Team observations (stats, players)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team observations (stats, players)

First, how about our FT shooting against MSU? 12 of 13!

Speaking of FTs, we are shooting .020 better than our opponents.

FG% - Almost dead even. (-.002)

3FG% - .021 better than our opponents.

+8 rebounding.

+19 assists, +4 turnovers.

-9 on steals.

Considering our opponents so far, I'm quite pleased with most of the numbers. I would like to see a few more steals, but -1.5 per game isn't bad.

As for players, I'd like to see a little more consistency from Murry. I know he's just a freshman, but we have to get points from our SGs.

I'm not quite sure what to expect from Hawkins. IIRC, the highlight video we all saw on YouTube included a lot of plays in transition, something that has been in short supply so far this year. What success I thougt we would have this year was based on double-figure scoring from AJ. I still think he may be our wildcard. If he can get his scoring going and become a legitimate threat, our offense will start clicking. We get burned so much by players penetrating then dumping off or kicking out for open shots. The Shocks need to do more of this, IMO. We can get a little from Clevin and Toure, but AJ seems to be the guy with the most potential for success in this area.

Ellis seems to be getting his game going some. I'd like to see more attacking of the basket, but maybe that will come as he hits his jumpers. Cutting down on the fouls would be nice. He's rebounding pretty well for the minutes he's playing.

We've now have a good idea of what we'll get from Stutz. He's not going to get any stronger this year, so his development will have to come in other areas. Quicker post moves and knowing what he can do against his defender.

Durley is doing better on defense than he did in the first two games. He still needs to vary his game when he gets the ball. JT, it's ok to pass out of the post. Really. And please, no more guarded 3's. That's not a good use of a posession for us.

I like how Clevin seems to be adjusting quickly. If he could get his turnovers down just a little bit, I'd have no real criticism of his game except for perhaps a few ill-advised shots.

Ramon, Reggie, Graham, David - just keep doing what you're doing.

I would like to see a little more of Mantas at PF in games where we need post defense and Ramon is getting a breather.

Re: Team observations (stats, players)

Originally posted by RoyalShock
    First, how about our FT shooting against MSU? 12 of 13!

Speaking of FTs, we are shooting .020 better than our opponents.

FG% - Almost dead even. (-.002)

3FG% - .021 better than our opponents.

+8 rebounding.

+19 assists, +4 turnovers.

-9 on steals.

Considering our opponents so far, I'm quite pleased with most of the numbers. I would like to see a few more steals, but -1.5 per game isn't bad.

As for players, I'd like to see a little more consistency from Murry. I know he's just a freshman, but we have to get points from our SGs.
    I'm not quite sure what to expect from Hawkins. IIRC, the highlight video we all saw on YouTube included a lot of plays in transition, something that has been in short supply so far this year. What success I thougt we would have this year was based on double-figure scoring from AJ. I still think he may be our wildcard. If he can get his scoring going and become a legitimate threat, our offense will start clicking. We get burned so much by players penetrating then dumping off or kicking out for open shots. The Shocks need to do more of this, IMO. We can get a little from Clevin and Toure, but AJ seems to be the guy with the most potential for success in this area.

Ellis seems to be getting his game going some. I'd like to see more attacking of the basket, but maybe that will come as he hits his jumpers. Cutting down on the fouls would be nice. He's rebounding pretty well for the minutes he's playing.

We've now have a good idea of what we'll get from Stutz. He's not going to get any stronger this year, so his development will have to come in other areas. Quicker post moves and knowing what he can do against his defender.

Durley is doing better on defense than he did in the first two games. He still needs to vary his game when he gets the ball. JT, it's ok to pass out of the post. Really. And please, no more guarded 3's. That's not a good use of a posession for us.

I like how Clevin seems to be adjusting quickly. If he could get his turnovers down just a little bit, I'd have no real criticism of his game except for perhaps a few ill-advised shots.

Ramon, Reggie, Graham, David - just keep doing what you're doing.

I would like to see a little more of Mantas at PF in games where we need post defense and Ramon is getting a breather.
    Thought this was interesting... early respect for one of our young pups:

SHOCKER REPORT

"Michigan State coach Tom Izzo assigned senior Travis Walton, a two-time All-Big 10 defensive team member, to shadow Murry.

"We knew he was a big part of their offense," Walton said. "My job was to stay in front of him.""
    SFL is back!

Comment

I noticed that most of the misses that JT has had this year have been short, just like the one he missed yesterday.

Comment

Does anyone have our stats from the Old Spice Classic games? Throwing out the games against Centenary & Florida A&M, how did we compare in FG%, rebounding, etc against better competition?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerGorilla
          Does anyone have our stats from the Old Spice Classic games? Throwing out the games against Centenary & Florida A&M, how did we compare in FG%, rebounding, etc against better competition?
          Just a hunch, but those numbers will probably be painful to see.
          That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

Code:
                     FG            3FG          FT       Reb   A  TO
            WSU  64-167 38.3%  20-49 40.8%  31-42 73.8%   99  30  50
            Opp  67-145 46.2%   9-37 24.3%  50-76 63.8%  101  36  48

Comment

Not bad considering the competition.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Code:
                         FG            3FG          FT       Reb   A  TO
                WSU  64-167 38.3%  20-49 40.8%  31-42 73.8%   99  30  50
                Opp  67-145 46.2%   9-37 24.3%  50-76 63.8%  101  36  48
                Thanks, Royal! :good:

Comment

I will continue to believe and contend that this is a good shooting team.....much better than last year....better than 2007.....not as good as 2006 and better than almost every year before that.

I expect that we will be a high 4X% team at year end.

Or I will catch heck from many here. Well, that'll be fun too.

Comment

One big deficiency I saw this last weekend was our fast break offense. We missed way too many easy layups. I don't know if they were expecting to be fouled or what happened. But my 4th grader could have made some of those points that were missed.

Comment

I look for AJ to start finding his game in mid January. Remember Kyle and Karon didn't exactly set the world on fire their first few WSU games and they both turned into good, if not very good, college basketball players. Don't underestimate how difficult sitting out a year can be.

Comment

Re: Team observations (stats, players)

I'm not quite sure what to expect from Hawkins. IIRC, the highlight video we all saw on YouTube included a lot of plays in transition, something that has been in short supply so far this year. What success I thougt we would have this year was based on double-figure scoring from AJ. I still think he may be our wildcard. If he can get his scoring going and become a legitimate threat, our offense will start clicking.

Give him films of this man and tell him to emmulate The Hawk!

8) :posterwu:

Go AJ!
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                        X