The tools in Bristol are at it again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The tools in Bristol are at it again.

Yes, we're counting down the top 50 programs since 1984-85. But not to be forgotten are Nos. 51-300 in our Prestige Rankings.

I'm sickened. Really, truly sickened by this.

:clap: :wsu_posters: :yahoo: :clap:

For the Valley:

Missouri Valley
    T-53. Southern Illinois
    55. Missouri State
    59. Creighton
    T-102. Bradley
    T-102. Illinois State
    T-148. Evansville
    160. Wichita State
    T-214. Northern Iowa
    T-260. Indiana State
    T-274. Drake

Anything below 150, is supposedly an 'Underachieving' program.

Comment

Do you think they even did anything other than put the names of schools beside random numbers between 51 and 300?

Drake ended the season with an RPI of 10. They're #274. MSU goes from RPI 123 up to #55 - and second in the Valley just behind SIU. Huh?? Evansville goes from RPI 251 all the way up to #148 - and finishes 6th in the Valley - avoiding the play-in round in St. Louis.

It's not just the MVC. Baylor goes from RPI 43 to #266 and a last-place finish in the B12. aTm goes from an RPI of 41 to #174.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
        Do you think they even did anything other than put the names of schools beside random numbers between 51 and 300?

Drake ended the season with an RPI of 10. They're #274. MSU goes from RPI 123 up to #55 - and second in the Valley just behind SIU. Huh?? Evansville goes from RPI 251 all the way up to #148 - and finishes 6th in the Valley - avoiding the play-in round in St. Louis.

It's not just the MVC. Baylor goes from RPI 43 to #266 and a last-place finish in the B12. aTm goes from an RPI of 41 to #174.
        maybe before you get sick you should note that its a ranking of the program since the mid 80's.

Comment

maybe before you get sick you should note that its a ranking of the program since the mid 80's.
          I was wondering about that, but I couldn't find it in the link and I couldn't find a way to get to the main article.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Re: The tools in Bristol are at it again.

Originally posted by HockeyShock
            http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3481843

I'm sickened. Really, truly sickened by this.

:clap: :wsu_posters: :yahoo: :clap:
            Here is the link to the main article:

How do you evaluate the 50 best programs in the modern era of college hoops (since the 1984-85 season, when the NCAA tourney expanded to 64 teams)? That's the issue ESPN's researchers tackled with the Prestige Rankings. Here are programs Nos. 41-50.

Nothing to get sick about. It is what it is. The fact is WSU sucked for the 90's. You must learn from history so you don't repeat it.

What matters is now and what the future holds.

Comment

It is for the last 24 years starting with the 1985 Post season:

excerpt:

We also had to factor in negatives. When your highly seeded team falls flat on its face in the first round against a no-name school, your program loses two points. When your team is caught breaking the rules and the NCAA bans it from the postseason, that is an embarrassment for the fan base. Same thing goes for losing seasons. Both cost your program three points in our rankings.

• National title … 25
              • Title game loss … 20
              • National semifinal loss … 15
              • Elite Eight loss … 10
              • Best record in conference's regular season … 5
              • 30-plus wins in a season … 5
              • Sweet 16 loss … 5
              • Conference tournament title … 3
              • AP first-team All-American … 3
              • Losing in NCAA second round … 3
              • Player in top 10 of NBA draft … 2
              • NCAA first-round win as a 12-16-seed … 2
              • NIT title … 2
              • AP second-team All-American … 2
              • 20-29 wins in a season … 1
              • NCAA tournament berth … 1
              • Postseason NIT berth … 1
              • AP third-team All-American … 1
              • NCAA first-round loss vs. 12-16-seed … -2
              • Losing season … -3
              • Ban from NCAA tournament … -3
              >> Minimum 15 seasons in Division I
              ** Ties are broken by overall winning percentage since the 1984-85 season
              ^^ Teams are listed by their current conferences

Comment

Here is our breakdown

84-85: 9 points (MVC Tourny Champs, NCAA, 1st Team AA, Top 10 Draft)
                85-86: 0 points
                86-87: 5 points (MVC Tourny Champs, NCAA, 20+ wins)
                87-88: 2 points (NCAA, 20+ wins)
                88-89: 1 point (NIT)
                89-90: -3 points (Losing Season)
                90-91: -3 points (Losing Season)
                91-92: -3 points (Losing Season)
                92-93: -3 points (Losing Season)
                93-94: -3 points (Losing Season)
                94-95: -3 points (Losing Season)
                95-96: -3 points (Losing Season)
                96-97: 0 points
                97-98: 0 points
                98-99: -3 points (Losing Season)
                99-00: -3 points (Losing Season)
                00-01: -3 points (Losing Season)
                01-02: 0 points
                02-03: 1 point (NIT)
                03-04: 2 points (NIT, 20+ wins)
                04-05: 2 points (NIT, 20+ wins)
                05-06: 12 points (Best Regular Season MVC Record, NCAA, Sweet 16 Loss, 20+wins)
                06-07: 0 points
                07-08: -3 points (Losing Season)

TOTAL: 1 point

Comment

So much better this decade (as we all knew). shocks771 could you figure the rest of the teams during this decade only so we know how we stand? ;-)
                  In the fast lane

Comment

I understand the other MVC schools being ahead, due to the 90's, except for Evansville. Have they ever had a winning season?

Comment

Evansville used to be real good in basketball.
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez
                        Evansville used to be real good in basketball.
                        Then they did away with the sleeves...
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

So let me get this straight.. Evansville is not an underachieving program? :lol:

That right there pretty much sums up the lack of any sort of credibility in this article.

So, you lose 1 point for a losing season. So going 14-16 in a year is the same as going 6-24? Ya, this article is dumb. It's not even worth looking into it.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I disagree ShockerFever. I think this article is actually pretty good.

Can you really put an argument together showing where WSU is better than Evansville from 1984 to today?

Jim Crews took over at Evansville in 1985 and went 294-209 in 17 seasons. From 1985-2001 Evansville was a very respectable program. Crews took Evansville to the NCAA tournament four times, 1989, 1992, 1993 and 1999 and the NIT two times, 1988 and 1994.

That's 4 NCAA Tournaments and 2 NIT Tournaments for Evansville since 1984 compared to 4 NCAA Tournaments and 4 NIT Tournaments for WSU. The difference is, Evansville did not have a stretch of 10 losing seasons in 12 years, thus they didn't lose all of the points they gained in their successful seasons.

The 1990's killed the Shocks in these rankings and in my opinion we are right where we deserve to be in these rankings. In the 80's and 00's we are a Top 60 program, but in the 90's we were a Mid-Low 200's program. It averages out to 160, which seems right to me.

Comment

I'm not arguing WSU's ranking in this. I'm concerned with Evansville's.

How good was the MCC or whatever the hell conference Evansville came out of in the 80's and 90's? Do you think that may have helped them to avoid so many losing seasons in that stretch? How many NCAA Tournament games have they won in this stretch?

Since 2001, I don't think they've had a winning season. 2001 was also the last time they won a MVC Tourney game if I recall. They've gone way downhill since their 'glory years' of the 80's, if that's what you wanna call them. Evansville has been a borderline 300 RPI team over the last 5 years. That pretty much cancels out any sort of success they had earlier. Most people think recent events help. Evansville hasn't been in the picture for anything in quite sometime.

You thinking Evansville is a better program overall since 85 is just laughable. And to say their program is not underachieving is beyond ludicrous.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                              X