No announcement yet.

This Might Be a Dumb Idea, but .......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any players that have really suprised him, or any who might get more playing time then expected?

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound
      RDR...I thought you were the resident English professor? What are "breakfastes?"

If I have the wrong poster...I apologize for my friendly jab :D
      NC, thanks. :good:
      Fixed or more correctly, "corrected."
      I knew in my bones it was wrong, but I was in a big hurry to leave home.
      :)

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
        See the Rotary Club post as he touched on 1 and 2 today. I would also like to know what's his assessment of the local high school talent.

Recruiting questions should always be avoided. I know we all care as much about recruiting as the current team but coaches are not allowed to talk specifically about recruits and to put them in that position isn't fair, imho.

Even if your question is worded perfectly (and I'm not saying it isn't) his answer has to be by definition vague and just leaves too much for interpretation.

Comment

Allow me to expound for one moment.

BW's question is valid and a good one except that it is against NCAA rules to discuss this in public with coaches. But just so you know, if anyone out there is planning to attend the upcoming breakfast and ask "Coach, are you in contact with Cheese Johnson and is there mutual interest with his son?" please plan on meeting the Dr shortly thereafter as I will slap the backside of your head for being a noodlebrain.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
            Allow me to expound for one moment.

BW's question is valid and a good one except that it is against NCAA rules to discuss this in public with coaches. But just so you know, if anyone out there is planning to attend the upcoming breakfast and ask "Coach, are you in contact with Cheese Johnson and is there mutual interest with his son?" please plan on meeting the Dr shortly thereafter as I will slap the backside of your head for being a noodlebrain.
            How many times has this been covered on here now? Every month we all had a big discussion over what the coaches and school can say about recruits. They can be very vague, i.e. We've been recruiting some very highly regarded recruits, blah blah blah. But they can't say we've been to Atlanta watching Cheddar play and have offered him a scholarship.

If you do it, you deserve the smack from the Dr. He'll fix ya good.

Comment

Gotta ask the question about zone. Many, many SN posters really want to know the answer to that.

Here's another one:

How many times have you acted upon a suggestion from a fan? Was that suggestion sent to you via the phone, letter, call in show or an internet message board?

Comment

To increase the interest of Coach Marshall's remarks, I propose to write a letter to Coach Marshall and suggest some topics.

Sorry RDR but I think this "letter thing" is a lame idea. This coach has the greatest personality and will already have his topics lined up to answer a lot of your questions. Unlike the previous closed mouth, introverted coach, this one loves to tell you what's on his agenda and how he proposes to get there. I think your letter is totally unnecessary. He will deliver without prompting. Maybe you can ask your questions in the Q & A part of the breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by WuSlamaJama
                  To increase the interest of Coach Marshall's remarks, I propose to write a letter to Coach Marshall and suggest some topics.

Sorry RDR but I think this "letter thing" is a lame idea. This coach has the greatest personality and will already have his topics lined up to answer a lot of your questions. Unlike the previous closed mouth, introverted coach, this one loves to tell you what's on his agenda and how he proposes to get there. I think your letter is totally unnecessary. He will deliver without prompting. Maybe you can ask your questions in the Q & A part of the breakfast.
                  Slama,

Did you mean "lame" or "totally lame"?

Do you know Coach Marshall personally? If not, why do you believe he will give detail about his agenda?

Your post seems a little hostile toward Coach Turgeon. Do you know him personally?

Thanks for your comment.

I am leaning toward following your advice as well as the advice of others.

Comment

Sorry RDR but I think this "letter thing" is a lame idea.
                    Amen. I'd like to think our coach has better things to do than read a letter and answer a bunch of questions to ease the minds of people on an internet message board.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker4Life
                      Sorry RDR but I think this "letter thing" is a lame idea.
                      Amen. I'd like to think our coach has better things to do than read a letter and answer a bunch of questions to ease the minds of people on an internet message board.
                      I think I understand your perspective.

1. Coach Marshall does not have to read the letter.
                      2. He does not have to answer the questions.
                      3. Perhaps non- internet message board people are interested in the subject.
                      4. I am pretty sure Coaches know fan contact goes with the territory and their big pay checks. Otherwise, why is he having breakfast with a bunch of fans? He has better things to do with his time.

Thanks for your comment.

Comment

I personally think we have answers to all the questions except 5 and maybe 7. I mean really what do you expect the guy to say that he hasnt already. Seems to me he has answered all these questions pretty directly or at least as directly as he can up to now. He is not going to tell you what play he will run at the 7:23 mark of the southern illinois game at home this year cus he doesnt know. i know its the off season and people are desperate for news and something to get excited about but just hang tight people its only a month and a half away now. Just my 2 cents...

Comment

Originally posted by t7017s
                          I personally think we have answers to all the questions except 5 and maybe 7. I mean really what do you expect the guy to say that he hasnt already. Seems to me he has answered all these questions pretty directly or at least as directly as he can up to now. He is not going to tell you what play he will run at the 7:23 mark of the southern illinois game at home this year cus he doesnt know. i know its the off season and people are desperate for news and something to get excited about but just hang tight people its only a month and a half away now. Just my 2 cents...
                          I tend to agree with this statement. Marshall gave us a lot of the answers to those questions when he was hired (i.e. saying that he does play zone, etc). I have no objection to sending in questions in general, but I don't know that in this case it would result in us getting any more information that what he has already given or is already planning to give at the breakfast.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

From the Coach's perspective there is sometimes a fine line between being an avid supportrer of the program and being an annoyance.

I've always tried to keep my e-mails to the Coaches short and sweet. Usually, just to convey congratulations, thanks or encouragement.
                            I figure they may or may not see them anyway.

Not saying this is a dumb idea, however, it might be a waste of your time.

I suspect that these kind of e-mails are not real high on HCGM's list of priorities.

Now if Charles Koch sends an e-mail it probably gets some attention.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                              From the Coach's perspective there is sometimes a fine line between being an avid supportrer of the program and being an annoyance.

I've always tried to keep my e-mails to the Coaches short and sweet. Usually, just to convey congratulations, thanks or encouragement.
                              I figure they may or may not see them anyway.

Not saying this is a dumb idea, however, it might be a waste of your time.

I suspect that these kind of e-mails are not real high on HCGM's list of priorities.

Now if Charles Koch sends an e-mail it probably gets some attention.
                              I am Tom Devlin. Will that work?

Comment

Probably, but if you're really TD than you should be able to ask all the questions you want during your round of golf with HGCM at Flint Hills National.

Or maybe you and he will fly out to Pebble Beach for a quick 18.

:good:

Comment

Working...
                                X