Our offense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our offense

I'm fully aware of the clear and present danger of being put into the KC and ShockerFever camp by saying this, but I'm willing to risk it.

I'm thrilled that we now have a player like Hannah who can and will create his own shot. And the no-quit attitude this team has shown is nothing short of spectacular. But it still looks to me like our offense is not creating very many open shot opportunities. If Clevin isn't clutch in our last three games, we aren't talking about how tough we're going to be for Valley foes but what time on Thursday we're playing in St. Louis.

Outside of Durley, we have no post offense except for grabbing offensive rebounds and getting a few put-backs.

I absolutely welcome anyone to present a different view. I would really like to feel better about what I'm seeing of our offense.

:clap: :good:

I got the boss on my team.. I can't lose.. :yahoo:

In all seriousness, Royal is spot-on and that's what I've been trying to say in fewer words and in a less kind way. I've yet to see any consistent offensive flow at all. It seems like we have a bunch of guys looking to score and never to pass. Only one of them is actually scoring though.

Ironically, the best offensive scheme I've seen to date was the last play of the game where Durley? got a pass near the FT line and made a nice pass inside to Clemente for an easy lay-up.

We need more of that and less NBA stuff. I'm hopeful this issue is constantly being addressed and will show itself more in actual gameplay.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It's not so much guys not wanting to pass. I'm not seeing good flow, as SF said. I'm seeing very poor setting and using of screens (nothing new to WSU, I've complained about that for years).

Maybe it's happening and I'm not seeing it. Or maybe I'm expecting too much from a well-executed offense, I don't know. I guess that's why I'm opening my observations up to critcism.

Comment

Hey, hey, hey! Finally someone other than Fever and myself with the marbles to tell it how it is and risk ridicule from the Shockernet faithful. Although, I'm certain they would give you a pass since you beat us in a popularity contest.

Comment

Of course all would be forgiven if, oh never mind, what the heck! It pays to be a winner!
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I, too, think our offense is not in good shape. The front court shot poorly in this game. Hopefully after watching the tape, the coaches can figure out the problem and fix it.
            Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

we do dribble way too much with no objective and dont try and do anything with the offense until 10 seconds left in the shot clock. our offense is best when the defense creates it. We do have the guys that can get to the hoop (hannah, murray, hawk, and others). We play our best and with the most intensity when we are picking up full court and trying to put pressure on the other team.

Comment

Come March, none of this matters.

Marshall will have everything figured out by the time Valley play starts. And consider, we were supposed to be 9th in the Valley. Avoiding the play-in game is a defiance of expectations, and Marshall will get things working well enough to accomplish that, at least.
                Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                Students > Alumni
                If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                  Hey, hey, hey! Finally someone other than Fever and myself with the marbles to tell it how it is and risk ridicule from the Shockernet faithful. Although, I'm certain they would give you a pass since you beat us in a popularity contest.
                  It isn't what you say, it is how you say it.

If you were to say the things you said half as eloquently as Royal just did, it would be a whole different world.

You have to have more of these nuts as you do those nuts.

Anyone can see we have offensive issues. However, any team that has the youth we do is going to have offensive issues. What good does it do to do anything other than say "Yea, we have issues. Hope we improve..." and watch and see?

I'll look forward to the charts and graphs. I suspect we will see improvement between now and the end of the last pre-MVC game. I suspect we will see improvement through the MVC season.

I'm not worried yet because there isn't enough information for me to worry about. I'll worry if we see the same problems in January.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
                    Originally posted by KC Shox
                    It isn't what you say, it is how you say it.

If you were to say the things you said half as eloquently as Royal just did, it would be a whole different world.

You have to have more of these nuts as you do those nuts.

Anyone can see we have offensive issues. However, any team that has the youth we do is going to have offensive issues. What good does it do to do anything other than say "Yea, we have issues. Hope we improve..." and watch and see?

I'll look forward to the charts and graphs. I suspect we will see improvement between now and the end of the last pre-MVC game. I suspect we will see improvement through the MVC season.

I'm not worried yet because there isn't enough information for me to worry about. I'll worry if we see the same problems in January.
                    :good: Well said, Rosewood. :yes:
                    "If you're going to do it, you're going to do it right," athletic director Jim Schaus said. "If we're going to put 'Wichita State' across our chest, then every team is going to matter."

Comment

At about the 2:00 mark
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"Point guard brings the ball up the floor, dribbling across the timeline. The wing half-heartedly makes a cut from the freethrow line extended and the point lobs him a pass.

The wing holds the ball, holds it, holds it. Dribbles across the top of the key to the other wing.

Looks inside. Holds it, holds it, holds it.

The point guard comes back to the top of the key and takes the ball. The wing sets a weak pick. The point dribbles across the top of the key.

Holds it, holds it ...."

Comment

It's all a matter of gaining experience and learning to play together. Remember what an odd cast of characters we have assembled here. One returning starter, one coming off a year of sitting out, a few freshman, a sophomore transfer, other players with little playing time last season.

They will grasp the defense and rebounding first, and the offense will come. Just be thankful we do actually have some players now that CAN create their own shots...later on that will still be needed.

Comment

This problem was most evident in the Centenary game and last night. Only 5 assists last night is at least half of what we usually have. Some of last night probably was due to Tech's d but we really haven't starting clicking on our offense yet.

Interior offense will be a problem in some games throughout the year depending on match ups. Perhaps improving on quickly kicking the ball out will help.

The coach is only 7 games into putting together this new team. I'm confident the offensive flow will improve and am thankful we do have players with the ability to create until then. On another positive note, it appears Hawkins is warming up.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

Everybody needs to relax and take a minute to reflect on the miserable season we had last year. Think about our offense during to second half of the season. It was good offense with poor shooting. I am confident that Marshall understands how to coach offense.

That said, it might take a little longer this year. As bad as we were last year, most of our guys already knew how to play defense at the college level, even if they didn't yet fully understand the new schemes. With this year's team, I am sure a large percentage of practice time is being devoted to defense and rebounding. Until Marshall feels pretty comfortable with how well the young guys are defending and rebounding, we might not see as much offensive improvement as we would like.

I believe we are tremendously more talented on the offensive end this year. Once the players understand how to EFFECTIVELY run the offense, we will be pretty darn good at scoring the basketball.

Comment

HCGM made a statement last night on the pre-game that "this team executes poorly on offense." That is the bottom line. We have shooters, passers, scorers, guys that drive, etc. Thus far, off-ball offensive execution has been ugly.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X