Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you keep Toure and David off the floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you keep Toure and David off the floor?

Discuss.

Personally, I have no idea.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Re: How do you keep Toure and David off the floor?

Originally posted by WuDrWu
    Discuss.

Personally, I have no idea.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:
    I agree. Even though it was just a 20 min scrimmage they didn't hardly resemble freshmen. They were very poised and showed extremely good skills. Very good first impression for me. They are human and just freshmen so they will have their good and bad times, but it's exciting to see for myself what kind of potential those 2 have.

I have a question for those that watched pick up games this summer. I have no doubt they have probably improved over that time, but do any of you feel that they are leaps and bounds better than they were during the summer already? Or is this pretty much the exact same Toure and David that everyone saw all summer?
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I feel there has been an adjustment period. For those of us slightly advanced in age, it is easy to forget the struggles when making the jump from high school to college....having nothing to do with athletics.

There is simply a lot going on in their lives. I think David and Toure did a good job of taking it in, watching how the older guys acted, learned and adjusted.

Both of these kids are poised to explode on the court. I have spent considerable time trying to remember players this prepared to compete at the D1 level. Nobody this decade. Maybe Jason Perez. Mo Evans had the skills but he didn't face the day to day competition these 2 young men have over the last 3 years.

I have to go back to Guff and Coop to find players that combined skill and on the floor knowledge and game experience.

Both David and Toure have more upside....and all 4 of the guys I just mentioned were really, really good.

Comment

Its simple
        You dont
        Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Clearly you all have seen him a lot more than I at this point, but as HCGM has said, these guys are young. They are going to make mistakes--probably some really big ones that may really frustrate us (and him) at times.

I think the key to playing time for any/all of the freshman is work ethic in practice and their ability to DEFEND. Remember, JT last year had many flashes of brilliance offensively but saw limited playing time because his defense hurt us so bad. And that was in a year where the bench was so shallow assistant coaches had to practice with the team to provide warm bodies to compete against!

If any of them REALLY get after it on defense, both in practice and in games and show what they're made of in that way, I have very little doubt HCGM will play them a lot--possibly start them. We have the luxury of making guys work for playing time which is a plus that will pay dividends now and in the years ahead.

The new guys are showing (as we hoped) certain skills that are not easily taught, but rather refined (shooting skill and ability to score) but defense will be how we become a real force in the Valley and beyond and how soon that happens depends on how quickly the new guys buy into that idea.

I know this thread isn't about him, but all I can say is--C'mon JT... get that defense in gear and show these other new guys how it's done. Of course Ramon will do that too.

Comment

These two young guards are going to see a lot of playing time. Both move well with and without the ball. Both can penetrate and dish/finish. Both have A LOT of confidence and are athletic as hell. D for FR is usually the concern, but as quick as these two are I'm pretty confident it'll be there. But as athletic as this team is I also believe the rotations in help D will be there to help cover some of that and allow these guys and others to over play a little on D to cause some real problems.

I'm excited!!!
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Interesting topic. Toure and David vs. Sean and Matt. It will be interesting to see if they progress as fast as Sean and Matt did. Toure seems to have as much basketball savy as Matt. Always in the right place at the right time. I think his stats at the end of the games will suprise most. David is explosive, but can he play defense? He got lazy after the dunk (Showing off), and his man sprinted down the court. Little things like that will be learned. I know one thing, I'm pumped again about shocker basketball. It's fun when you get to watch player development.

Comment

I don't think you can keep Kyles or Murry off the court. I still say I think Hannah and Kyles will play, and relieved with Reggie and Murry. That way each of them plays with an experienced guard, and get their chance on the court.

The lineups have so many options this year, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Comment

I have to aqree with the consensus here that these two guys will get plenty of minutes this year.

Whether or not it is in a starting role is really not that important, but they will get to play plenty.

With the tools at his disposal this year HCGM no doubt will turn up the heat on the defensive side as much as possible and distribute the minutes as much as possible to keep legs as fresh as possible.

First impression of the new guys is definitely very positive.

Comment

This is a nice concern to have. Just last year, our squad was so plaqued with injuries, I thought we were going to have to send Sub and Tyrone to the practice floor to have enough warm bodies to survive. There were times last year that we could not shoot the ball in the ocean. Now we have quality depth with several players that can shoot the rock. This will only get better.

Next year, add Kenny Manigault to our guards and you won't keep him off the floor either. Then add Gabe Blair and Hamilton to fill in nicely for Mantas and Ramon who will graduate. More than likely, in the late signing period, we could add a Juco swing player or the best player we can sign.

Last night was very nice breath of fresh air in regards to the improvements we are seeing in this Program. Last Season, we lost at least 8 games by very low margains. This Season, our Defense will be more stingy, quick, and tenacious. We now have some players that can drain the J, penetrate and score or dish, draw more fouls, and these improvements will result in more wins. Lastly, last night Reggie Chamberlin did not have a big night. Believe me when I tell you though that he is a gamer and will also make Shocker fans very happy.
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

May be simplistic, but if we play uptempo on offense, and press and trap on defense, there should be a lot more rotation among the wings. Pleanty of time for all, maybe.

Comment

you can't stop them, you can only hope to contain them

Comment

Clevin and Reggie!

Not that I want to keep either off the floor, but these two are also very quality athletic guards, although not as tall.

The guard position is in very capable hands with considerable depth to really get after it defensively. With lots of steals and good rebounding, the tempo coulf be very exciting.
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Their playing time will be determined by their success against a multitude of defensive & offensive schemes by the real opposition. So far the team has only played against themselves, therefore it can't be determined how good they really are.

If HCGM sees them as a substantial gain for the team, they will get plenty of playing time, but I doubt if he will make that decision based on a shocker madness pickup game.

Comment

Based off of what I saw last night, Toure starts from the get go. Probably the best player on the court last night. Kyles will see a ton of minutes as well. I'm guessing that both of them average more than twenty minutes per game this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X