To refresh your guys' memory about the dunk contest in 07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To refresh your guys' memory about the dunk contest in 07

Wichita State Shocker Madness 07 Charles Koch Arena with Griskenas, Hawkins, and Clemente dunk contest.

This video should also remind all how few people were in the stands for Shocker Madness last year.....much less than in the previous years...

Need all to be at Shocker Madness this year.......

No need to respond to this post with any silly a$$ reasons why you can't be there!

Comment

I think that after last year, we are a 'hungry' crowd and have high expectations for this coming year. I think the crowd will be there this year, I know I will, wouldn't miss it.

We have a contest in my family every year to pick the 'darkhorse' player of the year, and Shocker Madness is our first glimpse for the contest.

Comment

I'll be there! I'll also be judging the slam dunk contest this year, had hoped my daughter could do the judging, but they said it had to be me.

Comment

Originally posted by shockall
          .....much less than in the previous years...!
          I disagree...the attendance was every bit as good last year as in years past. I do think we will surpass last year, but this event is typically not well attended compared to actual games.

Comment

Originally posted by henrytheshock
            Originally posted by shockall
            .....much less than in the previous years...!
            I disagree...the attendance was every bit as good last year as in years past. I do think we will surpass last year, but this event is typically not well attended compared to actual games.
            Not......watch the video in this thread and see all the prime empty seats....Much larger crowds in previous years.

Comment

Last year was a little less but not as much as some seem to remember. I'm not sure we've ever had more than 6, maybe 7 thousand.

Lets also remember last year was in the middle of the week and that prevents a number of out of towners from making it.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Last year was around 6,000. Hate to say it, but there is a bit of drop-off in interest this year. Last year there was a season-ticket waiting list. Some bandwagon fans have lost interest. The waiting list fans were probably at Shocker Madness last year. Those who jumped off the bandwagon won't be there this year.

Throw in a volleyball game and put it on a Saturday and I think we'll surpass last year's attendance easily. I think 7,500 - 8,000 will be there. But then, that's the number I predicted last year, too.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

No knocking the crowd last year, but..

It was a mid-week event. That sucks. Too many fans on board know how little they really get to see with the Madness, and exactly how much they don't want to see.

I don't know the percentage, but I bet it's pretty high, attend to watch the men play a "pick-up game." That's all it is. All the other stuff that you have to sit through to get to that part, and some of it is painful, including the dunk contest, I could really do without. I'd rather see an NBA-style 3 point shooting contest than a dunk contest, or even a good game of HORSE. Say the event starts at 6PM....I know people who are not attending only because the men won't take the floor till 8PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker
                    No knocking the crowd last year, but..

It was a mid-week event. That sucks. Too many fans on board know how little they really get to see with the Madness, and exactly how much they don't want to see.

I don't know the percentage, but I bet it's pretty high, attend to watch the men play a "pick-up game." That's all it is. All the other stuff that you have to sit through to get to that part, and some of it is painful, including the dunk contest, I could really do without. I'd rather see an NBA-style 3 point shooting contest than a dunk contest, or even a good game of HORSE. Say the event starts at 6PM....I know people who are not attending only because the men won't take the floor till 8PM.
                    I totally concur with JV. I’m always stoked for the season to commence with high expectations for Shocker Madness… each time, I come away somewhat disappointed. Examples include the unveiling of the ‘new’ WuShock :( ; Darrell Smith arriving on a Harley; the anticipation of EO stepping out of a CH-47 Chinook helicopter :D ; boring dunk and three point shooting competitions; etc.

Additionally, I’ve been critical of our marketing department in the past and have always felt that more could be done to ‘spice up’ Shocker Madness… I feel it’s been marketed to the ‘younger’ Shocker crowd (not saying that’s a bad idea). IMO, planning this year’s event to follow a Volleyball game is a start in the right direction. Unfortunately, a 20 minute ‘running’ clock scrimmage doesn’t give anyone much time for talent evaluation.

Regardless, I’m always thrilled to see the new basketball recruits take the floor for the first time.

:good:
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I don't mind the dunk contests - if there are decent dunks. Last year was the best year since Duke Tschomba took off Wu's head. With the added athleticism they can be entertaining again.

But count me as one who would love to see the return of an old-fashioned 3-pt shooting contest.

Comment

Will A.J. be participating in the dunk contest?

Comment

Working...
                        X