No announcement yet.

I miss Jim Schaus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim had a presence and visibility when he was here, and very involved.

Comment

Re: Schaus

Originally posted by xazshox
      Hey, I really l iked Schaus, too. He did a great job here. But since he left, it's time to move on. I suppose you have noticed that Phase 1 of fund raising for the new indoor facility has been completed and that an announcement has been made about a new indoor facility at Braeburn for the golf team. Yes, Schaus left WSU in great shape relative to coaching hires! Eric was chosen, in part, because he has excellent connections with people in this town & I think that is showing already. I recently talked to him about securing better TV coverage for the VB team. 2-3 wks later, an announcement was made about a TV package with Ch 22 that covers MBB, WBB & VB, etc. It looks like a pretty good package, too!
      Yes, Schaus left WSU in great shape relative to coaching hires!
      And that is the source of my lament. Mr. Schaus was unbelievable in his recruiting abilities with the ONLY mistake being the women's basketball coach. I just hope that the current administration does everything and I mean everything in their power to maintain the status quo. I'm sure they will but...

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
        Oh ####, here we go again...

T
        Sexton has been on the job - what is it? - six months?

And fans are already concerned that he can't handle the job?

I have this feeling that the program is already slipping in his absence.
        What on earth is it that makes you feel that way? Did some coaches quit that I'm not aware of? Recruiting seems to be going well for all sports. That's usually not a sign of disgruntled coaches.
        Originally posted by Aargh
        Oh ####, here we go again...

T
        The context of that exasperation stems from the "Great Shocker Insecurity Complex" in regards to speculation over which school a current coach might leave us for. My comments on this issue are mostly to reflect how lucky we were to have one of the greatest athletic directors in the nation.

Perhaps Sexton can consult with him on future hires? Maybe we can hire him as a consultant when we look at new coaches. That would be ideal.

T

...8)

Comment

Take a look back at some of the major historical changes in Shocker History. Whether they were good or bad, it usually was the result of the decisions of an athletic director.

How long did we take in finding Jim's replacement? *sigh* I'm still shocked over the appointment of Sexton...

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
            Take a look back at some of the major historical changes in Shocker History. Whether they were good or bad, it usually was the result of the decisions of an athletic director.

How long did we take in finding Jim's replacement? *sigh* I'm still shocked over the appointment of Sexton...

T

...8)
            For all we know Sexton got the job quickly because Jim recommended him for it based on working with him.

Yes we all miss Jim, but since nothing negative has happened under Eric this is stupid. Remember, if you want to credit Jim with hiring the coaches, you need to credit Beggs for hiring Jim, so why would you be quick to question Beggs' judgment when his track record is good?
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

This thread is so lame.

Comment

As much as I like going for the OMG the sky is falling theory myself, I just don't see it happening at WSU yet. Mens programs look like the recruiting and scheduling are fine and improving, as do the womens programs. The only weak spot remains to be the womens BB team and it may be on the upswing. It doesn't appear that this can get much worse, we can only hope for better. Maybe we can turn the corner this year and head in the right direction. That is may be the only criticism of JS is that he took so long to throw the switch on the change in WBB.

Everything else continues to continue right along. I look for the bowling team to remain strong and have hopes for the tennis and golf teams. Coach Lamb is building a great team in Volleyball. One of only three team that are unbeaten. While Coach Stephenson may have lost a lot from the last years team, the man is a legend, I expect a great year yet again from the baseball team.

The only sad point is we don't play football, thank the AD at KU for that.

Comment

The context of that exasperation stems from the "Great Shocker Insecurity Complex" in regards to speculation over which school a current coach might leave us for.
                  BINGO, I have heard from an inside source that the coach with program with the most success right now is getting calls from California.

It is had to say no when home calls.

Just ask Bear Bryant.
                  Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
                    BINGO, I have heard from an inside source that the coach with program with the most success right now is getting calls from California.

True, although this is nothing new for Lambo over the past several years.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
                      The context of that exasperation stems from the "Great Shocker Insecurity Complex" in regards to speculation over which school a current coach might leave us for.

Just ask Bear Bryant.
                      Lambo is a great and I mean great freaking coach but he has a ways to go to find as much success right now or ever as Gene and staff. Not to take anything away from Lambo Because I think he is Probably the best Coach in the Country right now. But Gene has seen more success of recent and long term. I hope Lambo sees just as much and I think he is on the right path to just that right now and for years to come. Lets hope we can keep him around like we have Gene and co. I know your sour on gene though Shirley so I understand wanting to make your statement just to get me and a few others all riled up and defensive.

Comment

I'm by no means predicting doom and gloom but am reminiscing on how great an asset Jim was to this university. We were sooo lucky to find him and I wish we could have found a way to get him to stay. I submit that under no AD's tenure in the history of Wichita State, has there ever been such collective excellence in our competitive sports. If women's basketball wouldn't have been such a failure JS would have had a near perfect record!!

The dismal performance of the women's team shows that what has been going on in WSU athletics was not luck. A bad coaching choice still equates to a loser. Perhaps he got a little overconfident with that selection. She did show that she struggled at her previous job..

Sexton is riding a massive wave of prosperity that was put in place before him. That wave will or has crested. To expect Sexton to be like JS, who was ONE IN A MILLION as far as I'm concerned, is to be naive.

The question that must be answered is, "Did Jim Schaus leave Shocker Athletics in a position so strong that it can be self-sustaining?". That question will be answered within two years. The litmus test will be the Shocker All-Sports Trophy in my opinion.

T

...8)

Comment

Cold ... I pretty much agree with your analysis. First, Jim relied on a pedigree
                          training more than record for Jane. I am bewildered though as to why he stuck with her soooo looonnnng. I predict that Jody may not be as well liked by her players, as Jane was, but that she will win more.

Second, I think it is pretty true that Sexton is riding the wave that Jim started so far. Whether he can ride his own waves remains to be seen? I know Sexton is more locally oriented, but I do not know how much regional or national type influence comes into the job.

Sexton seems to be doing okay, but I get the impression he is a background man. At some point, you have to lead the Athletic Department into the limelight. And yes, the All Sports trophy is a definate litmus test.

Comment

My head is spinning.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                              My head is spinning.
                              Have you had your flu shot Ricky? :)

T

...8)

Comment

I miss Chisel Dustup Palin

I know I just had to run it through the Palin name generator. :D 8)

:goshocks:
                                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                                X