Transition 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transition 101

A transition game is exciting and fun to watch, but it's not that easy to do.

If there's a player like Terry Benton, Robert Elmore, Xavier McDaniel, Cliff Levingston or Antoine Carr on the team, you send that player to get the rebound. The other 2 frontcourt guys break down either sideline while the guards go full-speed to the basket.

That leaves 4 chances of the defense not covering someone. The guy who gets the rebound has to be able to throw anything ranging from a 10-yard pass to a 20-yard pass hitting a backcourt guy in full stride. The rebounder has to have the passing skills of a D1 scholarship QB.

If there isn't a guy on the team who gets every board, you've got to send 2 guys for the rebound. Now there's only 3 chances of a defensive breakdown and only one option for a short pass.

Turgeon sent 3 guys for rebounds, which left only a deeper, full-speed option for the outlet pass and typically Braeuer streaking to the hoop. That's why WSU's transition game seemed to be Braeuer trying to shoot over taller players at the basket.

Then there's the secondary break. A typical setup is 2 3-point guys hanging out deep and one guy trying to set up for an interior pass. The key to the secondary break is the rebounders beating the opponents down the floor to create a 5-on-4 or 5-on-3 situation.

Tall, skinny guys tend to run faster than tall, bulky guys.

If WSU has a rebounder with an arm like a QB, then Kendall Wright could be a Shocker. Marshall likes tall SG's. Wright runs a 4.4 40 and had a 39" vertical as a SO in HS. Wright is 5'11", but he's a BCS-caliber WR. He can catch the ball.

It doesn't matter how fast a player is or how high he can jump if there's no one who can throw the transition pass to him and that's difficult.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

So what about some small ball once in a while? Check out this lineup. PG-MB---SG---Gal M. SF---PJ PF---Grisk C-Clemente. This small lineup may have some potential in certain situations.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Yeah I think it might FSF! The more I think about that...the more I like that line-up for more than just "certain situations". That definitely has some potential.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Great minds think alike AZ and THAT is what I am talkin about!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
          So what about some small ball once in a while? Check out this lineup. PG-MB---SG---Gal M. SF---PJ PF---Grisk C-Clemente. This small lineup may have some potential in certain situations.
          That would be the "hands" team for the onside kick.
          Sorry, I've got football on the brain...
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

Go KC Chiefs. Larry Johnson is back!!! Football is sorta fun until the Shockers take the stage. :poster_cooz:

Comment

Working...
            X