No announcement yet.

Bracket Buster Home/Away Teams Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It appears the Eagle feels the same way Dr. That would be a good matchup, potentially, but would the coaches want to play each other already?

Comment

I don't know Gregg's old assistant at Winthrop but I get the feeling that Gregg would enjoy the moment and the challenge.

The UNC tree kind of started the whole "I don't like playing my mentor/former boss" elitist mantra. That's horse crap imho. If you like a challenge then step up to the plate.

There is absolutely NOTHING I've seen from our new coach that hints of him shying away from a challenge. I know he said he didn't want to play Winthrop until the finals in the preseason tourney but I just have that feeling about him.

I certainly could be wrong.

Comment

I could see where a coach wouldn't want to coach against the kids he recruited. But I'm not sure I fully understand the not wanting to face a former assistant thing. Winthrop would present us a very good challenge and is a game that we very well could lose. But I'd love the chance to play them.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I like it when a coach wants to take on the best possible teams, putting what that can do for his school over personal friendships. I agree with Doc. We had horse manure on this topic in the past and I really don't want anymore.
          In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
            Originally posted by AZ Shocker
            Originally posted by calfan
            One thing that might help would be for the MVC to do a conference challenge against another high level conference not in the BCS.
            And what BCS Conference would take such a risk?
            Great idea, but no way a BCS conference is willing to expose itself in that way.
            He said "not in the BCS", so I am assuming he means the Mountain West, WAC, etc.
            How many "brain farts" am I allowed each year. I gotta be getting close to the limit. lol Thanks for clearing me up TMH. :good:
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
              I just hate seeing our name included in that list of teams...

T

...8)

I am with Cold on this. I hope this is our last year in this event.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989

T

...8)

Its very rarely that I agree with Cold, but this is one instance. Unfortunately, in an interview on Omaha sports radio last season, Doug Elgin said that the MVC was contractually bound to this event many years into the future (Until 2011 maybe?).

Bracketbusters is of no benefit to upper level MVC teams in its current format. I say let the upper tier MVC teams opt out if they desire and leave Bracketbusters to the Evansvilles and Drakes.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
                  Originally posted by shox1989

T

...8)

Its very rarely that I agree with Cold, but this is one instance. Unfortunately, in an interview on Omaha sports radio last season, Doug Elgin said that the MVC was contractually bound to this event many years into the future (Until 2011 maybe?).

Bracketbusters is of no benefit to upper level MVC teams in its current format. I say let the upper tier MVC teams opt out if they desire and leave Bracketbusters to the Evansvilles and Drakes.

2011. That is NOT good. Hopefully there is a way that individual Valley schools can chose to not participate.

Comment

Bracket Busters became "every Mid-Major vs. the MVC" about 3 years ago, and that doesn't look to change anytime soon.
                    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
                      Bracket Busters became "every Mid-Major vs. the MVC" about 3 years ago, and that doesn't look to change anytime soon.
                      I completely agree. How do people form SIU and MSU feel about this? When they announced the showcase games last year, weren't there 6 or 7 MVC teams playing on the ESPN channels?

Maybe Elgin can work out a deal with ESPN to get something else going that will showcase the MVC and another conference and let the bracket busters stay a true "Mid Major" event. I'm sure that most of the other schools that participate would love to see some of the top MVC teams disappear from this event. They might get a game on TV if they do.

Comment

This doesn't seem that tough to me......

There are ACC/BIG 10 matchups etc.

Everyone knows we are never going to get a MVC/BIG 12 matchup.

Why not try to put together a MVC/MWC matchup? Or a MVC/WAC?

You aren't going to get the games on prime time ESPN but that doesn't mean you can't try something else and those games would be much better, on a variety of levels, than BB games......with very few exceptions.

Comment

WSU is not too good for Bracket Busters. We haven't exactly been dominate in the thing, so until we demonstrate that our level of play has exceeded the design and concept of BB, then I say we should continue to play the games.

Comment

I hate to say it, but I agree with KC. As long as WSU has a good record and is in the top three in the Valley we will get a good game from the bracketbusters. I don't really see the difference between the bracketbusters and a MVC/MWC or MVC/WAC challenge. The top three or four in those two leagues would be virtually identical or maybe even less favorable when compared to the 6-10 good to very good mid-major teams out there that are not in the MVC who play in the bracketbusters every year. It's a very simple formula, as long as you are winning and having a successful season there should be no reason to complain about the bracketbusters b/c you will get a good/great matchup. Just win baby.

Comment

At some point, if you want to stop being referred to as "mid major", you have to stop acting like it.

Comment

You guys make EXCELLENT points but you're missing the key element.

PERCEPTION.

Listen, I am all for banging my head against the wall in futilty in an effort to do things right but a defined challenge against a conference PERCEIVED to be above the BB type teams is, in fact, a step up in the minds of the rest of the country. I don't necessarily like it, but unfortunately my satisfaction is not a big factor in this. Would we get a better game than George Mason, App State, Ball State or Austin Peay?

I would argue yes but even if the answer is no most people around the country will THINK it is a better game, they will give us credit for a better game and there would be a greater chance for national exposure.

This day in age you don't have to PROVE yourself worthy for x number of times to proclaim your superiority. You either move ahead or fall behind.
                                You either accept the scraps the big boys give you and say thank you sir may I have another or you take a chance and try to kick in the door.

Put me down on the side for taking a cut.

Comment

Working...
                                X