it is time to get out of bracketbusters, I am hoping that the MVC/Mtn. West will replace our need for playing in the BB event.

1) It seems to me, that BB was created to eliminate good mid-major teams from making the NCAA tourney by pitting them against eachother right before the selections are made. Therefore there is a "reason" they weren't selected. Creating more 1 bid Mid-Major leagues, and more room for the 8th team out of the Big East or the 6th out of the Big 12 to make the tourney.

2) In the last two years it should have been renamed, ValleyBusters, or A-10 Busters, because if you are from either conference and lose your BB Game your post season is busted, but if you beat a (insert mediocre mid-major) you were supposed to b/c the Valley/A-10 is a better league.

3) IMO if ESPN cares enough to really make it a Bracket Busters, pair the "High-Mid's" to the bottom half BCS teams that are on the cusp of at large bids.

Thoughts?

Comment

3) IMO if ESPN cares enough to really make it a Bracket Busters, pair the "High-Mid's" to the bottom half BCS teams that are on the cusp of at large bids.

While I like the idea ,, It will never happen. Bottom 1/2 BCS teams will not participate . simply because a loss to a So called Mid would definitly kiss of death there chance at an at large ncaa bid ( and we all know that a large percentage of BCS bottoms would loose , just like in first round ncaa games
        From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

I agree with you for the most part. The only exception I know of right off hand is George Mason. I do not believe they would have made the tourney if we would have beat them at our place. Other than that, b busters kill the mids. Has WSU ever won a BB game?
          Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
          Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by RockChalkWUShock
            I know this has been discussed in other threads, but maybe the discussion can continue in this thread.

I think it is time to get out of bracketbusters, I am hoping that the MVC/Mtn. West will replace our need for playing in the BB event.

1) It seems to me, that BB was created to eliminate good mid-major teams from making the NCAA tourney by pitting them against eachother right before the selections are made. Therefore there is a "reason" they weren't selected. Creating more 1 bid Mid-Major leagues, and more room for the 8th team out of the Big East or the 6th out of the Big 12 to make the tourney.

2) In the last two years it should have been renamed, ValleyBusters, or A-10 Busters, because if you are from either conference and lose your BB Game your post season is busted, but if you beat a (insert mediocre mid-major) you were supposed to b/c the Valley/A-10 is a better league.

Thoughts?
            1. I don't agree. Maybe it has resulted in some bid losses, but I don't think that was the intent. ESPN was trying to capitalize on the mystique of mid-major success and the "cinderella story".

2. That's the same attitude we disparage the power-conference teams for.

3. Why should the BCS teams you mention agree to that? It would basically be the same thing you're accusing in point #1, but in reverse.

I haven't liked the BB even in recent years due to my feelings that the Valley as a whole had progressed beyond it. That's not the case now, but I'd still rather see the MVC opt out now that they've aligned somewhat with the MWC (who I don't think has ever participated in the BB).

Comment

We do need to get out of it. The intent behind it was good but it hasn't worked as intended and has harmed a number of good teams. I'm sure it has helped a few as well (Mason). With the MWC/MVC thing we have going on we should just use that. It's a better profile setup for us.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by capnkirk
                I agree with you for the most part. The only exception I know of right off hand is George Mason. I do not believe they would have made the tourney if we would have beat them at our place. Other than that, b busters kill the mids. Has WSU ever won a BB game?
                We won the first year against Austin Peay, but I don't believe we've won the original game since. The follow up game the next year, however, we've got a pretty good record. Not sure we've ever lost a return game.

For the last 3 years or so, the Valley in Bracketbusters has been like the nicest house in the neighborhood: bringing up everyone else's appraisal values, but not benefitting itself by being there.

This season, considering the state this league is in, there might be a Valley team that will benefit from the game.
                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Winthrop got an improved seed in the NCAA's after beating Mo State in the BB. It helped them with the MVC being a stronger league than the Big South that year.
                  Unleash Brett Burley, let all tremble before him!!!

Comment

When they started BB it was a pretty good idea. Now they have so many teams it has lost most if not all of it's appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by shockdawg
                      Winthrop got an improved seed in the NCAA's after beating Mo State in the BB. It helped them with the MVC being a stronger league than the Big South that year.
                      Improved seed? What was it?

Comment

Working...
                      X