Katz tune changing in blog on Old Spice Classic site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katz tune changing in blog on Old Spice Classic site

Hey had not seen this posted but thought Id put it up for anyone interested..and yes Andy Katz wrote this. Obviously hes much like all the hacks out there more interested in drama and being controversial than being an informative unbiased analyst. Its seems much of ESPN is this way....Its why I love my NFL on sirius radio and if im at home its the NFL network

Wichita State:
    The Shockers stunned this field by playing with as much spirit and determination as anyone here.

Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall has the Shockers playing the way he wants, with passion on every possession. Marshall said he's starting from the ground up, but his energy is clearly rubbing off on the players.

The Shockers were shaky early but then were in step with the Hoyas for the final 30-plus minutes. Wichita State was right there to win the game, despite shooting 27.9 percent overall, 26.3 percent on 3s. The Shockers made some key buckets when needed, from players like David Kyles or Ramon Clemente, but weren't able to keep Georgetown off the free-throw line.

Marshall made an interesting move when he went from Winthrop to Wichita State. He had South Florida, once was the head coach at College of Charleston before going back, and maybe never was going to be the head coach at South Carolina. But that's OK. You could make the point that Marshall is in a much better situation with a salary that pays him over $800,000, a seven-year contract, and a chance to climb higher in the Missouri Valley than he likely would have if he had been in the SEC East. There is no guarantee that Marshall would have, could have, maybe even should have, gotten the South Carolina job after Dave Odom. That's moot. He's happy at Wichita and sees the Shockers, especially behind players like freshmen Toure' Murry and Garrett Stutz, helping him move the program up quickly.
    all of his comments on the teams can be seen here
    1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

How quickly a couple of games will change a person's mind.

Comment

Re: Katz tune changing in blog on Old Spice Classic site

Originally posted by WSUShokker
      Hey had not seen this posted but thought Id put it up for anyone interested..

Wichita State:
      The Shockers stunned this field by playing with as much spirit and determination as anyone here.

Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall has the Shockers playing the way he wants, with passion on every possession. Marshall said he's starting from the ground up, but his energy is clearly rubbing off on the players.

The Shockers were shaky early but then were in step with the Hoyas for the final 30-plus minutes. Wichita State was right there to win the game, despite shooting 27.9 percent overall, 26.3 percent on 3s. The Shockers made some key buckets when needed, from players like David Kyles or Ramon Clemente, but weren't able to keep Georgetown off the free-throw line.

Marshall made an interesting move when he went from Winthrop to Wichita State. He had South Florida, once was the head coach at College of Charleston before going back, and maybe never was going to be the head coach at South Carolina. But that's OK. You could make the point that Marshall is in a much better situation with a salary that pays him over $800,000, a seven-year contract, and a chance to climb higher in the Missouri Valley than he likely would have if he had been in the SEC East. There is no guarantee that Marshall would have, could have, maybe even should have, gotten the South Carolina job after Dave Odom. That's moot. He's happy at Wichita and sees the Shockers, especially behind players like freshmen Toure' Murry and Garrett Stutz, helping him move the program up quickly.
      http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...name=katz_andy
      Katz hit a sore spot with many of us by constantly pointing out how bad of a team we were suppose to be coming into this.

But it takes a big man to admit when he is wrong and do so not only in an article/blog for the country to read but to admit it in an interview with Marshall immediately after the Siena game.

Many writers would just point out how poorly the other team played just to help spin it so that they don't look like they pegged the team wrong. Katz chose to take the high road.

He is forgiven....
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Seems our crowd impressed Katz too:

Final note:
        The crowds were tremendous. The evening session was a sellout at 4,644 fans. Watch television this week, and you'll see that a lot of these nonconference events don't draw flies. Credit fans like those of Wichita State, Tennessee and Michigan State for their passion and pride to come down over Thanksgiving and wear their school colors
        Way to represent for any that made the trip. You made Shocker nation proud. I could definately hear you guys get loud a few times :).
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I am not a Katz apologist but when we were making our runs he was "on board" and in my opinion he called a spade a spade when we imploded in Vegas. To be honest, I am pleased with the response the pundits have thus far given our beloved Shocks. Stay the course and wear your shades Shocker fans!

Go Shocks!!!!
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

well I agree with him recognizing his lack of insight with the team and our players....and at times he I have liked his reporting....but admit this..when he was on our band wagon ..it was the sexy thing to do at the time....but his comments about Greg Marshalls crazy notion of even taking this job and that he would basically waste 4 or more years of his life by coming here...Im sure someone else has the quotes ....but he has continuously had disparaging remarks regarding the university, Marshalls decision to come here ect..I know its all about getting people to read his diatribe and any whatever means he needs to use to get it done...he seems sometime not to care about being informative or objective ...its when he wants to be cutting edge and focus on whatever negative he can find and then exagerate it to the nth degree.....Its sports reporting done in the motif of Inside Edition...

I read my post and Ill agree that Im probably a little critical of mr. katz...I will say some of his reporting can be good at times....He just made it personal with me with some of his comments about us over the last year or so. Here is hoping he see's the new chapter WSU is writing to its long and respected basketball tradition
            1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

He can say we suck over an over again and it wouldnt bother me.

But going out of his way to slam the school and the coach for taking the job is out of line.

it has to be said for like the millionth time.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock
                I am not a Katz apologist but when we were making our runs he was "on board" and in my opinion he called a spade a spade when we imploded in Vegas. To be honest, I am pleased with the response the pundits have thus far given our beloved Shocks. Stay the course and wear your shades Shocker fans!

Go Shocks!!!!
                Agree - Katzs goes from putting us on top of the bus to throwing us under and has us riding the bus.

Oh well.

I hope everyone one has March 6 on their calendar.

Comment

I couldn't care less what Katz thinks anymore.

Shocker Nation did represent well on TV!
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Katz does give teams a lot of publicity though.

Again, I'm happy he was able to be a professional and eat his words. Of course, we could prove him right still and tank the rest of the year..

Who knows..

He's just doing his job. I'm still p'ed about how he went about doing the stuff he said earlier. Oh well. Moving on..
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Re: Katz tune changing in blog on Old Spice Classic site

Originally posted by shockerfan
                      Originally posted by WSUShokker
                      Hey had not seen this posted but thought Id put it up for anyone interested..

Wichita State:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...name=katz_andy
                      Katz hit a sore spot with many of us by constantly pointing out how bad of a team we were suppose to be coming into this.

But it takes a big man to admit when he is wrong and do so not only in an article/blog for the country to read but to admit it in an interview with Marshall immediately after the Siena game.

Many writers would just point out how poorly the other team played just to help spin it so that they don't look like they pegged the team wrong. Katz chose to take the high road.

He is forgiven....
                      I totally respect him for this. Like you said--to admit you're wrong--especially when you're supposed to be 'the' big analyst in the business.

Comment

One thing I like about Mr. Katz's blog post is his use of the word "Wichita". We had a thread in the off season about the use of Wichita versus Wichita State, I'm in the camp that the university drop the "state" from the name and return to Wichita University. Sorry for a relatively pointless post, it's early and I'm killing time on the crackberry before breakfast with the family at the Good Egg.

Go Shocks!!!!
                        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

More from Katz:

:wsu_posters:

Comment

Originally posted by moshock
                            Wonder how he cooked that crow. Nice to see he can say he was wrong. Go Shocks :goshocks: 8)
                            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Is Katz the new Billy Packer? Another know it all dumb ass.
                              First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Working...
                              X