Basketball grudge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basketball grudge.

I'm new to this board but I saw that topic a few days ago stating how Roy Williams has a grudge against WSU or better yet the student section. I'll say this: I've been to my fair share of Ku and KSU basketball games and some of them have gotten intense. Heck, I was at the 1997 Ku vs. Ksu (at Ksu) when Ku was ranked #1 in the nation, Ksu came out and have them a game and almost won. As you can imagine, their crowd got out of hand.. Then I start going to school at Wichita State.. The 1st game I ever went to was the LSU game last season. Dunno what it was, but considering the game was a 20 pt. blow out from the get go, the crowd in Koch seemed alive and pumped fro the get go. It was different than Ku and Ksu games. Considering Wichita and LSU go WAY back with that rivalry in the 80's, I couldn't even imagine how Koch would of been if that game would of have been close. Fast Forward to the UMKC game. I'm sitting in the student section, suddenly I noice in the 2nd half the UMKC players are getting ticked at the student section and are standing up and yelling back (once while Clemente was shooting free throws, had to be a distraction.) My point is, Koch gets so loud and crazy at times because WSU has a good basketball history (plenty of people there wanting to back it up) I can't even imagine that place if KU came, wouldn't want to actually. I mean LSU was an 80's relic that wanted in Koch some day. I honestly think Ku would feel unsafe if they ever came back.
    it's up in the air

Someday in the next couple of years, when the synergism of the Shock players is in sync with that of the Shock fans, there will be fear in the hearts of all that dare to play us both at home and away.

Comment

overlooked

I'd like to add that I think Koch Arena gets whay over looked after the remodel. Oklahoma States arena gets alot of credit for being intimidating for incoming teams. I truly believe that Koch is up there. If you compare us to the others, fans don't sell out K-State games unless they got 2 NBA players playing for them. And KU fans stand the whole time, but don't actually get into the games because they expect to win or something. After the LSU game last season, I seriously went around telling friends and family that Koch Arena is a rowdy place compared to Bramlage Coliseum and Allen Field House. Then my dad refused to believe Koch arena sells out (he's a KU fan) so I took him to the Flordia A&M game to let him see with own eyes. The young shocks were playing lowly Flordia A&M on a 75 degree day and Koch still nearly sold out. Solid evidance that WSU does in fact have a loyal fan base that is capable of getting rowdy. It's crazy to think when you see Koch sold out: How large and loyal is WSU's fan base? Considering that, think of the future for KSU athletics. Their praying basketball will be good up there, they've officialy flushed football down the toilet and everyone know's K-State fans don't really see eye to eye with basketball, unless of course they bring in 2 NBA players...
      it's up in the air

Comment

Koch is a wonderful arena, but it is apperently not that intimdating for other teams, since we lose there quite often and teams usually seem to shoot lights out against us.

Comment

I think Koch being a loud, consistently sold-out, and an overall nice arena works just as much against WSU as it helps. Players on the other team want to get back at the 10,500 fans cheering against them. Therefore, they play better and it's a much bigger game to them rather than playing in a 15% full, dump of an arena.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock
            I think Koch being a loud, consistently sold-out, and an overall nice arena works just as much against WSU as it helps. Players on the other team want to get back at the 10,500 fans cheering against them. Therefore, they play better and it's a much bigger game to them rather than playing in a 15% full, dump of an arena.
            That actually makes a lot of sense.

Hence, SIU Arena.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
            X