July 7, 2008 Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 7, 2008 Report

1. From about 4:30 to 5:15 or so, Kerry worked with the team on the gym floor. One of the exercises was using various hopping techniques to hop up the steps from floor level to the top level. I was surprised how well Garrett did. While he labored, he did not quit and to the best of my eye's penetrating gaze, I believe he completed all exercises as Kerry directed.

The hopping exercises were very strenuous.

2. The players were pretty much limited to the scholarship and walk-on players. A guy from New Jersey and Arkansas State played. The guy from Arkansas State is a Wichita lad.

3. Here are the 2008 walk-ons as follows: (I will need some help on the names.)

a. Little Steven
    b. Red head from Hutchinson Juco
    c. Reggie from Plano
    d. Feldner

I know the names are either missing, incorrect or some other horrible error. Royal, feel free to edit my post.

4. The transfer from E. Carolina was there. He was not what I expected at all. I expected a white, 6-8 burley, mix 'em up kind of player. He is just the opposite. He is a black, 6-8, medium build and more of an outside player. I think he probably is a pretty good shooter. In the game, he forced a bunch of 3s. His unforced shots went in for a high percentage.
    Someone will have to help me with his name.

5. Murry was smooth as silk today. Very nice.

6. One of Kerry's exercises was a sprint for the length of the floor and then slides across the end line. Garrett is not a burner, but not horrible either. EO runs pretty well. JT does not run well at all. Maybe, he just did not have his heart in it.

7. I saw JT in skin. He has lost a bunch of the baby fat around the middle.

8. Mantas participated in the Kerry exercises. I was surprised so much stress was put on his knee. He did not play in the games, however. Mantas told us that expects to start playing in August.

9. Cowboy was absent. However, Bucky Walters was there along with a very stocky, short black man, who I think is a coach in the city. He knew all of the players - past, present and future. He is a pretty cool feller. (Feller is southern for fellow.)

10. JT was making most all his 3s today. He loves that shot. I just wish he was better at it. He took EO on a dribble from the corner and along the base line. EO tried to defend, but JT was too strong and quick and took it home.

11. I suspect EO will end up being a four year player. His offense is just not there.

12. Aaron was sure hitting his shots today. He is a streaky guy. He has matured and grown way more confident.

13. The black coach, mentioned above, said Garrett threw up, after the Kerry work. I did not see it personally. It did not affect his participation. He played all games, while I was there.

14. AJ was there again, but he did not play.

I am tired. Maybe I will add to this fine report tomorrow.

RRio

Re: July 7, 2008 Report

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
    4. The transfer from E. Carolina was there. He was not what I expected at all. I expected a white, 6-8 burley, mix 'em up kind of player. He is just the opposite. He is a black, 6-8, medium build and more of an outside player. I think he probably is a pretty good shooter. In the game, he forced a bunch of 3s. His unforced shots went in for a high percentage.
    Gabe Blair.

His name and picture has been on the homepage since he committed. :)

Comment

Re: July 7, 2008 Report

Originally posted by RoyalShock
      Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
      Gabe Blair.

His name and picture has been on the homepage since he committed. :)
      Shocker Football...Alive in '95 errr 2005 errr 2025!!

Comment

Ricky,

Thanks for the reports. Those of us who no longer live in Wichita do appreciate you taking the time to attend the practices and post your observations.

But one question – Do you have a life? :) I'm kidding of course, please keep doing what you do!

Comment

So, who is the redheaded player from Hutch Juco?

Comment

It was Ryan Douvier, a 6-6 forward from Newton.

Also... about EO ... It was just one day, but I've already noticed improvement offensively. He's learned that he has to make his move when he gets the ball, not 5 seconds after. He's not going to be a big scorer. But he's going to be OK.

And .... Felter ... not Fedner ... son of former Shocker John Felter. javascript:emoticon :yes:
            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
              Ricky,

Thanks for the reports. Those of us who no longer live in Wichita do appreciate you taking the time to attend the practices and post your observations.

But one question – Do you have a life? :) I'm kidding of course, please keep doing what you do!
              As Deer Slayer might say, "When you are retired, every day seems like Saturday."

Comment

Douvier quit the team at Newton his senior year as was unhappy with coach. Walked on at Hutch and hardly played. Dont understand why he would try walking on at WSU. Not very good

Comment

I might clarify something I said above.

I do not know for a fact that the above mentioned players are the selected walk-ons. I was told by two persons that they are.

Since the players worked out with the scholarship players and Kerry R., I suspect they, indeed, are the selected walk-ons.

Comment

Douvier didn't go through the drills, but then neither did Gabe, so I'm not sure you can draw conclusions from that.
                    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee
                      Douvier didn't go through the drills, but then neither did Gabe, so I'm not sure you can draw conclusions from that.
                      Oh, Ok.

I was surprised to see little Steven in the drills.

I guess we will know, who the walk-ons are, soon enough.

Comment

The Eagle has said that Steven will in fact be a walk-on.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess my softball game will be cancelled tonight. :(

However, that may mean it's time for me to swing by the Chuck and catch some action. The season can't get here soon enough.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

No, the season can't get here soon enough. It is driving me a little crazy that SN has been so slow lately .... LOL

And speaking of 'Steven', I dropped by for a hamburger lately, and it was over $7. There prices have sure gone up.

Question - Do walkons have to meet any requirements to be a walkon. In other words, do they have to be so good, and can anyone that wants to walkon be one?

Comment

The staff has to accept you as a walk-on. Anyone can ask permission or tryout for a spot, but it's up to the coaches to decide. Considering that Craig and Taylor have gone through WSU it doesn't surprise me that little brother would be one. And the kid isn't horrible and will probably make a nice walk-on type player.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X