Valley down this year - Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valley down this year - Why?

So what are the factors that have led to the Valley being down this year, if early non-conference results are a measure? Just a few years ago it had the potential to solidify itself as a perennial multiple bid conference with good coaches and some institutions that were willing to devote considerable resources to their basketball programs in terms of facilities and salaries. I know that Doug Elgin no longer has the "must schedule a sub-150 RPI schedule" rule in effect any more, but I'm wondering what the other factors are in the valley's dip in performance. We know that Turgeon wasn't able to land the same level of recruits in his final couple of years that he once did, but what happened with everyone else?

Coaching changes at WSU, UNI, MSU certainly have something to do with it - and of course things are a bit cyclicle.

Comment

Plus, coaching changes at Drake, IlSt, InSt, Evansville (well, that one probably doesn't count).

That doesn't explain CU, SIU, and BU appearing to be down from "normal" this year. Maybe we over-adjusted our expectation of "normal" from a nice little 5-year run.

The Valley looks like it will be better in the next several years. There are a lot of good-looking Fr this year.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

As the Shockers go....so goes the Valley

:wsu_posters:

Comment

The MVC's strength was being loaded with experienced players. The problem is that unless you're bringing in top-100 players that can get good PT right awy, recruiting suffers. Good young players want to play right away, not wait 2-3 years before getting their shot. Combine that with all the coaching changes and what I think was probably a little luck (with scheduling and results) that we're no longer getting, you have a down conference.

Think of the players the conference had in a few year's span:

CU - Korver, Funk.
          SIU - Williams, Brooks, Roberts, Dearman, Tatum
          BU - O'Bryant, Somerville, Franklin
          WSU - Miller, Wilson, Cooz.
          UNI - Jacobsen

I'm sure I'm missing a few. The league just isn't as deep with quality, experienced players. But I think that is going to change in a year or two, particularly with us and SIU's young class. CU has some good young players too. MSU has some potential with a new coach and new arena.

Comment

CU : Tolliver
            MSU: Ahearn

Both made the NBA

:wsu_posters:

Comment

I think it's way too early to write off the MVC this year - seems to me that there's been a slew of "upsets" and under achieving programs so far this year in several leagues. Give the coaches time to work their programs and settle in a little. The valley is still scheduling stronger opponents as far as I can see by most teams and will or already have tangled with several. Let's settle for a little old fashioned foundation building and calm the instant gratification crowd. The league will finish this year solidly and with the talent on board and being developed our league will do just fine.

Comment

To gain national respect and dancing bids the MVC has to do well in out of conference play. The Shockers and Bradley beating Michigan State just might be the best hope.

I don't think the Aces have a chance against North Carolina and it's not much better for Indiana State vs. Louisville and Purdue.

If the Valley could sweep the following it would help but nothing earth shaking:

Bradley vs. Butler
                Creighton vs. Dayton and St. Joseph's
                Drake and Northern Iowa vs. Iowa and Iowa State
                Shocker vs. Texas Tech and TCU

After that it's pretty much conference and bracket buster action.
                In the fast lane

Comment

How about the 5 & 8 rule or ones similar to it being revoked as a possible explanation for the Valley's drop? Turgeon thought the rule helped level the playing field for mid-majors...

Comment

Working...
                  X