Another 8th place prediciton, BUT...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by benishock
    It's my belief that a college bassketball team must do three things in the last two minutes to win close games: 1)play decent defense without fouling, 2) taake care of the ball (no turnovers) and 3) make free throws. Last year's team did not do these things or they would have won 18 maybe 20 games. I hope this year's team is better at these things
    I believe that they only need one thing: to have more points than the other team by the end.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Re: News flash!

Originally posted by SB Shock
      Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded

Men's football: excited
      Beat the dead horse all you want, but WSU football isn't coming back.

What would Karl Peterjohn think about that? :lol:
      Because Denny Crane says so Dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
        The Shocks have never been known for being a good free throw shooting team. Typically, we have 1, maybe 2 decent players on free throws, but overall as a team, we range from decent at best to borderline poor.
        We usually end up as a team in the 61% range by season's end.

I thought Mrs. Marshall was going to champion this area for the team?

I would like to see a big improvement in this area up to 72% or better. I don't understand a player that can hit jumpers, but bricks his free throws.
        Some players have an obvious bad form for shooting free throws.

We could have won a few more games last year if we had had decent free throw shooting.

Six of the top ten FT shooting teams in Shocker history have been since 2000. Last years team, as bad as it seemed, was 67%. I'm not so worried about that this year as we have a number of players that won't be a problem there.

I believe to make the top 10 the team has to hit right around 71%.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Re: News flash!

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
          Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
          Originally posted by WSUwatcher
          "I'm not hopeful, I'm expectant."

Good heavens, Cold -- you're pregnant? No wonder you've been so cranky lately. You've been threatening to make KC look like a Sunshine Boy.
          I'm not cranky. For those that aren't completely familiar with my current disposition on the topics I have been posting on, I offer this for clarification:

Politics: ambivalent

Men's football: excited

Men's basketball: expectant & anxious

Jim Schaus: reminiscent

T

...8)
          And in case anyone thinks that Cold's opinion means anything here is another one of his:

Casey Crawford: Pee his pants excited, man-crush
          And since you thought it necessary to temporarily derail this thread by bringing forth the issue of whether or not C0|d's opinion matters, you have made it clear that it matters to you.

You sir have voted with your actions and let me be the first to thank you for your vote! :good:

T

...8)

Comment

I was wondering who would be the first to turn on Marshall. Now we know.

Before we start making comparisons between the early records of Marshall and Turgeon, remember this. Turgeon's hiring was planned. Marshall's was forced. Turgeon had time to plan his early recruiting. Marshall had to take the best he could find after the late signing period was closed, just to be able to field a team.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Aargh, that's not how I remember it.

Turgeon's first class - CC McFall, Duke Tschomba, Matt Clark and Adam Grundvig - were all late signees, none of which were on our radar prior to his hiring, IIRC. Very little time to plan. At least one of Smithson's recruits, Chris Cameron, bailed.

Marshall was hired around April 14, just after the start of the early signing period. Of Marshall's first class (Clemente, Griskenas, Ellis) only Ellis came on after the signing period due to the ineligibility of Ejike Hart.

I think the big drawback of Marshall's first season was the loss of Guy and the injury to Matt. I also think the league is better from top to bottom now than it was in 2000 and 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock

Turgeon's first class - CC McFall, Duke Tschomba, Matt Clark and Adam Grundvig - were all late signees, none of which were on our radar prior to his hiring, IIRC. Very little time to plan. At least one of Smithson's recruits, Chris Cameron, bailed.

Marshall was hired around April 14, just after the start of the early signing period. Of Marshall's first class (Clemente, Griskenas, Ellis) only Ellis came on after the signing period due to the ineligibility of Ejike Hart.

I think the big drawback of Marshall's first season was the loss of Guy and the injury to Matt. I also think the league is better from top to bottom now than it was in 2000 and 2001.
                I agree.

Matt Clark had one D-1 offer.

Comment

I did have the women's record, by mistake, when I quoted stats before.

Here are the men's standings:

Bradley and Northern Iowa both had 9-9 records in Conference, and ended up 5th and 6th respectively.

Interesting to note that the MVC conference is rated 7th, while the Big South is rated 25th in Conferences.

Comment

I think with this young team the coaching staff just want to see improvement everyday.Wins & losses will not tell the story for this team, although I think they will have more than our fair share of wins.Individually each player took it personal to get better coming into the season and from what I'm hearing there will be a few suprises.Being picked 8th was perfect because it added to the chip that's already on CGM shoulder.You can best believe he will take no prisoners this yr and his team is ready to get after people defensively.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio

I agree.

Matt Clark had one D-1 offer.
                      And didn't Adam end up hurt most the year? And yes the league is much better now than it was.

Comment

Adam also didn't return the next year and Uke (No D) spent most of his senior season keeping his seat on the bench warm.

There really isn't any doubt that Turgeon's job coming in was more difficult. He may have left the cupboard bare here, but without building the program to where it was at the time, I doubt Marshall could have landed Griz, Ellis, Hawkins, Stutz, Kyles, Murry or Blair, or secure Clemente's commitment right out of the gate.

Turgeon's first full class included a 6'10 project (Miller), an academic risk (Howard), a SG with no other D-1 offers (Burns), a decent CF (Kampman) and a high upside F with issues (Sowers).

Turgeon did a pretty amazing job using that class to build the foundation of the program. In a lot of ways, MT created something special out of series of recruiting classes that contained a lot of "misfits" in one form or another: Clark, Miller, Howard, Burns, Hogg, Holman, Bradley, Wilson.

Comment

Adam also didn't return the next year and Uke (No D) spent most of his senior season keeping his seat on the bench warm.

There really isn't any doubt that Turgeon's job coming in was more difficult. He may have left the cupboard bare here, but without building the program to where it was at the time, I doubt Marshall could have landed Griz, Ellis, Hawkins, Stutz, Kyles, Murry or Blair, or secure Clemente's commitment right out of the gate.

Turgeon's first full class included a 6'10 project (Miller), an academic risk (Howard), a SG with no other D-1 offers (Burns), a decent CF (Kampman) and a high upside F with issues (Sowers).

Turgeon did a pretty amazing job using that class to build the foundation of the program. In a lot of ways, MT created something special out of series of recruiting classes that contained a lot of "misfits" in one form or another: Clark, Miller, Howard, Burns, Hogg, Holman, Bradley, Wilson.
                          Completely agree. But sometimes coaches have to take a chance in order to make it work. It did for Turgeon and I can kinda see that with Marshall too. He is recruiting the kids that Turgeon probably wouldn't have (but we won't go there anymore). He is sticking his neck out pursuing kids that most would think unsignable by the "Lowly Wichita State".

Comment

I had a chance to hear Coach Marshal speak recently......He pointed out that we have 13 players with a cumulitive total of 5 years D-1 experience. Said Stutz was the most skilled big man he has been around but was young and did not know how quickly he would respond to the physical play...AJ will be a leader along with Clemente...Kyles and Murry will eventually be major contributors to the program. There will be times when fans say "wow" and times that we scratch our heads....Seemed to predict middle of pack finish, continued improvement thru-out year and a tough out at the MVC tourney...this was the heart of what I can remember...Maybe he is keeping expectations low..but it sounds fairly realistic

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                              He is sticking his neck out pursuing kids that most would think unsignable by the "Lowly Wichita State".
                              IMO Marshall is recruiting very obtainable players. With a little more success in the win column, I expect recruiting will step up a bit.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox
                                Originally posted by rrshock
                                He is sticking his neck out pursuing kids that most would think unsignable by the "Lowly Wichita State".
                                IMO Marshall is recruiting very obtainable players. With a little more success in the win column, I expect recruiting will step up a bit.
                                A little winning will go a LONG way with this crew.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X