July 9, 2008 Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 9, 2008 Report

1. A staff member said pick-up games for the balance of the month will be played at the Heskitt Center. Volleyball camps will be held in Koch Arena for the balance of the month.

Pick-up games will begin next Monday, July 14 and games will be played on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Start time for the games is 3:30 P.M.

I took his comments to mean that there will not be any pickup games on Thursday and Friday of this week. Disclaimer: I could be wrong about this point.

I am sure about the first three paragraphs above. However, there is not any absolute certainty about the pick-up games.

2. The team ran the mile today. The team was divided into two groups. I think everybody ran it in 6:20 or less. I might be off a few ticks.

Ray Murry ran it in 5:02, which was just off Matt Braeuer's 4:58 record. If Ray had not eased up, he might have broken Matt's record.

Everybody finished. Aaron struggled mightily.

3. The team played pickup after rest.

4. There are so many good players on the team, the competition in practices will be spirited. Credit Cowboy for this observation.

5. I sure wish all of you had the opportunity to watch them play. You would be amazed at the athleticism, skill and depth.

6. I have finally figgered out what happened to Ramon. Ramon is not actually playing. It is his twin brother, Rambo.

7. I really had a nice up close look at Ray Murry today. (His teammates call him Ray and I do not know how to spell Toure.) I am starting to understand the reason Coach Marshall is so high on him. He is a smooth operator.

8. We have two point guards and I am not sure there is a lot of difference between the two players - Reggie and Clevin.

9. There was a player there today, who I have not seen before. He is about 6-3 or 4. He is a terrific traffic player. Very strong. His pants were identical to those of Reggie from Plano - red with a bold black side stripe.
    They might have been high school teammates. He was fun to watch. High energy.

10. Cowboy observed that he hopes the Shockers are a good free throw shooting team next season because the Shockers are going to draw a lot of fouls.

A guy can learn a lot by sitting with and listening to Cowboy.

11. A.J. comes to practice early every day and works on his ball handling skills. He has one technique, which I have never seen before and I hope some learned poster can educate me.

For some of the drills, A.J. wears gloves. They look like garden variety, cotton gloves, not leather. For some drills, he wears gloves. For other drills, he does not wear gloves.

12. Next season, I predict we will run, run, run, run and then run some more.

13. I am not sure how Coach Marshall is going to find minutes for all the players.

14. In the interest of redundacy, you are gonna love the point guards.

15. Today's games were played on one of the practice courts.

At lost on who Cowboy is.
    In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox
      At lost on who Cowboy is.
      Thank you Trop -- I was going to ask but thought better of it. I have asked some pretty elementary questions in the past and didn't want to look like more of a dunderhead than usual. But since YOU asked (and we all know how knowledgeable YOU are), apparently knowing who Cowboy is is not something I should obviously already know.

(Something tells me though that Ricky has just been beggin' for someone to ask.)

Comment

You don't have to look far to find Cowboy...
        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

nyshocker and I went out today about 3:30, we couldn't find anyone at Koch, or the all purpose gym so we went to the heskitt center and they weren't there either after waiting about an hour we left.......we even tried to find Cowboy

Comment

Hi,Iam the Cowboy refered to in this post. I've followed the Shockers since 1948, You can recognize me because I always wear a hat. I use to sit with a group of guys and watch practices, and one day I wore a cowboy hat.......they started calling me Cowboy. I want to thank RDR for the nice things he said about me. RDR really gives a very clear and accurate observations. He also gets confirmation on what he writes about.

Comment

Originally posted by WSU Cowboy
              I've followed the Shockers since 1948.
              :bow: :bow: :bow: :wsu_posters:
              Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

A little more.

16. Clevin was one-on-one with Rambo in open space. Clevin put a knee buckling hesitation move on Rambo and drove for the lay-up, which was much to the glee and approval of the players on the side. 6-6 against 5-10. No contest on this occasion.

It was a great move. Rambo was frozen.

Players usually don't get too excited about above average plays, but on this occasion, they were pretty impressed and excited.

17. More about wing span.

JT had the ball near the sideline and corner. He was not trapped. Normally, he would have enough space for a baseline drive. However, EO was defending. When EO spreads his legs and spreads his arms out wide, it is very intimidating. JT tried a few half hearted head fakes and then gave up the ball.

When JT gives up the ball, it is no small matter. He does not like to pass the ball. He wants to drive or shoot the 3 ball.

Comment

I must say that I really look forward to these topics above all else that comes through shockernet.

Comment

1. I enjoy the reports, Ricky.

2. Keep up the good work.

3. Over and out.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShockFan
                      1. I enjoy the reports, Ricky.

2. Keep up the good work.

3. Over and out.
                      Gracias. De nada.

Comment

I know Cowboy from a business I had. Cowboy eats, drinks, sleeps, dresses, decorates his car and lives anything "Shocker"!

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                          When JT gives up the ball, it is no small matter. He does not like to pass the ball. He wants to drive or shot the 3 ball.
                          Besides his glaring defensive weakness, that is what concerned me most last year and going forward. Sometimes things like that can be chalked up to being a freshman, but in JT's case, I think it's something else.

As our other scoring options develop, I'm sure that will become less and less tolerable by coach Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                            A little more.

16. Clevin was one-on-one with Rambo in open space. Clevin put a knee buckling hesitation move on Rambo and drove for the lay-up, which was much to the glee and approval of the players on the side. 6-6 against 5-10. No contest on this occasion.

It was a great move. Rambo was frozen.

Players usually don't get too excited about above average plays, but on this occasion, they were pretty impressed and excited.
                            Must have attended the Tyrone Shoelace summer camp. Hopefully he didn’t pick up too many bad showboat tricks before the coaches get a hold of him. You do teach the fundamentals and mental approach to the game, right Tyrone?

Comment

Bruce said this morning that according to observers and coaches J. T. Durley has really improved. Haven't seen him so I cant answer that

Comment

Working...
                              X