• schedule released

Wichita State University

Athletic Media Relations

1845 Fairmount, Campus Box 18 • Wichita, Kansas 67260-0018
    Phone: 316/978-3265 • Fax: 316/978-3336 • www.goshockers.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Mon., Aug. 27, 2007

Complete 2007-08 Wichita State Men’s Basketball Schedule Set

WICHITA, Kan.-Wichita State’s 2007-08 men’s basketball complete schedule features 17 home games, including LSU, Wyoming and
    UAB, and a trip to the Paradise Jam, where three 2007 NCAA teams are in the field, first-year Wichita State University head coach Gregg
    Marshall announced today.

WSU has the chance to play a total of eight 2007 post-season tournament opponents with Valley-members and NCAA teams Southern
    Illinois and Creighton, as well as NIT qualifiers Missouri State and Bradley. The fourth 2007 postseason team on the non-conference
    schedule is Appalachian State, which played in the 2007 NIT after winning the Southern Conference regular-season, in the return trip of
    the 2007 O’Reilly ESPNU BracketBusters game.

The Shockers open the regular season at home against Arkansas Pine Bluff on Nov. 13, before heading to the Paradise Jam where they
    face Baylor (15-16) and its five returning starters. WSU will then face either Monmouth (12-18) or Notre Dame (24-8, NCAA). The Shockers’ third game of the tournament will be against Charlotte (14-16), Georgia Tech (20-12, NCAA), Illinois-Chicago (14-18) or Winthrop
    (29-5, NCAA).

“This is a very attractive home schedule, and a very, very competitive overall schedule,” Marshall said. “As a head coach, I’ve never had
    this many home games, and with UAB, Wyoming and LSU coming here it is very attractive for Shocker fans.

“We are also continuing the regional series by traveling to UMKC, and with the two away games associated with the BracketBusters
    series, and the trip to the Virgin Islands, it becomes a great blend of home and away games.”

WSU returns home to play host to Wyoming before taking the trip to Boone, N.C., to play Appalachian State. The Shockers then open
    December with home games against Maryland Baltimore County (12-19) and Texas-Arlington (13-17). WSU then takes a trip to Kansas
    City to face UMKC before closing the calendar year with games against SEC-member LSU (17-15) and C-USA member UAB (15-16),
    which is under the direction of second-year head coach Mike Davis, who has secured the No. 9-rated recruiting class in the country.

WSU then opens the Valley schedule Dec. 29 against Drake before playing host to Illinois State. Following the two-game homestand,
    WSU plays four of five on the road before again playing a three-game homestand.

The final non-conference game of the regular-season is the 2008 O’Reilly ESPNU BracketBusters game, which will be played Feb. 22,
    23 or 24, on the road with a place, time and opponent to be announced.

Dates for the State Farm Missouri Valley Conference Basketball Tournament are March 6-9, at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Mo.

In addition, WSU will play host to Arkansas Tech (Nov. 3) and Pittsburg State (Nov. 8), in the two annual exhibition games.

Dates and times are subject to change. Television games will be announced at a later date.

Wichita State returns two starters in 2007-08 from a team that went 17-14 overall and 8-10 in the Missouri Valley Conference, including
    PJ Couisnard (11.8 pts, 5.8 reb.) and Matt Braeuer (6.1 pts./3.3 asts.)

-Wichita State University

2007-08 Wichita State Men’s Basketball Tentative Schedule (8/24/07)

Day Date Opponent Location Time
    SAT. NOV. 3 ARKANSAS TECH (Exhibition) WICHITA 7:05 p.m.
    THURS. NOV. 8 PITTSBURG STATE (Exhibition) WICHITA 7:05 p.m.

TUES. NOV. 13 ARKANSAS PINE BLUFF WICHITA 7:05 p.m.

Fri-Mon. Nov. 16-19 Paradise Jam Tournament St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
    Fri. Nov. 16 vs. Baylor 5 p.m.
    Sat or Sun. Nov. 17 or 18 vs. Notre Dame or Monmouth 7:30 p.m.
    Mon. Nov. 19 vs. Georgia Tech, Charlotte, Illinois-Chicago or Winthrop Noon, 2:30, 5:00 or 7:30 p.m.

SAT. NOV. 24 WYOMING WICHITA 7:05 p.m.

Thurs. Nov. 29 at Appalachian State Boone, N.C. 7:05 p.m.

TUES. DEC. 4 MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY WICHITA 7:05 p.m.
    FRI. DEC. 7 TEXAS-ARLINGTON WICHITA 7:05 p.m.

Sat. Dec. 15 at UMKC Kansas City, Mo. 7:05 p.m.

WED. DEC. 19 LSU WICHITA 7:05 p.m.
    SAT. DEC. 22 UAB WICHITA 7:05 p.m.

SAT. DEC. 29 DRAKE* WICHITA 7:05 p.m.
    TUES. JAN. 1 ILLINOIS STATE* WICHITA 7:05 p.m.

Sat. Jan. 5 at Bradley* Peoria, Ill. 7:05 p.m.
    Tues. Jan. 8 at Missouri State* Springfield, Mo. tba

SAT. JAN. 12 CREIGHTON* WICHITA 7:05 p.m.

Wed. Jan. 16 at Illinois State* Normal, Ill. 7:05 p.m.
    Sat. Jan. 19 at Southern Illinois* Carbondale, Ill. tba

WED. JAN. 23 NORTHERN IOWA* WICHITA 7:05 p.m.
    SAT. JAN. 26 BRADLEY* (MVC-TV) WICHITA 7:05 p.m.
    TUES. JAN. 29 MISSOURI STATE* (ESPNU) WICHITA tba

Sat. Feb. 2 at Creighton* Omaha, Neb. 7:05 p.m.
    Wed. Feb. 6 at Evansville* Evansville, Ind. 7:05 p.m.

SAT. FEB. 9 INDIANA STATE* WICHITA 7:05 p.m.

Wed. Feb. 13 at Northern Iowa* Cedar Falls, Iowa 7:05 p.m.

SAT. FEB. 16 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS* (MVC-TV) WICHITA 6:05 p.m.

Tues. Feb. 19 at Indiana State* Terre Haute, Ind. 7:05 p.m.

Fri-Sun. Feb. 22, 23, or 24 O’Reilly ESPNU BracketBusters+ tba tba

TUES. FEB. 26 EVANSVILLE* WICHITA 7:05 p.m.

Sat. March 1 at Drake* Des Moines, Iowa 7:05 p.m.

State Farm Missouri Valley Conference Tournament (Scottrade Center)
    Thurs. Mar. 6 First Round St. Louis, Mo. tba
    Fri . Mar. 7 Quarterfinals St. Louis, Mo. tba
    Sat . Mar. 8 Semifinals St. Louis, Mo. tba
    Sun. Mar. 9 Championship (CBS) St. Louis, Mo. tba

NCAA Tournament
    March 20-23 NCAA First/Second Rounds
    March 27-30 NCAA Championships - Regionals
    April 5 & 7 NCAA Final Four Alamo Dome, San Antonio, Texas

Schedule Subject to Change/TV Schedule Subject to ChangeAll Times Central
    +BBS series game times and networks to be announced on Feb. 11

Here's the link from goshockers

Printable:

Go Shocks!!!!
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Nice PJ's and MB's senior night is against In State. that ought to be a night to rememeber.
      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Sweet action. About what I suspected with a new coach. Road trips to omaha springfield and kc this year!

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
          Nice PJ's and MB's senior night is against In State. that ought to be a night to rememeber.
          Actually its Evansville.

:D

It should be good though especially with the younger Cooz in the building. Im sure there is going to be a train load of the family in the building.

If there is one game I must go to it is that one.

Comment

At least we don't have to play at CU to end the season. Thank goodness!

Comment

WB Rosewood. Can someone refresh my memory as to our overall record and our Valley Record last year?
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
                WB Rosewood. Can someone refresh my memory as to our overall record and our Valley Record last year?
                17-13 and 8-10. But that was before we got rid of Turg and hired Gregg Marshall (AKA Chuck Norris).
                Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

TY DJ. AZ will like my pre-season picks. Shockers in the Valley this year-----11-7-----overall----22-11. 11's and 7's. I truly believe we will have a better record both in the Valley and overall than last year despite all the changes, new faces, etc. However, a record better then last year should happen even if my expectations are too lofty.
                  I would not be shocked :shock: if we are a top 3 Valley team and even do better then I just predicted in the Valley. It will be quite interesting in Oct. when all the B-ball magazines come out and the predictions are made public. Will we play after the Mo Valley Tourney? FSF thinks yes!!!!!!!
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

At this time of the year it's easy to get pumped. After the Sunday article in the Eagle about using dunks for a conditioning drill - I'm pumped.

The drill was - catch the ball on one side of the lane - stuff it. Move to the other side of the lane - catch it - stuff it. Butler was successful 20 times in a row.

That's an interesting and pretty intense conditioning drill. It includes catching the ball when exhaustion is setting in. Butler can jump - repeatedly - and is in good physical condition. I love players who can go back up the moment they hit the floor and Butler showed he can do it. I don't care if Butler's only offensive skill is to go up - get an offensive board - go back up and stuff it. I'll take 4 years of that. That was Syracuses' entire frontcourt offense last year.

Then Griskenas did it 21 times. Take all the stuff I just said about Butler and add this: Griskenas doesn't seem to be showing any signs of his knee injury, which is why the big-name BCS schools backed off recruiting him.

Then Ellis and Clemente did it about 10 times each. There's a wakeup call. I think Clemente will respond to the challenge. I can't see him backing down from anything.

I think the MVC regular-season winner and the automatic bid are all the NCAA invites the Valley can expect this year. WSU is a realistic contender for top-3, but I can't see winning the regular season. The players are in place for making a run in St. Louis.

I think the Shox keep playing after Arch Madness.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by DJShocker10
                      17-13 and 8-10. But that was before we got rid of Turg and hired Gregg Marshall (AKA Chuck Norris).
                      Unfortunately not many games on national TV this year (espnu, espn2, CSTV, espn).

I guess that's what a disappointing season will do for you. I think in spite of only having 2 starters back and a lot of new guys, the new coach will actually do better than 17-13 and 8-10.

Comment

I am going with 20-10

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                          WSU is a realistic contender for top-3.... The players are in place for making a run in St. Louis.

I think the Shox keep playing after Arch Madness.
                          Especially if we are playing at the speed that GM had Winthrop playing at.
                          That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

Originally posted by wxkid23
                            At least we don't have to play at CU to end the season. Thank goodness!
                            I think somone screwed up in the office, cause we don't play CU after Feb. 2.

Comment

AZ will like my pre-season picks. Shockers in the Valley this year-----11-7-----overall----22-11. 11's and 7's.
                              Couldn't have predicted it better myself. Nice prediction FSF! :good:
                              FINAL FOURS:
                              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                              Number of Times Ranked: 157
                              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                              #3 - Dec. 2017
                              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                              #2 ~ March 2014
                              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                              X