Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SASO, SASF, etc.

This story http://media.www.siude.com/media/sto...-3391153.shtml noted:

Many student-athletes attend SIU on scholarship, but the athletic department cannot foot the bill all by itself.

Helping to offset those costs is the Saluki Athletic Scholarship Fund, which is funded completely through donations. The fund is used to pay a portion of the total scholarship cost for about 350 student-athletes at SIU.

The goal was to raise $1 million and the donations exceeded that expectation, coming in at about $1.1 million, associate athletic director Mark Scally said. The numbers have not been finalized, but Scally said he expects the scholarship costs to top $2 million next year, so the fund will only account for about half of the cost.

In 2007, the total cost of athletic scholarships was about $1.9 million and the fund accounted for more than $875,000 of that total, according to Saluki Media Services.

This does not sound like a lot of money. How much does WSU get from SASO http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticl...DB_OEM_ID=7500? For the 2006-7 (?) or 2007-8 year (?), this link indicates SASO received $3,030,433 http://www.wichita.edu/2007annualrep...y+Support+Type. The link http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/search.asp gives data for all (NCAA) schools.
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

How can they afford football with only $1.1 million? Less overhead?
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Expenses by Team (SIU):
      Football $2,847,945
      Not Allocated by Gender/Sport $8,499,498
      Grand Total Expenses $17,480,799

Revenues by Team (SIU):
      Football $1,042,942
      Not Allocated by Gender/Sport $13,621,827
      Grand Total for all Teams (includes by team and not allocated by gender/sport) $17,545,188

SIU lost $1,805,003 in football in the year represented by the data. The "magic" $13,621,827 may have come from student fees and state money. Kansas does not allow state money to be used for college sports. Some states (e.g. Missouri, Texas) may. I know student fees for sports are rising quickly at SIU, over the objections of the students.
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

When Wichita University entered the State school system it was stipulated that they would not receive financial support for athletics.
        It was no big deal because WU all ready supported it's athletics thru student fees and donations (SASO). The last time I checked KU and
        KSU both receive state money to support athletics. I am not sure what the $ support is but if WSU received the same we would
        probably still have football.
        "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
        which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
          Kansas does not allow state money to be used for college sports.
          Originally posted by ShockerKhan
          The last time I checked KU and KSU both receive state money to support athletics.
          Ok guys, we can't have it both ways. Does Kansas allow state money for sports or not, and if it does, I can't believe that WSU is not getting its share.

Comment

Shox21: Why do you have to be so darned logical? We're sports fans, after all. ;-) :lol:

I'll try and check Kansas law. If I find anything, I'll get back to you.

Comment

Here is a link from the Indy Star from back in 2004/05. It is a report required by the NCAA at the time(click on the revenue tab).
              It shows KSU as receiving $1.5 mil in governmental support. I checked the KU report and their report listed 0. Hard to believe that
              KSU would receive money from the State and not KU. I was told several years ago by a Kansas state rep that both KU ans KSU received
              financial support from the State of Kansas for athletics.
              I guess it could be called something else in the budget but if it walks like a duck...you get the point.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
              which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Wow. WSU got $2,429,889 in student fee money for athletics in 2004-5?

What do these mean?
                Direct Institutional Support: $1,252,135
                Indirect Institutional Support: $921,916
                Other: $335,977

ADDED: Expenses
                Indirect Institutional Support: $921,916

Expense to Revenue Difference
                Football $0
                Men's Basketball $1,052,661
                Women's Basketball $-729,142
                Other $-3,006,589
                Non Program Specific $3,059,855
                Total $376,785

Comment

If I remember correctly the students fees were increased from 64 cents to $1.90 beginning in academic year 2003-2004,
                  which would raise an estimated $542,450 annually for the CKA renovation. In return the students receive 1000 free tickets.

Comment

Working...
                  X