Sooner head man gets a raise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sooner head man gets a raise...

Thought this was interesting that a BIG XII coach would be making the same as HCGM last year. Guess they needed to give him a raise to save face...lol.

Capel received a two-year contract extension through July 2014 and had his annual guaranteed compensation go up by $300,000 to $1.05 million, with the raise retroactive to May 1. Capel had agreed in March to those terms, although regents didn't formally approve the deal until Wednesday.

Besides the guaranteed money, the contract includes a stay bonus of $100,000 per year, payable at the conclusion of six years. It also includes a clause that would award Capel a $100,000 bonus should the Sooners win the national title.

Capel had been making $750,000 annually on a contract that ran through June 30, 2012. He is 39-27 in two seasons at Oklahoma and recorded his first NCAA tournament victory as a coach this year against Saint Joseph's. The Sooners lost in the tournament's second round to Louisville.
    Here is the link to the complete story.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
    which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

A stay bonus?

Interesting.

Are they being proactive or did they nearly lose Capel to another program?

Comment

I wonder if he negotiated his own extention or has an agent. I think I would have asked for 300k if I had another offer as leverage.
      "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
      which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

They don't care about basketball at OU. The only games they sell out are Texas, Oklahoma State and KU (every other year). It's too bad, because I think they're going to be a good team next year. Good for Caple to get his raise.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Wasn't Capel's name thrown around for the USC job originally?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
            A stay bonus?

Interesting.

Are they being proactive or did they nearly lose Capel to another program?
            I think he feigned interest in South Carolina for this very reason.

Signing Blake Griffin and Willie Warren woke up some Sooner fans.
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

Whether or not the fans come out for the OU bball program, it remains to be a good job. It's been proven that you can win down there.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                Whether or not the fans come out for the OU bball program, it remains to be a good job. It's been proven that you can win down there.
                I didn't mean to imply that it was a bad job, just a lacklusterly supported one. The fact is basketball in Norman is that thing that happens to pass the time before spring football. Capel can coach knowing that no matter how well he does, he'll never be The Show on campus. Yet he has every resource to rebuild what was a national title contender just a few years ago (2002 FF).

Oklahoma's athletic department as a whole is one of the best in the country. I can't think of many jobs that would be better for a young coach to have. Strong program, low expectations.

Comment

A coach at OU may not be under the intense scrutiny to win that football is but they still have very high expectations to win even though people don't attend the games

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster
                    A coach at OU may not be under the intense scrutiny to win that football is but they still have very high expectations to win even though people don't attend the games
                    Who do you think is under more pressure, Capel or Turgeon?
                    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I'm sure the OU administration expects every team to perform well, but it's a football school and every other program is secondary. If Capel gets his team to the NCAAs, they're happy. Everything above that is gravy.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                        Who do you think is under more pressure, Capel or Turgeon?
                        I'd say Turgeon, because A&M kind of had a good thing going with Gillispie, while Sampson left OU with NCAA violations. Both programs had NCAA Tournament success this decade, although Gillispie's was more recent. IMO that makes Turgon's job harder. Capel came in with lower expectations.

Comment

Remember, Turgeon's in "a no-flippin' win situation".

Comment

quote "Whether or not the fans come out for the OU bball program, it remains to be a good job. It's been proven that you can win down there."

Proven by whom? Tubbs won, who else? Sampson did not prove you could win at OU, he proved you had to cheat to win. Capel's recent "success" would not qualify as "proof." time frame is too short.

Comment

They've been to a final four, this decade. Cheating or not, Sampson took them to a final four. I would consider that winning.

Look at any other BCS program, and it'll become relatively clear that you almost have to cheat to win. It's unfortunate, but true.

Comment

Working...
                              X