attending tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attending tournaments

as a parent of one of the players can anyone tell me what is the best tournaments to come down for? and is whicita hosting a tourney this season ? thanks dave

The only tournament the Shockers are in is November 16th -19th at St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands. Everything else on the schedule is single games, although sometimes the Shockers play Thursday and Saturday or Saturday and Monday so you can catch 2 games in 3 days. The nonconference schedule is on goshockers.com and the conference schedule should be released by the MVC office very soon. If you can make the St. Thomas trip it should be a lot of fun and some good basketball with Baylor, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech and others in the field.

Comment

thanks

please to meet you shock dad. thanks for the info. it would be nice to come down as much as possible but money is a issue. look forward to seeing you

Comment

One Tourney you MUST attend is the one in the Lou at the beginning of March. :D

It doesn't get much better than that.....
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

go get a vacation and go to the virgin islands. work on that tan!

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22

yea what he said
            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22

Even though I'm a fan of a rival, I'll agree with this. Its hard to explain the environment at the conference tourney. Fans from all the schools wear their colors for days on end. Everywhere you go in STL over that 4 day period you run into MVC fans who love to talk basketball. I know it sounds cliche, but you can feel the intensity and excitement everywhere. Last year the MVC tourney had larger attendence figures than all of the BCS conference tourneys.

Financially, it is also not an overly expensive trip compared to some. Everything you need is within walking distance or accessible by the STL train, so there is no need to rent a car. Since you are a parent of a player, you will probably have access to lodging at reduced rates at the team hotel.

Comment

lowe:
                please to meet you shock dad. thanks for the info. it would be nice to come down as much as possible but money is a issue. look forward to seeing you
                A couple of things to keep in mind when traveling to Wichita; it will be much cheaper if you can fly out of Seattle, or if in the U.S. and not convenient to Seattle, consider flying into Kansas City, Oklahoma City or Tulsa on Southwest (or similar priced Airline) and renting a car to drive the 2-3 hours to Wichita.

I have found the major airline prices into Wichita (except from Seattle) to be 2x-3x the SWA price to KC, Oklahoma City or Tulsa. When I was living in Houston for example, the difference in air costs between flying to Wichita or Oklahoma City, could pay for a week’s lodging in Wichita + the rental car with unlimited mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by rayc
                  lowe:
                  A couple of things to keep in mind when traveling to Wichita; it will be much cheaper if you can fly out of Seattle, or if in the U.S. and not convenient to Seattle, consider flying into Kansas City, Oklahoma City or Tulsa on Southwest (or similar priced Airline) and renting a car to drive the 2-3 hours to Wichita.

I have found the major airline prices into Wichita (except from Seattle) to be 2x-3x the SWA price to KC, Oklahoma City or Tulsa. When I was living in Houston for example, the difference in air costs between flying to Wichita or Oklahoma City, could pay for a week’s lodging in Wichita + the rental car with unlimited mileage.
                  Unless you're coming to/from Vegas, where the choice should be Allegient Air direct to Wichita.

Comment

lowe:

Frontier Airlines is coming to Wichita on October 1st that should drop prices to the West and could provide a cheap option for you.

Comment

When I have to pay, I fly into Ok City. the rental cars are much, much cheaper than KC and it's about 10-15 minutes shorter drive. KC rental car rates are among the highest in the country due to all the taxes and user fees tacked on........................something to keep in mind. Also, the rental cars are in a garage right next to bagage claim so no shuttle riding which can save you another 15-30 minutes.....

:wsu_posters:

Comment

lowe:

I don't know about this anymore. Delta has roundtrippers to LAX for $200-$250. Frontier, like someone else mentioned, will drop ticket prices to the western half. Allegiant is a good bet, but how would you connect to it in Vegas? NWA has some pretty good deals too, you just need to watch them.

Rental cars can get real expensive, real fast, especially when gas is around $2.70 a gallon, and who knows what it will be come this winter. Plus that is the other thing to take into consideration. Winters here are iffy. Some are mild, but when it gets bad, it usually gets bad. 2 inches plus of ice on the road brings out the best drivers in the area.

Comment

I think Allegiant also goes from Vegas to Seattle. I believe you'd have to book both flights seperately though which could be a pain, but I'm not sure as I haven't had to do that.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

My apologies Wichita. I haven’t flown to Wichita in several years, there are more airlines flying in there now then when I was flying there and prices are considerably lower now then 10 or so years ago.

My point was simply if money is an issue, like it is for many of us, check out the difference in fares in flying between U.S. cities and flying from an international destination, it is often substantial.

For some reason I was thinking Brett was from Vancouver B.C., if so, the RT air fare to Wichita from Seattle is $400-$500 per person lower than from Vancouver. For a couple coming to spend a week and catch a game or two, the $1000 difference will go a long way to covering their additional expenses.

Comment

Actually, Brett is from Lambrick Park, Victoria, B.C., but flying out of Seattle probably would be the economical.

Are there any pictures of Brett?

He is listed at 6'7", 235 lbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X