Marshall's Rotary Club Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall's Rotary Club Address

From today’s Rotary Club meeting…perhaps a sneak preview of the August 30th Alumni breakfast:

Over the past 6 years or so developed a friendship with Doug Elgin who tried to entice him in the Drake opening when Dr. Tom got the job (Gregg said no way). So naturally Elgin immediately called him the day MT left and said the best thing about the WSU job is the combination of Beggs-Schaus. Said it was clearly the best leadership team in the Valley and perhaps the entire nation. With them the possibilities with this job are limitless. GM said that was the main selling point that got him here.

• Gal is the hardest worker on the team.

• Durley has reworked his body and is in great shape…has moved body mass north from his gut up to his chest…“Butler sleeps on a close line while Ellis treads water in a garden hose”…Kerry’s got work to do.

• Clemente is a warrior and someone the fans will love.

• Is hopeful that Orupke will arrive soon but still jumping through international hoops. Said he is an excellent student whose father is an engineer. Expects the Nigerian pipeline to continue. Winthrop assistant coaches were out there on site recruiting. Said 55 of 100 camp attendees were >= 6’7”.

• His overall brand of basketball is predicated among two things – energy (hustle) and defense. Says will mix the defense up and pressure the ball in order to cerate easy buckets.

• On the 30th you’ll hear all about the power of “Welcome to Wichita”

There was more but these are the highlights of which I remember. The Q&A was weak as the white-hairs didn’t say much. Boy is he a polished public speaker. You won’t find too many coaches at any level who are as smooth and down to earth as Gregg. Every time I here this guy I get more excited about the upcoming season and future of Shocker basketball.

Edit:

Oh yeah I forgot he said something interesting along the lines of Antoine Carr’s brother (didn’t indicate which one) called him about the Big Dog getting into coaching and Gregg joked with Schaus, “Oh yeah Jim that reminds me we need to create a position for him!” which got a pretty good laugh. But I found those remarks very interesting to say the least.

Re: Marshall's Rotary Club Address

Great recap. Thanks for sharing!

Originally posted by BostonWu
    Oh yeah I forgot he said something interesting along the lines of Antoine Carr’s brother (didn’t indicate which one) called him about the Big Dog getting into coaching and Gregg joked with Schaus, “Oh yeah Jim that reminds me we need to create a position for him!” which got a pretty good laugh. But I found those remarks very interesting to say the least.
    Assistant Director of Basketball Operations :yes:

Comment

Re: Marshall's Rotary Club Address

Originally posted by RoyalShock
      Great recap. Thanks for sharing!

Assistant Director of Basketball Operations :yes:
      Whatever works. Maybe honorary water boy?

Comment

Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

Greet report. Had to laugh at the comments about Butler and Ellis.

Best news in your report, IMHO, was to hear that J.T. has reported back to school in great shape.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

One other comment I liked, paraphrasing here, : we have great tradition ( which led to the AC comment) and a reputation that he has known about for years. And let's build on that as he would really like to see us 'go to the next level', or 'raise the bar' (or words to that effect) to even higher aspirations each year.

Comment

I love hearing/seeing quotes from Marshall. You just have to love the guy. Thanks for the update from those in attendance.

As far as Carr goes, how about the Director of Student-Athlete Development or whatever it was that KU titled Manning's role.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Lots of great stuff. Thanks Boston. On another thread we are gathering questions for Marshall at the breakfast. Although a nice idea, I don't think we have to worry about Marshall not being informative and entertaining.
                In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                  Greet report. Had to laugh at the comments about Butler and Ellis.

Best news in your report, IMHO, was to hear that J.T. has reported back to school in great shape.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:
                  I agree 100% in regards to J.T. We need him to give us good minutes in the paint, especially with Hart not coming.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Sitter
                    One other comment I liked, paraphrasing here, : we have great tradition ( which led to the AC comment) and a reputation that he has known about for years. And let's build on that as he would really like to see us 'go to the next level', or 'raise the bar' (or words to that effect) to even higher aspirations each year.
                    Marshall took Winthrop as far as they could go. WSU has the backing and foundation to go alot farther than Winthrop ever did, and this is the guy that will take us there.

Comment

Re: "Nigerian Pipeline"

Marshall was paraphrased as saying: "Winthrop assistant coaches were out there on site recruiting. Said 55 of 100 camp attendees were >= 6’7”."

I'm curious why he would mention Winthrop coaches recruiting? Do you think that the statement was merely an observation of the talent pool available over in Nigeria and that it is an oblique way of saying that Wichita State is recruiting that same pool?

Comment

Originally posted by Txlen

Marshall was paraphrased as saying: "Winthrop assistant coaches were out there on site recruiting. Said 55 of 100 camp attendees were >= 6’7”."

I'm curious why he would mention Winthrop coaches recruiting?
                        More likely that he was saying that Winthrop made a commitment to recruiting there and that there was plenty of talent there and that the players he/they were interested in did not come from some transplanted high school coach, but that the recruitment was planned, diligent and rigorous.
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Txlen

I'm curious why he would mention Winthrop coaches recruiting? Do you think that the statement was merely an observation of the talent pool available over in Nigeria and that it is an oblique way of saying that Wichita State is recruiting that same pool?
                          To clarify he was explaining to the crowd that while he was head coach at Winthrop his assistant Randy Peele (current HC) flew out to Lagos, Nigeria and did his due diligence on site. I’m assuming that a lot of D1 programs don’t go to those lengths to recruit African players. Now that CGM has moved on to WSU he plans to continue recruiting that area and with a Nigerian on his staff (although he cannot recruit) it would seem like a natural fit.

Comment

. . . and with a Nigerian on his staff (although he cannot recruit) it would seem like a natural fit.
                            Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think our DoBO can make recruiting phone calls, e-mails, etc. He just can't recruit off campus. But yeah, it's a good fit.

Comment

Would be nice to have AC coaching our post players! What a recruiting tool," Oh by the way the Big Dog will have your back if you come to WSU!".

:goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu: 8)
                              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                              X